Lemon Pie Trio Ep, I've recorded some songs
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 9 2011, 04:06 AM
Instructor
Well, this topic actually is made for Tony Miro hehe.
I'm looking forward to read his comments about the mix of these songs, but...that doesn't mean that you cannot comment as well biggrin.gif

Let me explain what's on the MP3s.

Theres a drum kit: recorded in a little studio of a friend of mine
Piano: That's my Korg N364 recorded at my little studio
Voice: Recorded also on my studio with a Shure 8700 (a mic that Gabe lent me)
Guitar with the last two strings of a bass: Also recorded in my studio
Tiple (a Colombian guitar): also recorded with the Shure 8700
Percussion set (caxixi, cow bells, jamblocks, bongoes): the same of the Tiple and the voice
Trumpets and trombones: there are some recorded here in my studio and some are programmed by me.

I've used mostly iZotope Ozone 4, Abbey Road (to give bright) and some BBE plugins. The mix isn't finished but it's close to be because it's close to what I had in my mind.

The little EP is made of five songs, I just attached two of them: one more like a trio and the other has some trumpets and trombones.

So, Tony, I know you're a master in the audio area and I was looking for some piece of advices if it's not too much to ask biggrin.gif

Thanx in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Como_fue.mp3 ( 10.8MB ) Number of downloads: 144
Attached File  Quedate.mp3 ( 9.86MB ) Number of downloads: 158

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 9 2011, 05:26 AM
GMC:er
ewww love Quedate! i can feel a catchy jazzy mixing Satana beat in there xD

amazing work Ramiro ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 9 2011, 05:28 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 9 2011, 02:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Ramiro, nice songs by the way - enjoyed them a lot cool.gif smile.gif .

A couple of suggestions on the mixes.

In general the mixes are good. Mixes are pretty much in line with the genre so just a few things to possibly consider...

1/levels overall are fine though there is one drum hit on Quedate towards the end that pops out a bit so a little gentle compression just to keep it in line may help.

2/I like your vocals though to me I think a different mic might work better for you on Quedate. At the moment to me it makes you sound a little congested and I think over-emphases the vocal too much around 150-600Hz but without sufficient emphasis in the higher mid at 1-4kHz for your particular voice. To me this wasn´t an issue on Como Fue only on Quedate perhaps as you may have changed your singing position relative to the mic between the two? If you can´t experiment with different mics perhaps look at the mic position.

I´d also look at possibly clearing some space between the vocals and the instruments in this low-mid midband as it sounds a little busy to me.

3/Perhaps because of this there seems to be some low ´plosives on ´b´ and ´p´ type consonants on the vocals that could possibly be looked at by side chaining an EQ and compressor? Nothing major though.

4/On Quedate it sounds to me like there is a level change on the vocals when you move from the lyrics to scat. It may be that you want the scat vocals to sit back in the mix relative to the lyrics though if not you might want to just check the levels on the vocal bus.

5/Personally I´d like the vocals on both to stand out a little more. I´d look at bringing it up about 1dB in level relative to the mix.

6/The bass is nicely recorded though I think the level is a touch high compared for both mixes overall. I´d suggest taking it down a few dB and seeing if it sits ok in the mix. Also maybe look at how it works with the other instruments as the bass at times takes a little away from the kick drum and low end on the piano.

7/ Horns - particularly trumpet. A little like the vocal I´d up the level a little relative to the mix as to me they sound a little to recessed. If you do careful of how hey interact with the vocal particularly in the high mid.

8/The stereo image left-right and front to back depth is, to me, a little narrow/flat. L/R width might benefit a little from some more gentle room ambience, though be careful that it doesn´t make the mix sound muddy and ill defined. You could add front to back depth by stereo micing the vocal, guitar and the piano for close and distance. If you do watch phase and definition still though.

Sorry if this looks like quite a bit. The mixes are good smile.gif and these are only just meant to be some ideas on how to maybe take them on a little bit more.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Jan 9 2011, 04:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool Sounding Tunes Ramiro smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 9 2011, 05:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great tracks Ramiro! Also mix sounds very good here on my speakers. Very relaxing music smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 9 2011, 10:03 PM
Instructor
Thanx everybody for the nice comments biggrin.gif

And special thanx to Tony that took the time to give me the feedback I needed biggrin.gif

Thank you Tony!!

By the way, I'm not singing.

The singer is the same guy that plays the guitar/bass I just play the keyboards and program the brass (and record and mix the whole thing). Then we have a drummer and a special guest for additional real brass hehe.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:09 PM