> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 25: Alternate Picking, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Tom51
Dec 22 2014, 09:20 AM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 25: Alternate Picking by Bear Rose

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 22 2014, 11:42 AM
Instructor
Hey matey smile.gif

It's me again biggrin.gif Nice to see you working hard and posting things in the REC Zone wink.gif

Now - I would like to make a few suggestions that will help you improve this one:

Mechanics:

- right hand - it's too rigid - you have a tendency of tensing up when playing and it's visible - the wrist stays locked instead of loose and that will only hinder you on the long run
- left hand - just like in the previous take, the thumb sticks out and it only leads to tensing up. Also, the hand shifting looks rigid.

The overall key - relax smile.gif

Timing can be improved as some of the shifts are not on the beat and some of the notes are missing when picking. Please try to make a recording against the original track in order to notice these differences yourself and I am certain that you will be able to come up with a better take.

All the best!

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2014, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Hi man, I see you're on the alternate picking as well as legato - good !

Ok, the way you're holding the pick means that you'll find it more difficult to maintain a consistent grip and the moment it hits the strings it moves the pick a lot more than it would if you used a more 'traditional' grip. Please have a look at this lesson about using a guitar pick. Watch the whole thing but first, check out video 2

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Using-a-Guitar-Pick/

I notice that you're playing careful attention to keeping your pick strokes very small. This is a good habit to develop but at these low speeds you don't need to make them that small. It's ok to let your hand move 'in rhythm' and not just rely on the thumb and forefinger.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 22 2014, 06:59 PM
Instructor
Hey again smile.gif Very good attitude! Keep working that hard adn You'll see much progress very soon smile.gif Your right hand seems to be a bit shy. It's similar to chords lesson - try to engage more of Your wrist motion.

Also I would like to invite You to spent some time to watch my alternate picking lesson. It's not about trying to post a take over included excersise. It's to help You see some more solution on how to grab a pick and how hand and pick angles affect the way we play.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...Picking-Basics/

Why do it propose this? I have some concerns about the way You hold the pick. Most of us don't use the flat part / print of the 1st finger. We usually use it's side to rest the pick. Side is lex flexible and it gives more stable pick grip with less strength engaged. At the point You are now it is more than important to carefuly watch how players move and angle their hands while playing than the notes played in the lessons. That's the main target in the lessons of this level. We are trying to help with overall pbody behavior for the guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 24 2014, 05:27 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM