Emulating Sounds & Styles
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 16 2011, 09:57 AM
GMC Founder
Emulating different techniques and styles can be very tricky. First check out Ivan's new lesson, "Country Solo Beginner Level", and then post a reply to today's topic.

Have you successfully manage to emulate a new style recently? Are there any tips or tricks you can share about emulating different effects or techniques?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 16 2011, 04:26 PM
Learning Roadie
As far as effects go, it can get really expensive, really quick smile.gif I try not to get too caught up in buying all the right gear. Like they always say, your sound comes mostly from your fingers. This doesn't mean you can ignore your equipment setup completely though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2011, 10:14 PM
GMC:er
A very good point wink.gif Probably 80 percent of your "sound" is from your playing but that other 20 is important too. So once you get the technique down, you still need to have your riggage sound like the tone you are going for. This is a good spot for guitar emulation to come in to play IMHO. It's easy to have hundreds upon hundreds of virtual rigs that sound amazing that are all software. Guitar Rig 4 and Amplitude Metal remain my favs.

QUOTE (Brandon Earman @ Mar 16 2011, 10:26 AM) *
As far as effects go, it can get really expensive, really quick smile.gif I try not to get too caught up in buying all the right gear. Like they always say, your sound comes mostly from your fingers. This doesn't mean you can ignore your equipment setup completely though.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 18 2011, 02:20 PM
Instructor
For emulating different styles it's good to listen various famous style artists just to get an idea what the style is about. Studying the style in theory might help as well. But we can learn the best about the style if we play it on stage and in studio with experienced artists. This way you can learn much more than in any other way. Use of effects and tones is important element, but not something you should spend money on. If in studio, you can borrow guitar/amp that has sound/overdrive suitable for that particular style. Everything else is done with studio FX.
When recording demos at home, any software will do. They are pretty good today, nobody (from the general public) will understand the difference.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 24 2011, 08:11 PM
Instructor
I don't think I've tried to emulate somebody in particular.. at least not for a while.. the last time would have been Michael Schenker, which was incredibly good fun. smile.gif

I think emulating a particular style of phrasing is the quickest and way to sound like somebody.. the sound can be secondary in my opinion, but also an important part. I could play some Schenker style licks, but the wah tone really completes the feel smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:03 PM