8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
What Are Your Weaknesses
Nick325
May 7 2008, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
thanks for the advice daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 8 2008, 10:11 PM
Total lack of creativity or ability in writing music whatsoever. No trying to make myself sound better than I am, but I know SOOOO many cover songs and tunes that whenever I try to make up something new, I accidentally play a lick from a song I know, and end up practicing/playing it for at least 2 hours, because I just love doing that.

I don't really have any technique problems, I've put forth the practice with all techniques to where I have them all pretty much mastered. I love practicing technique because it is progress I can see and is physical progress. I hate trying to write new music, learn how to improvise, try to write songs, or anything else like that because I can't see physical progress.

Good thing I don't plan on taking guitar past a hobby level, I think I will just stick to shred covers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 8 2008, 10:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
May 8 2008, 10:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well Im becoming more and more happy with my writing abilities every day smile.gif
However, my alternate picking and sweeping are horendous sad.gif
Working on it though wink.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 8 2008, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ May 8 2008, 10:12 PM) *
Well Im becoming more and more happy with my writing abilities every day smile.gif

Lol exact opposite of me, I can't stand writing music, or whatever. When I try I always have this impulse in my head that someone either thinks I am very unoriginal or, I suck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SamJ
May 8 2008, 10:26 PM
Downstroke picking is my main weakness at the moment. Anyone know any exercises to improve it?

Thanks. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 9 2008, 12:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ May 7 2008, 12:43 PM) *
Daniel, i'm seeing some of the best one-on-one advice on the forum in this thread, thanks for taking so much time out to help us all smile.gif

No problem everyone.

I know alot of the other instructors are busy with other projects. Myself i am kinda between projects atm so i have a great deal more time to answer specifics at this time. In my opinion alot of learning guitar is about asking questions and applying the answers. Everyone learns at their own pace and some things come more easily then others for some people.

Their are probably techniques that some of you can all do better then myself. And vice versa. The only difference is experience. Because i have been playing for quite some time i can usually pick up new techniques much faster. Not because i am better then any of you but because i have played longer.

I also want to later on down the road start to teach you all how to tap into your creativity, i know that song writing can be daunting in the beginning. But when you learn the tools to play something you need to use your creativity to turn it into something truly unique to you.

Music is so transcendent, lets say you write a song. And by some fluke Yngwie cover your song. He may be able to play it perfectly note for note but it will never express the same message that you can playing the same song. Its a very personal thing. I want to teach you how to reach that level from a creativity standpoint as well as stretch your technical abilities.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 9 2008, 01:04 AM
Weaknesses.

Well Ive always had a good vibrato, and bending . Thats the good part. Im decent at writing lyrics and some other stuff.

Now the Bad.

A problem Ive had for a looooooong time is Alternate Picking.
Its not so much a problem as it is an error in my technique. I orignally thought I was doing Alternate Picking when was really doing some odd form of Economy Picking, If not just Economy Picking. Standard Alternate Picking 3nps runs should be D-U-D, U-D-U

I was playing D-U-D , D-U-D
Its annoying to go to your weekly guitar lesson and the one mistake you consistantly make is a "Double -Down Stroke"

I have never been good at sweep picking, never invested the time it would take to learn it efficiently. I have the time. But my lack of progress stops me from doing it well. Id practice is for 3-hours one day, and be like " Well I Still suck at this, and go watch t.v "

Sometimes when Im practicing I wish I had a little robot to pick out all my mistakes. That way not only would I be knowing what Im doing wrong, but It would help me find ways of correcting it.
Any inventors interested ? laugh.gif

At first glance all my fast speedpicking with inproper technique and my not so smooth legato runs look flashy and appealing to my none guitar playing friends ( And they actually sound clean suprisingly ! ) Yet any real guitar player would suck the lies right out of me and be like " A HA , YOU CANT ALTERNATE PICK NOOBIE ! laugh.gif "

And thats when I would go whine and cry in a corner, because after all thats the truth.

I cant play to a backingtrack to save my life .

At higher speeds I get lost with the metrnome, I can never find a reliable metronome and I really have never done well playing with the metrnome.

Time Signatures confuse me .

Im bad at Theory but I guess I am making steps to improve that.

I suck at memorizing scales. Anything but the pentatonics seems very foriegn to me .

Im semi-decent at improvising. However all of my Improv. vague resembles the last improv. I feel like Im trapped in the Pentatonic Sea and the boat sailed away a long time ago.

I dont have the patience to learn full songs. Either theres never a reliable tab or Im not trained well enough to learn it by ear.

I cant read music, It looks scary.

I think I covered everything laugh.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 9 2008, 01:05 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks a lot for the reply Daniel, and for doing this smile.gif

Yeah, I also find myself listening to all kinds of different music for inspiration, and of course I pick up different elements I try to implement in my playing. Some stuff works, some stuff I'm just not good enough for (Yet!) and some stuff just sounds bad tongue.gif
Other than that I try to keep a healthy view on playing guitar. I can always be better, and if some stuff won't work right away I'll just keep doing it untill I'm happy with the results.
Of course there's stuff that I don't concentrate and spend as much time on as other things but every guitarist must find the style that suits him and getting better at that I think.
I believe I'm a "bad" version of what I want to be eventually so I'm happy practicing as of now although I consider myself a decent guitarplayer smile.gif

I'm off to bed, and dream about the scales I've been practicing biggrin.gif

Thanks again Daniel smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: May 9 2008, 01:05 AM

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 9 2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 7 2008, 01:43 PM) *
My weakness is definitely timing. When I play with the metronome I can play very accurate , but when Im playing with a backing track I lose the track with the first note. So I decided to stop practicing with the metronome , and now I am only practicing over backing tracks. I guess that my band can't be a metronome. I would say I cant play fast too but thats just practicing.

Thanks Daniel.

I can certainly understand this happening because sometimes hearing that metronome click is a crutch in some ways. To physically hear the beats.

When dealing with this particular problem you have to start to study rhythmic basics. In most instances you can take your cue from Bass drum if there is one. From a rhythmic standpoint in a basic 4/4 tempo the bass drum either plays on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4.

This isnt a rule of thumb of course but you have to take notice of where the drums are hitting in the measure of a song. I would urge you to take a backing track that your using to practice with and put down the guitar and study the drums in the track your working on. Count out loud to find the measures, then listen to where each drum sound hits. Does the bass drum land on 1, i.e. the first beat in a measure. or does it fall elsewhere.

If your using a backing track from a fast song, that uses a double kick you have to figure out if its playing 8th notes..16th notes 32nd notes etc.

A metronome hits on every beat in the measure. Percussion in a song would be very boring if it just did that. Hit all the drums at once on each beat.

Accents of the percussion can give you hints too. Alot of times there will be an accent on 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 depending on the song.

Just take the time to find out where the measures are and start developing an internal counting system. I think sometimes...i could be wrong on this but pro players sometimes have things they do that are physically able to seen to keep the beat. Ever wonder why Angus Young hops around the way he does? Watch carefully you will see a pattern to his bouncing around. I always wondered if he does this to keep time.

Anyway just keep working at it you will get it it just takes time and work.

Daniel

QUOTE (besip @ May 7 2008, 01:56 PM) *
My weakness is playing over metronom actualy i'm have problem to listen the beep and play over metronom..specialy now i'm learn Rock solo from trond..and what i'm do i'm not play over metronom but i'm just lets play Trond video and play with him.

somethime i'm allso have little problem with 3 finger power chord..specialy when i'm play some note and then i'm have to switch to 3 finfer power chord

and right now i'm feel somethime creepiness on my right finger...i'm aslo visiting the gym but i'm not sure if the problem is from gym or from playing quitar...hope thats nothing big{hope just the finger and muscle is just tired}

Besip,

Learning to play with a metronome is good, but its not all there is don't take it too hard that you can't do it perfectly right away. It takes time to learn good rhythm habits. Playing along with trond is also helping you, but i would say make sure your not listening to just him. Unless you plan on taking Trond on stage with you someday tongue.gif

He is a very tight rhythm player as far as i am concerned so learning his lessons is an excellent first step to rhythm mastery.

As far as bar chords...the 3 finger power chord your talking about. Watch what notes your playing before changing to them start thinking about conservation of motion sometimes its better to change the fingers your fretting those notes with before doing the power chord, so that your hand is a better posistion to get to the chord as quick as possible.

This is an example, : lets say your going to end up on a 3 finger power chord on the A string 3rd fret...a C bar chord.

Your playing two notes before you hit that chord A on the D string 7th fret and the G on the D string 5th fret. Now you could use your ring finger and index finger to play those two notes then shift to the C bar chord, but wouldnt it make more sense to use your pinky and middle finger to play those two notes then hit the chord? This way your hand is already in place to hit the chord with very little movement.

Start thinking about how your fretting the notes before chord. Think about what fingering would be the easiest for you to make the transistion from the notes to the chords. You want to make the distance as easy as possible to set up where your going to land.

I hope i am not confusing you Besip if i am i am sorry.

Daniel

QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ May 8 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Total lack of creativity or ability in writing music whatsoever. No trying to make myself sound better than I am, but I know SOOOO many cover songs and tunes that whenever I try to make up something new, I accidentally play a lick from a song I know, and end up practicing/playing it for at least 2 hours, because I just love doing that.

I don't really have any technique problems, I've put forth the practice with all techniques to where I have them all pretty much mastered. I love practicing technique because it is progress I can see and is physical progress. I hate trying to write new music, learn how to improvise, try to write songs, or anything else like that because I can't see physical progress.

Good thing I don't plan on taking guitar past a hobby level, I think I will just stick to shred covers.

Well if your happy with where your playing is and your reaching your goals thats most excellent. Don't sell yourself short on creativity though, i know sometimes i think that i can't write either and then inspiration will come from nowhere and a song is born. I would completely understand if you didnt want to pursue any kind of writing, but if you ever do want take it to the next level please by all means ask any of us to help you get there.

Daniel

QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ May 8 2008, 05:12 PM) *

Excellent to hear Stevie,

As far as AP and sweeping, just keep working on it. If you have anything specific you need help with ask myself or any of the other instructors for advice. Keep rockin!

Daniel

QUOTE (Sam Hook @ May 8 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Downstroke picking is my main weakness at the moment. Anyone know any exercises to improve it?

Thanks. wink.gif

Downstroke picking is one of those skills that just comes with repitition because the execution of the technique is very simple but the endurance and speed is more a strengthening issue rather then memorizing a scale or picking pattern.

My suggestion to someone earlier was to develop an exercise for yourself it could be as simple as just downstroke picking 2 chords 4 downstrokes then switch...4 downstrokes then switch.

The goal here though is to speed up and increase endurance, play with a metronome and set the BPM near to your max down picking speed, now play this simple pattern for say 1 minute and 30 seconds. Now every day increase the BPM by 1 or 2 and increase the duration of your excersise by 20 seconds, what your doing here is slowly increasing your speed while also increasing your muscle endurance to do it. Make sure you warm up properly before doing an excersise like this and make sure to stretch afterwards. You want to keep you muscles limber and not stiffen up on you. Every few days take a day off to let your muscles recover then just continue the process till you reach the speed and endurance you need to play what your trying to play.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 9 2008, 02:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 8 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Weaknesses.

Well Ive always had a good vibrato, and bending . Thats the good part. Im decent at writing lyrics and some other stuff.

Now the Bad.

A problem Ive had for a looooooong time is Alternate Picking.
Its not so much a problem as it is an error in my technique. I orignally thought I was doing Alternate Picking when was really doing some odd form of Economy Picking, If not just Economy Picking. Standard Alternate Picking 3nps runs should be D-U-D, U-D-U

I was playing D-U-D , D-U-D
Its annoying to go to your weekly guitar lesson and the one mistake you consistantly make is a "Double -Down Stroke"

I have never been good at sweep picking, never invested the time it would take to learn it efficiently. I have the time. But my lack of progress stops me from doing it well. Id practice is for 3-hours one day, and be like " Well I Still suck at this, and go watch t.v "

Sometimes when Im practicing I wish I had a little robot to pick out all my mistakes. That way not only would I be knowing what Im doing wrong, but It would help me find ways of correcting it.
Any inventors interested ? laugh.gif

At first glance all my fast speedpicking with inproper technique and my not so smooth legato runs look flashy and appealing to my none guitar playing friends ( And they actually sound clean suprisingly ! ) Yet any real guitar player would suck the lies right out of me and be like " A HA , YOU CANT ALTERNATE PICK NOOBIE ! laugh.gif "

And thats when I would go whine and cry in a corner, because after all thats the truth.

I cant play to a backingtrack to save my life .

At higher speeds I get lost with the metrnome, I can never find a reliable metronome and I really have never done well playing with the metrnome.

Time Signatures confuse me .

Im bad at Theory but I guess I am making steps to improve that.

I suck at memorizing scales. Anything but the pentatonics seems very foriegn to me .

Im semi-decent at improvising. However all of my Improv. vague resembles the last improv. I feel like Im trapped in the Pentatonic Sea and the boat sailed away a long time ago.

I dont have the patience to learn full songs. Either theres never a reliable tab or Im not trained well enough to learn it by ear.

I cant read music, It looks scary.

I think I covered everything laugh.gif

As far as the AP thing is concerned at least you have figured out the flaw, unlearning bad habits is harder then learning a new technique. Just keep plugging away at it you will eventually undo the damage..

As far as sweep picking is concerned i found the best way to learn sweep picking is in two steps.

At first just practice what your right hand is going to be doing picking wise. I would suggest just clicking away on a metronome at a decent speed and just play open strings muted on the top 3 strings of the guitar. Now sweep your pick back and forth on those three strings until you can get the "clicks" of your pick to be even, uniform and clean. Keep increasing metronome speed until you reach a point where you are comfortable speed wise. Now for the left hand right hand integration.

This is the very excersise that i did for a long time, starting at the 14th fret G string and sweeping 14th fret G string 13th fret B string 12th fret then back down those three notes. I kept doing this till i could do it anywhere on the neck flawless at speed with smooth uniform tones.

After this when i could do it without thinking much about it i added on the Top E string 15th fret so it looked like this

E------------12---15---12-----------------
B-------13-------------------13-----------
G--14-----------------------------14------
D-------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------

The picking pattern is D-D-D-U-U-U You want to end the top of the pattern with an Up stroke on the 15th fret then pull off to the 12th and U-U-U. Then just starting the pattern again. Practicing this over and over again till i could do it quickly and cleanly. Making sure i kept string noise to a minimum or none exsistant by "rolling" my fingers as well as good palm muting.

Then i started this process over again adding a 4th string i just started with the picking hand again open strings muted sweeping up then down on 4 strings till i got the clicking of the raked notes smooth and even, then going back to 4 string sweep pattern this time. I did this pattern

E----------------15--12---------------------
B-----------14------------13----------------
G------13----------------------14-----------
D--12-------------------------------15------
A---------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------

Just like in the previous section you want the top note to end on an Upstroke and pull over to the 12th fret and down the other direction in an X-shape

Its not very musical but it gets your fretting hand and picking hand to start workinging together.

after this i just kept adding notes and strings, obviously you only have 4 fingers to work with so you have to start barring notes and using more musically sound patterns but i think you get the idea. Work with a little then slowly add more until you can do big patterns. After that its a matter of knowing what key your playing in etc and making sure your shapes conform to the posistion your playing in. That part of it comes later though just learn the very basics at first.

I to get lost with a metronome at higher speeds to some degree your not alone in this. My problem is hearing certain rhythm elements when i go faster for example physically hearing 32nd notes at like 110 BPM i can't feel it unless i work very hard. Normally when working at these speeds i will double the metronome speed to 220 cause i can hear 16th notes much easier, and 16th notes at 220 is the same as 32nd notes at 110.

And i know the frustration of the "Pentatonic blackhole" most guitarists go thru this pentatonic rut, just try to ween yourself off of it by learning some things that arent pentatonic in nature, work on some lessons by David Walliman or Muris, most of their lessons even the easy ones are non- penta in nature you have to start moving your fingers in non pentatonic ways to get out this rut.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: May 9 2008, 02:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 9 2008, 02:48 AM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ May 8 2008, 05:29 PM) *
As far as the AP thing is concerned at least you have figured out the flaw, unlearning bad habits is harder then learning a new technique. Just keep plugging away at it you will eventually undo the damage..

As far as sweep picking is concerned i found the best way to learn sweep picking is in two steps.

At first just practice what your right hand is going to be doing picking wise. I would suggest just clicking away on a metronome at a decent speed and just play open strings muted on the top 3 strings of the guitar. Now sweep your pick back and forth on those three strings until you can get the "clicks" of your pick to be even, uniform and clean. Keep increasing metronome speed until you reach a point where you are comfortable speed wise. Now for the left hand right hand integration.

This is the very excersise that i did for a long time, starting at the 14th fret G string and sweeping 14th fret G string 13th fret B string 12th fret then back down those three notes. I kept doing this till i could do it anywhere on the neck flawless at speed with smooth uniform tones.

After this when i could do it without thinking much about it i added on the Top E string 15th fret so it looked like this

E------------12---15---12-----------------
B-------13-------------------13-----------
G--14-----------------------------14------
D-------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------

The picking pattern is D-D-D-U-U-U You want to end the top of the pattern with an Up stroke on the 15th fret then pull off to the 12th and U-U-U. Then just starting the pattern again. Practicing this over and over again till i could do it quickly and cleanly. Making sure i kept string noise to a minimum or none exsistant by "rolling" my fingers as well as good palm muting.

Then i started this process over again adding a 4th string i just started with the picking hand again open strings muted sweeping up then down on 4 strings till i got the clicking of the raked notes smooth and even, then going back to 4 string sweep pattern this time. I did this pattern

E----------------15--12---------------------
B-----------14------------13----------------
G------13----------------------14-----------
D--12-------------------------------15------
A---------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------

Just like in the previous section you want the top note to end on an Upstroke and pull over to the 12th fret and down the other direction in an X-shape

Its not very musical but it gets your fretting hand and picking hand to start workinging together.

after this i just kept adding notes and strings, obviously you only have 4 fingers to work with so you have to start barring notes and using more musically sound patterns but i think you get the idea. Work with a little then slowly add more until you can do big patterns. After that its a matter of knowing what key your playing in etc and making sure your shapes conform to the posistion your playing in. That part of it comes later though just learn the very basics at first.

I to get lost with a metronome at higher speeds to some degree your not alone in this. My problem is hearing certain rhythm elements when i go faster for example physically hearing 32nd notes at like 110 BPM i can't feel it unless i work very hard. Normally when working at these speeds i will double the metronome speed to 220 cause i can hear 16th notes much easier, and 16th notes at 220 is the same as 32nd notes at 110.

And i know the frustration of the "Pentatonic blackhole" most guitarists go thru this pentatonic rut, just try to ween yourself off of it by learning some things that arent pentatonic in nature, work on some lessons by David Walliman or Muris, most of their lessons even the easy ones are non- penta in nature you have to start moving your fingers in non pentatonic ways to get out this rut.

Daniel

Wow. Thankyou. This post is going to change my guitar life ! biggrin.gif

Are you done publishing your Guitar Bible yet?

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 10 2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ May 8 2008, 09:48 PM) *
Wow. Thankyou. This post is going to change my guitar life ! biggrin.gif

Are you done publishing your Guitar Bible yet?

Lol no not quite yet, but thanks for the idea.....The New Guitar Grimoire...by D.R. Robinson

Lol

Looks funny, nah no text book for me. Although i do write short stories mostly fantasy and Sci-fi stuff. Nothing on a professional level.

My goal here at GMC as an instructor is to teach people not just how to be good guitar players but how to be good musicians, and not from the point of view of technical skills (although that is important) but to be able to reach down inside themselves and find that masterpiece in them thats waiting to be heard by the world.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 13 2008, 12:45 AM
My main weakness is that I am lazy as hell.

+Quote Post
besip
May 13 2008, 06:24 AM
and couple more mine Weaknesses
i'm all ready kno5 5 boxes od minor scale and penta minor scale but when i'm trying to improvise i'm find do my self exactly same bored { deadalive} moves..so every mine iprovising looks almost same

and 1 more i'm wana be more into theory but it's hard for me just read that sad.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 13 2008, 06:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
My distinct lack of Chordal knowledge! unsure.gif Something I really really want to improve on! Just saveing up for a book of chords smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 14 2008, 12:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 12 2008, 07:45 PM) *
My main weakness is that I am lazy as hell.

Guess i might have to send the guitar police to your house....don't make me do it! tongue.gif

Daniel

QUOTE (besip @ May 13 2008, 01:24 AM) *
and couple more mine Weaknesses
i'm all ready kno5 5 boxes od minor scale and penta minor scale but when i'm trying to improvise i'm find do my self exactly same bored { deadalive} moves..so every mine iprovising looks almost same

and 1 more i'm wana be more into theory but it's hard for me just read that sad.gif rolleyes.gif

Besip,

I really do understand where your coming from on the improvisation.

I find myself doing things like this alot, but...when i learn a new lick..or create one i try to incorporate it into my playing as soon as i can. So even though there are basic similarities in the short term, i have a new angle to approach from.

My suggestion to you is take the boxes you know and just figure out a different fingering pattern, it doesnt have to be monstrous, just 4 or 5 notes played in a different way then your used to. Practice that idea over and over so you can get it under your fingers so to speak. Pretty soon the same old improvising ideas you had before take on a new element.

Learning to improvise is like anything else, you take what you know and apply it to whatever your doing at the time. The only way to increase your improv skills is to create and learn new fingering patterns based on the scales you know. Then apply them to your improvising. Keep at it you will get it with time and patience.

The theory part of it i understand it may be much more difficult for you because of the language barrier. Just learn what you can for now and don't worry to hard on it. Just develop your own sense of music first and let the theory be just a guideline down the road.

Theory is just that...a theory, music has no right or wrong, only what is pleasing and what is not. And what is purely pleasing to you may not be to someone else. It doesnt mean your wrong, it only means that the other person doesnt understand your point of view.

Daniel

QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 13 2008, 01:05 PM) *
My distinct lack of Chordal knowledge! unsure.gif Something I really really want to improve on! Just saveing up for a book of chords smile.gif

Having a chord dictionary is very helpful, but there are other aspects of it you need to reach into to help you fully understand chording. I am no authority on the subject there are still areas i am fuzzy on.

A good first step though is learning the notes on the fretboard. Once you can recall any note on any fret at any time. Then start learning what composes a chord....from a basic standpoint...root , 3rd and 5th. Then start learning what it means to have a 7th chord or an 11th chord for example.

Once you know all the notes on the fret board and understand what makes up a major or minor chord..a 7th chord etc, then you won't need the chord dictionary anymore because you will see any chord in any shape anywhere on the fretboard.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: May 14 2008, 12:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex87
May 18 2008, 05:33 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ May 7 2008, 07:20 PM) *
What is it specifically your having trouble with in your picking Alex? Its also possible to that your overworking yourself this can contribute to "bad days" your muscles need time to recover from extended practice sessions. If you don't allow yourself to recover your muscles will have a tough time obeying you.

But if you can give some specific about what it is your having trouble with maybe we can help you better.

Saying your picking isnt tight for example...what isnt tight about it? Are you having difficulty sounding notes cleanly? or is your picking rhythm inconsistent? Its just too vague for me to offer any advice.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, sorry for the slow reply.
Its mostly timing that's the problem, when doing alternate picking. ofcourse its easier to follow a metronome at slower tempo but in general it can be hard to keep it up when i for example practice a pentatonic scale up and down maybe 10 times in a row. but i think you are right about letting your muscles relax a bit, because it helped already.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender Lead I - 1979, Hamer Steven Stevens sign. (modified) - 1986, Cort western, Santana acoustic

Amps:
Laney Lionheart LH5, Roland Cube 20 (the original orange one)

Effects (on board):
Boss TU-2 Tuner, Homebrew CPR Compressor, EHX Small Stone, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive, Mad Professor Mellow Yellow Tremolo, Boss DD-2, Carl Martin DeLayla XL, TC Electronic SCF1 Chorus/Flanger/Pitch Mod.

Effects (spare):
Boss OD-1 Overdrive, Boss CE-2 Chrous, Boss CS-1 Compressor, Schaller Volume Control, Boss PH-2 Phaser, Boss RV-2 Reverb

+Quote Post
at lights end
May 18 2008, 05:39 PM
i can't play long AP runs. my hands seem to go out of sync about halfway through or i pause.
im just playing it slower, hopefully ill get past it. seen some improvements already.

This post has been edited by at lights end: May 18 2008, 05:40 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 18 2008, 05:44 PM
women.... cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
May 19 2008, 08:45 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 5 2008, 08:17 AM) *
I just cant operate that thing without it sounding drunk smile.gif

I know that feeling.......

Sweeping has always been an issue for me along with speedpicking.
Both I get very frustrated with and wish I could just matrix it into my head

QUOTE (mattacuk @ May 13 2008, 01:05 PM) *

Mattacuk-
check this out for now http://www.guitarnotes.com/guitar/notes2/ultimate11.shtml

This post has been edited by Hammerin Hank: May 19 2008, 08:49 PM

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:53 AM