5 Pentatonic Boxes For Begginers, Student Instructor lesson!
coffeeman
Mar 13 2010, 01:21 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker

Introduction
Hi guys my name is Andres Cuellar Wills.I'm from Bogota, Colombia. I guess a lot of you know me from a while now, but for those who don't here's the short story. I'm 34 years old, I started playing when I was 17 , and played for a couple of years. After about 10 years of not touching the guitar I decided to pick it up again 3 years ago. I suscribed to GMC in september 2008 and it's been awesome.

I listen to a lot of music, but am a Rock guy. My favourite guitar players are David Gilmour, Slash, Brian May, Zakk Wylde, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Johnson, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, and the list goes on. My favorite bands are Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters , pearl jam, alice in chains, faith no more, stone temple pilots, rage against the machine, MUSE and a lot more.

unfortunately I don't work in the music business, but I do love my job. I have my own business of Colombian Coffee(now you know why my nickname). I'm planning on realising my first CD this year, you can listen to a couple of tracks am working on at the moment Myspace.

Lesson
Maybe this is the first scale we all learn. The thing is that a lot of us , learn only the first position on the minor pentatonic scale. In this lesson you will find a simple excercise to learn the 5 positions of the pentatonic scale over a cool rock backing track, we'll learn it over the G minor pentatonic scale, that way we can cover the whole neck. Let's take a look at the main video and then we'll continue explaining the whole lesson:
Main Video

First position

This is the first position of the G minor pentatonic scale. It's the most comon position. The first pattern is a simple scale run in 16th notes , and in the second pattern we'll repeat some notes to make it more interesting and to repeat it a lot so we can memorize it.

e|-------------------------3-6-6-3-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------3-6-----|
b|--------------------3-6----------6-3------------------------------------------------------------------3-6-----3-6-3-6----------|
g|---------------3-5-------------------5-3--------------------------------------------3-5----3-5-3-5-----3-5--------------------|
d|----------3-5----------------------------5-3-----------------------3-5----3-5-3-5----3-5--------------------------------------|
a|-----3-5-------------------------------------5-3----------3-5-3-5----3-5-------------------------------------------------------|
e|-3-6----------------------------------------------6-3-3-6------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Second Position

This is a very important position, its the first position of the major pentatonic. In this case it sounds major cause we are playing a Bb Major chord on the backing track. We'll use the same pattern as in the previous video.

e|-8-6-----------------------------------------------------6-8-8-6--------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|-------8-6------------------------------------------6-8-----------8-6-8-6------8-6------------------------------------------------------------|
g|------------7-5--------------------------------5-7--------------------------7-5------7-5-7-5-------7-5---------------------------------------|
d|-----------------8-5---------------------5-8-----------------------------------------------------8-5------8-5-8-5------8-5-------------------|
a|----------------------8-5-----------5-8------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-5------8-5-8-5---------|
e|---------------------------8-6-6-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-6----|

Third Position

Ok we now know the two first positions, now let's take a look at third position. Same pattern. Take a good look at the fingering, of course you don't hace to do it like I do , find a comfortable way of doing it, and once you are comfortable with it, practice it up to tempo, but remeber go slowly, learn the position up and down very slow.

e|----------------------------------8-10-10-8------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|----------------------------8-11-------------11-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------8-11------8-11|
g|---------------------7-10--------------------------10-7-----------------------------------------------------------------7-10-------7-10-7-10-------7-10------|
d|--------------8-10----------------------------------------10-8--------------------------------8-10-------8-10-8-10--------8-10-------------------------------|
a|-------8-10-----------------------------------------------------10-8-------------8-10-8-10-------8-10---------------------------------------------------------|
e|-8-10-----------------------------------------------------------------10-8-8-10----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|--------8-10----------------|
b|-8-11-----------------------|
g|-----------------------------|
d|-----------------------------|
a|-----------------------------|
e|-----------------------------|

4Th Position

4th position, same pattern as second position starrting on the 10th fret on the high E string.

e|-13-10----------------------------------------------------------------------------------10-13-13-10-------------------------------------------------------------|
b|---------13-11------------------------------------------------------------------11-13-----------------13-11-13-11----------13-11----------------------------|
g|-----------------12-10-------------------------------------------------10-12-------------------------------------------12-10---------12-10-12-10------------|
d|-------------------------12-10---------------------------------10-12-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-10----|
a|---------------------------------13-10-----------------10-13------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
e|-----------------------------------------13-10-10-13--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|--12-10----------------------------------------------------------|
d|----------12-10-12-10---------12-10--------------------------|
a|--------------------------13-10---------13-10-13-10----------|
e|-----------------------------------------------------------13-10-|

5th position

Same Pattern as 1st and 3rd position

e|-----------------------------------------13-15-15-13-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|---------------------------------13-15-----------------15-13---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|-------------------------12-15---------------------------------15-12---------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-15---|
d|-----------------12-15-------------------------------------------------15-12-----------------------------------------12-15---------12-15-12-15-----------|
a|---------13-15-----------------------------------------------------------------15-13-----------------13-15-13-15---------13-15---------------------------|
e|-13-15---------------------------------------------------------------------------------15-13-13-15-----------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------13-15--|
b|-------------------------13-15---------13-15-13-15----------|
g|---------12-15-12-15---------12-15--------------------------|
d|-12-15----------------------------------------------------------|
a|------------------------------------------------------------------|
e|------------------------------------------------------------------|

First position one octave higher

Same pattern as positions 2 , 4 , and we finish with this one.

e|-18-15----------------------------------------------------------------------------------15-18-18-15-------------------------------------------------------------|
b|---------18-15------------------------------------------------------------------15-18-----------------18-15-18-15----------18-15----------------------------|
g|-----------------17-15-------------------------------------------------15-17-------------------------------------------17-15---------17-15-17-15------------|
d|-------------------------17-15---------------------------------15-17-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------17-15----|
a|---------------------------------17-15-----------------15-17------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
e|-----------------------------------------18-15-15-18--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
b|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
g|--17-15------------------------------------------------------------------|
d|----------17-15-17-15---------17-15-----------------------------17--|
a|--------------------------17-15---------17-15-17-15------------------|
e|-----------------------------------------------------------18-15---------|

Here is the G minor pentatonic over the whole neck:

G minor pentatonic scale

The lesson is in 100 Bpm , but I have provided 5 backing tracks at different tempos so you can practice it at different speeds.

Attached File  SI_pentatonicbegBT_60bpm.mp3 ( 2.04MB ) Number of downloads: 489

Attached File  SI_pentatonicbegBT_70bpm.mp3 ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 398

Attached File  SI_pentatonicbegBT_80bpm.mp3 ( 1.54MB ) Number of downloads: 388

Attached File  SI_pentatonicbegBT_90bpm.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 286

Attached File  SI_pentatonicbegBT_100bpm.mp3 ( 1.26MB ) Number of downloads: 291

Here is the guitar pro tab with the whole lesson:

Attached File  Pentatonic_begginer_SI.gp5 ( 4.77K ) Number of downloads: 299

Although I recommend you to prcatice it over the BT and not over the guitar pro file, use the GP file only as a refference.

So this is it guys , I hope you enjoy the lesson. I would love to hear comments about it , and advices on how to improve for the next lessons. Keep practicing and see you around.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Mar 25 2010, 03:00 AM

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 13 2010, 11:38 PM
Instructor
This is a great lesson!! thanks for sharing it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Mar 14 2010, 01:19 AM
GMC:er
Ahhhh yes!
Thank you for the lesson, I am practicing my 5 shapes (this is a great lesson) but would love to have some advice on where the bends and rests are best used. I'm slowly figuring this out... huh.gif but for example, the 7th seems to lend itself to a bend into resolution... but some notes are just not meant to be bent! Also if I'm playing I-IV-V do I stay in the pentatonic scale of the 1st, or change scale with each chord change (solo in the key of the I, then in the key of the IV...) ... or is it just my choice? huh.gif mellow.gif huh.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 14 2010, 02:17 AM
Instructor
Great material man. Very nice to have in this huge database.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
zen
Mar 14 2010, 05:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hello Coffeeman, Thanks for this lesson smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Mar 14 2010, 05:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Great body of work, man. Thanks for sharing!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 14 2010, 01:36 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Great stuff Coffeeman! I'm adding this to the knowledge base SI portal inmediatly smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Mar 14 2010, 04:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great Job Coffeeman ... Thank you for this.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Mar 14 2010, 09:36 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Nicely done Andres and well appreciated. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Deleted
Mar 14 2010, 10:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for your videos! Ivan Milenkovich also explains this in his Caged package lessons which are really useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Mar 15 2010, 02:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys, I hope it can help a lot of GMCers. I'll try to upload a couple of new lessons.
I really appreciate your comments.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 16 2010, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Just added this one to the Knowledge Base, will feature it on the SI portal too smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...nners_SI_Lesson

This post has been edited by Fran: Mar 16 2010, 05:46 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Boson
Mar 18 2010, 10:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Good stuff Coffeeman, excellent for us beginners.

However I think the tab you have given is for Am pentatonic but you play Gm pentatonic. I know this is good in that you can move the shapes but might be confusing to some.

Could you follow this up maybe with a lesson on joining the shapes

By the way thefirst video is a great demo of AP.

Thanks

This post has been edited by Boson: Mar 18 2010, 10:27 PM

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 25 2010, 02:32 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Coffeeman,

Good stuff.

Somehow I can't see the tabs properly. Please see if you have coded it right. You can use

for the tabs.

Here is a screenshot. Attached Image

Thanks mate.

maharzan

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Mar 25 2010, 03:02 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Boson @ Mar 18 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Good stuff Coffeeman, excellent for us beginners.

However I think the tab you have given is for Am pentatonic but you play Gm pentatonic. I know this is good in that you can move the shapes but might be confusing to some.

Could you follow this up maybe with a lesson on joining the shapes

By the way thefirst video is a great demo of AP.

Thanks

thanks for the correction man , the first box was wrong , I tabbed the Am pentatonic, but now it is corrected, I'm planning on doing two more pentatonic SI lessons. Thanks for the comments.

QUOTE (maharzan @ Mar 24 2010, 08:32 PM) *
Hey Coffeeman,

Good stuff.

Somehow I can't see the tabs properly. Please see if you have coded it right. You can use

for the tabs.

Here is a screenshot. Attached Image

Thanks mate.

maharzan

That's very strange I can see the properly but i'll try to use the code you are giving me, thanks a lot!

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:48 PM