Killer Bands I"ve Not Heard Til Now, Man there is some KILLER Music out there that's been hiding!
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2012, 06:04 AM
GMC:er
I had posted this in the WITHIN TEMPTATION thread, but the link to that thread goes to the first post? And this isn't a post about within temptation so NEW THREAD!@
--
I've recently started listening to a band called ELIS. They also have a great female vocalist or really a series of them. One of the best they had suddenly died ( very sad to find out as I was just getting in to them) here is one of my fav tunes of their's. Very cool voice and structure in the tune. This is featuring the vocalist that died suddenly during a rehearsal.

P.S. It's all in German but it still works even if you don't speak German.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 10 2012, 03:38 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
First thing I thought: "Oh, another metalband from Switzerland besides Eluveitie!" smile.gif
Just because of the first girl's dialect...haven't heard of them before, then again the whole symphonic/gothic genre is not my favourite.

Todd, you might enjoy Subway to Sally, even though they are more folk metal and don't have a female singer. Still a great band smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 10 2012, 04:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Some instrumental?

--------------------

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 10 2012, 06:02 PM
Tone Seeker
Check these fellows out !!

warning ! contains Finns hairy ass and blood tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 10 2012, 06:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I don't know if people have heard of this band, but this song is full of win:

One of the most powerful songs I've ever heard!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2012, 03:22 AM
No Female Singer! What? Just kidding smile.gif Thanks for the vids! I do like those guys. Great sense of rythm/power, in an odd way it almost reminds me of old ACCEPT, but not as metalish.

thanks!
Todd

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 10 2012, 09:38 AM) *
First thing I thought: "Oh, another metalband from Switzerland besides Eluveitie!" smile.gif
Just because of the first girl's dialect...haven't heard of them before, then again the whole symphonic/gothic genre is not my favourite.

Todd, you might enjoy Subway to Sally, even though they are more folk metal and don't have a female singer. Still a great band smile.gif

Nice! The band is crazy tight, almost a Meshuggah vibe. Cool!

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 10 2012, 12:05 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2012, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (WeePee @ Feb 10 2012, 12:02 PM) *
Check these fellows out !!

warning ! contains Finns hairy ass and blood tongue.gif

God Bless the Finns! smile.gif You can always count on them to be extreme.

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 10 2012, 12:05 PM) *

Nice! Sounds a bit like "Blackened Melodic Death Metal" which is just Melodic Death Metal using bits from Black Metal like blast beats and such. I love how heavy music is becoming more and more diverse and then borrowing bits from other sub genres. Some folks find it all a bit confusing, as it is after essentially all "Metal" but I really like to see variant forms of heavy music sprouting up. smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 16 2012, 01:38 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Todd,
just stumbled upon this thread again and a few other german bands (surprise surprise laugh.gif ) came to my mind...the styles are different, but I'm sure you'll like them.
Let's start with Haggard, a great symphonic metal bands, I'm pretty sure you're gonnna love them :

Another great symphonic metal band is Lunatica from Switzerland (actually, I'd call it Power Metal with a female singer...):

A band that (imo) is close to Subway to Sally is In Extremo. Never really got into their music, but they are very popular in Germany:

And of course Oomph! These guys have been around for more than 20 years now and were one of the first bands of the "Neue Deutsche Haerte". Some people claim they are copying Rammstein. Fun fact: Rammstein is influenced by Oomph!, not the other way around wink.gif
This song from 1999 marks their commercial breakthrough in Germany. You might wanna get records from that time or before wink.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Saddlefall
Feb 16 2012, 03:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Since the thread opened with some Gothic Metal I thought I'd continue with that. This is some old Tristania off their debut album from 1998, amazing stuff! The violin in this song gives me the chills!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Explorer
Jackson Warrior WRXT
Jackson RR24
Schecter Demon 7 string

Amp:
Marshall JMD:1

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 18 2012, 12:45 AM
A cool band from here, you probably know them tongue.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2012, 01:44 AM
Quick Question:

CHRISTIAN: What the heck is she saying in the start of that video? And you said it sounded Swedish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgirv6mO8sY...38AA0064F0E3413

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 10 2012, 09:38 AM) *

Thanks Christian! I must say I dig all of it and I"d never heard of any of these before so big props on finding stuff that has missed my music radar completely. You'd be shocked to know that when I mention a band as globally known as Knightwish to my music loving friends, I still get something like "Is that Pantera Bside or something?" Slowly but surely I"m making European music more a part of conversation among local pals here. I hadn't realized how isolated many of my countrymen had become and I'm thankful to GMC for opening up my eyes personally to music on a global scale.

I seem to like just about every German band you've mentioned in all these posts. They all seem staffed with high quality musicians (many sound like classically trained pros), and many of the songs have a complex melodic structure built in layers much like a symphony. Music education must be pretty different in Germany compared to here. As if they learned scales/composition at a very young age and have played ever since. For many folks in the states, learning music starts some time in their mid to late teens. Most rock musicians are largely self taught (as I was) very few go to Berklee college of music or what not. I can usually tell when a player has been playing since they learned to walk and many seem to have that quality in the vids you've shared. Also, the Dutch and the Swedes seem to incorporate this and to some degree the finns. I have not yet been exposed to music from large areas of the rest of the world but can't wait to hear it all smile.gif

Did you get any musical training/education in primary school BTW?

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 16 2012, 07:38 AM) *
Hey Todd,
just stumbled upon this thread again and a few other german bands (surprise surprise laugh.gif ) came to my mind...the styles are different, but I'm sure you'll like them.
Let's start with Haggard, a great symphonic metal bands, I'm pretty sure you're gonnna love them :

Another great symphonic metal band is Lunatica from Switzerland (actually, I'd call it Power Metal with a female singer...):

A band that (imo) is close to Subway to Sally is In Extremo. Never really got into their music, but they are very popular in Germany:

And of course Oomph! These guys have been around for more than 20 years now and were one of the first bands of the "Neue Deutsche Haerte". Some people claim they are copying Rammstein. Fun fact: Rammstein is influenced by Oomph!, not the other way around wink.gif
This song from 1999 marks their commercial breakthrough in Germany. You might wanna get records from that time or before wink.gif

Tristania! Now them I've heard smile.gif And I dig em! This vid won't play in my country but I've seen others. Great band. The guitar player then went on to form Sirenia. Another spiff band smile.gif They also share that same layered structure/complex tonal underpinnings that I mentioned about the German bands Christian shared. I mentioned these same qualities in some of the Dutch and Swedish music and Finnish as well, but I forgot Norway! Something cultural must be tying all of these bands/countries together I have no idea what it is but the thread runs through much of the symphonic type metal that I"ve heard. And I like it lot smile.gif I really wish there was more of that in the states. Our popular music tends to be sadly quite simple and uninteresting. Our underground music has tinges of these qualities but is largely fueled by big wads of aggression which makes up for lot smile.gif

QUOTE (Saddlefall @ Feb 16 2012, 09:58 AM) *
Since the thread opened with some Gothic Metal I thought I'd continue with that. This is some old Tristania off their debut album from 1998, amazing stuff! The violin in this song gives me the chills!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 18 2012, 08:18 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 18 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Quick Question:

CHRISTIAN: What the heck is she saying in the start of that video? And you said it sounded Swedish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgirv6mO8sY...38AA0064F0E3413

Haha, no no, she speaks german but with a swiss dialect, not swedish wink.gif

Here's what she says:

"It happened at a time, when the sun made the earth smolder, and the people longed for the night. For the shadows, and the relief of their agony."

Oh man, I just googled a bit and found out the singer died in 2006 from a cerebral hemorrhage, aged 29...that is really sad. The band has a new singer now.
Looks like her musical talent was discovered at an early age, she learned flute and piano in her pre-teens...I'd say it all depends on the parents, but usually german kids will learn an instrument pretty early (in their pre-teens). Most likely flute, that's why so many people here hate flute laugh.gif
Musical lessons at primary school or school anyways are not that great, I mean you learn to read certain music but it is very theory based and without playing an instrument, many students won't benefit from that.
But looking at the bios of some german musicians it clearly shows that they've learned an instrument at a very young age.

Just found the ELis song with translation:

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 18 2012, 08:27 AM
Tone Seeker
This has played lot in our local Radio Rock. So I wanted to find these guys in youtube. Lots of good songs in their latest album.

Not bad cover cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:42 PM