> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 13: C Major Scale, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 4 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Phil66
Aug 31 2014, 07:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 13: C Major Scale by Bear Rose

I played it ten times before this take and they were all better, particularly the timing. The nerves were getting to me a bit for some reason because this is about the fifth take, I kept fluffing the first couple of notes. All part of the game I guess.
Anyway, I've put it up so rip me apart smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 31 2014, 07:52 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 1 2014, 06:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Don't worry about the REC button syndrome, it should disappear with practice. wink.gif

Your take is not bad, you are close, and considering the nervous factor, I can say that you are very close to master this one. However, there are 3 important things to have in mind for the next recording:

- Tuning: Again! Yes, your guitar is not perfectly tuned. I talked about this in the other REC take. We can't forgive tuning issues on REC. mad.gif

- Timing: Well, you've already said it, you have to work on timing. I shared an idea at the thread in which you asked about how to play tight over this backing used as a loop. It's not and easy groove to follow, but if you do the inner count, you will be able to play this one tighter.

- Vibrato: Your vibrato is weak on this one. Compare your take with Bear, check his way of playing vibrato and if it's possible start working on this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 1 2014, 12:11 PM
Instructor
Hey Phill!

I agree with Gabi and if you manage to internalize this piece a little better, I think you will be able to master it completely. Your playing is clean and judging by the fact that this was a take recorded when you were nervous, I must say you did a fairly good job!

Focus on the tuning issue, on which we have already suggested solutions, in the other REC take thread and in your personal thread, on the timing - check out my suggestions in the thread you started here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=695189 and if you practice Ben's lesson, suggested by Gabi, things will only get better and better.

Please let us know about the progress of this lesson and keep on rocking!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 12 2014, 12:09 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
One more grade please! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 13 2014, 11:01 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
First of all - you've got a very similar guitar tone to Bears in this one (especially considering instrument difference).
This is generally a pretty solid take. What are the issues I can hear are : sync between picking and fretting hand. Somehow it appears that you don't always hit the fret/pluck the string at the exact same time. There is also a bit of issue with dynamics (how hard you hit the strings). Try hitting (picking) the strings with more force which will results in also being more confident about the sync and timing. Bear hits notes pretty hard in the lesson with relatively flat dynamics (having all the notes sound pretty equal in volume). I think by intentionally plucking the strings harder that you'll get a stronger timing as well. Currently it feels that you are not always sure when to exactly pick the note in time. Trying to match the upstroke or downstroke patterns Bear uses in the lesson might also help with getting more confident expression.

Overall - this take is strong but I would really like to hear the take you feel very good about. I think that you can really rock this one easily. Try going for a stronger attitude and put on the "auto mode" when playing and try to intentionally "think less".
Recording can really hit our nerves and play tricks on us but I promise that you'll get more comfortable in front of the camera as you record more videos over time.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Sep 14 2014, 12:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil.

It's almost there! ;-)

But I'm missing a little bit more dynamic and FEELING!
It's a nice melody, so just add a bit more expression and emotion to it and it will get alive!!!

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Fran
Sep 14 2014, 01:01 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 7

This post has been edited by Fran: Sep 14 2014, 01:02 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:27 PM