2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Kristofer Dahl: Red Shot, My new instrumenatal video
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2010, 10:00 PM
GMC Founder
Hey guys - finally I have the pleasure to present new material!

This one was a lot of fun to do and I am currently very inspired to write more instrumental material.

Recoding wise I did a lot of stuff differently with this tune. I kept it very simple with a minimum amount of overdubs. I ended up with only five tracks + drums, compare that to my usual 50-60 tracks! As a substitute for lots of panned dubs (etc) I worked more with delays/chorus/pitch shifting etc.

This method of working saved me a lot of time, since I am quite slow at nailing tight rhythm guitars and mixing a song, and in my opinion this gave a more dynamic/real sounding mix. On the negative side the mix is is a little thinner - but I find that ok for this kind of guitar tune.

I have also sold off some of my old gear (including my beloved working horse amp Peavey XXX) and bought a Mark V combo and a line6 M13 pedal.

Thanks to the M13 (and more specifically its' tube compressor imitation) I rely on a real bass for the first time - I have never got decent real bass to sound good before - but this time I got something which I thought worked. It was a lot of fun to play bass! =)

The Mark V is a chapter on its' own (I am sure Rokchik will agree) and for those interested I can do more demos of it. For this tune I used the Mark I channel for all guitars.

I have also rediscovered my Parker guitar which I now find gives a very uncolored/natural guitar sound - as opposed to my strat which ads a lot of midrange and compression to the tone. I think part of the reason I am hearing this now is because of my new amp! Either way I recorded all guitars with the parker which I haven't used for recordings for a long time.

As usual I am grateful for any questions/comments you have - and you can expect a more extensive coverage of this tune in lessons to come!

Guitaring rocks!! tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wabba
May 15 2010, 10:22 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Very cool song, and i like the video too tongue.gif

And yeah, line6 M13 rules! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2010, 10:29 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Wabba @ May 15 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Very cool song, and i like the video too tongue.gif

And yeah, line6 M13 rules! smile.gif

Thanks Wabba - glad you liked the video as well, I wanted to try something new!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 15 2010, 10:44 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think your new approach to recording and mixing is paying off, The mix may be thinner but I think your tone and the song itself beef it up, Riffs are wicked, So as always, great job!

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 15 2010, 10:51 PM
Instructor
i like it very much kris, love your playing presence too, you look great playing!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 15 2010, 11:00 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Very nice Kris!!!
Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 15 2010, 11:19 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 15 2010, 11:51 PM) *
i like it very much kris, love your playing presence too, you look great playing!

Hehe thanks Adrian - I tried to think about that when recording the video (you do a great job yourself!). I have to say I find it to be a pain because if I try to look cool I immediately start to play really bad and sloppy - but I know it will eventually come naturally.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 15 2010, 11:44 PM) *
I think your new approach to recording and mixing is paying off, The mix may be thinner but I think your tone and the song itself beef it up, Riffs are wicked, So as always, great job!

Thanks Brett - yes for this kind of tune I really don't try to think a lot about the average listener...this is good because it makes you "riff away" in a way you would never do when trying to write a more easily-digestible tune.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 16 2010, 10:57 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (audiopaal @ May 16 2010, 12:00 AM) *
Very nice Kris!!!
Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

Thanks Paal your feedback is always appreciated - let me know if you got any thoughts about the master/mix this time!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 16 2010, 11:18 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Was just about to comment yesterday when my computer crashed... bad omen!!! laugh.gif

I liked the tone a lot. I'm not so much for instrumental music though unsure.gif I think it's a good idea to keep it simple not overdoing the production, to my ears such a production sounds better where bands skip all the bells and whistles in the extra 50 tracks.

Congratulations on the new toys biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
May 16 2010, 12:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Absolutely wicked!! biggrin.gif Once again, I've got to grab my guitar because of you, Kris!

+Quote Post
zen
May 16 2010, 12:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great sound and catchy licks mate.. Very well done . Call me old fashioned but I loved the chuga chuga riff starting at 0:21 .. Simple yet so effective smile.gif
They add a great punch to the song ..
Post more smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 16 2010, 01:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Be careful GMCers inside this strobe i beleieve Kris has hidden subliminal messages
I haven't figured them out yet, but Kris
We are on to you

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: May 16 2010, 01:56 PM

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
May 16 2010, 02:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Kris, very nice work here. I especially like at 1:14 when you play those groovy licks and then start again. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 16 2010, 03:59 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 16 2010, 02:56 PM) *
Be careful GMCers inside this strobe i beleieve Kris has hidden subliminal messages
I haven't figured them out yet, but Kris
We are on to you

Oh no I better hide then! tongue.gif

QUOTE (zen @ May 16 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Great sound and catchy licks mate.. Very well done . Call me old fashioned but I loved the chuga chuga riff starting at 0:21 .. Simple yet so effective smile.gif
They add a great punch to the song ..
Post more smile.gif

Thanks - we're two then, old fashioned stuff can be very cool. Chuga chuga is also a lot of fun to play! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 16 2010, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 15 2010, 05:19 PM) *
Hehe thanks Adrian - I tried to think about that when recording the video (you do a great job yourself!). I have to say I find it to be a pain because if I try to look cool I immediately start to play really bad and sloppy - but I know it will eventually come naturally.

That's the only problem biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
you are looking super cool but at the same time you are completely out of key biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Fran
May 16 2010, 05:14 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It has great riffing and catchy licks that stick in your head, I'd say this one is among your best Kris!

Oh, and congrats on the Mark V & M13, cool "toys" indeed cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
May 16 2010, 07:41 PM
Instructor
hey kris, thinking on that line6, is it a good buy? need some to carry to the gigs, and i don't feel like putting a pedalboard together at this moment.

i think i could use my cry baby - > line 6 -> some good overdrive pedal on the loop -> amp return

can i put the overdrive after the compressor but before the modulation effects?

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
alvaroshredd
May 16 2010, 09:22 PM
GMC:er
The first riff you played is amazing man kind of slayer dark sound love your song good luck with it!

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
May 16 2010, 09:32 PM
Learning Roadie
The swingy shred licks are awesome, but the people has voted: We want more chuga chuga! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 16 2010, 09:49 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ May 16 2010, 08:41 PM) *
hey kris, thinking on that line6, is it a good buy? need some to carry to the gigs, and i don't feel like putting a pedalboard together at this moment.

i think i could use my cry baby - > line 6 -> some good overdrive pedal on the loop -> amp return

can i put the overdrive after the compressor but before the modulation effects?

Yes it can definitely be done - it's extremely versatile, you can put the effect loop wherever you want, the effects in whichever order you want + you can create 12 different scenes to change it all at the touch of a button.

You can also use an expression pedal with the M13 but I don't know how it compares to a crybaby.

Using an external overdrive pedal sounds like a great idea - I think the overdrives/distortions are the weakest part of the pedal.

I currently use a tube screamer first in the chain (before the M13) - what are the advantages of having it in the loop? I know a lot of people do that.

QUOTE (alvaroshredd @ May 16 2010, 10:22 PM) *
The first riff you played is amazing man kind of slayer dark sound love your song good luck with it!

Thanks Alvaro - I am very proud I inspired your first post on the forum, I hope there will be more of them! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kristian Hyvarinen @ May 16 2010, 10:32 PM) *
The swingy shred licks are awesome, but the people has voted: We want more chuga chuga! biggrin.gif

Hehe well then there is no turning back for me!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:35 AM