> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Bleez’s Building Speed Workshop, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2014, 07:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 27 2014, 07:00 PM) *
I think I understand what you are saying dude. I do like your way of thinking about analysing a song I dont fully understand ( yet ).

Honestly.... No ph34r.gif I know zero about chord construction!

hehehe ok! So here we go, please read this thread about intervals and let me know when you finished it and if you understand everything explained there.

Link HERE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 15 2015, 07:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey gab smile.gif I was hoping to get your opinion on speed picking practice. Basically, Im doing 2 x 45 minute sessions per day where I just run through patterns with a metronome, gradually increasing the BPM.
for example, one of my sessions mainly uses vinnie moore's 1-2-3-4 and the 4-3-2-1 patterns from this vid,

if I begin at 150 bpm and gradually build up to my current top speed of 220 bpm, that will roughly take 30 mins so I have about 15 mins at my 'top' speed.
So my question is - do I need to be playing longer at my top speed per session?
Maybe I should not count the first 30 minutes of the session and aim to play at my top speed for longer.

* I hope that makes sense cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2015, 08:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez, yes, this makes sense for me!

Your routine sounds really effective and it will have an important impact in your guitar playing. If I understand well, I think that it takes 30 minutes to be able to play at top speed. I don't think that this is a problem since I'm sure that this 30 minutes will become less time with more days of practice. At the same time, I consider very important to practice picking at different tempos to have a good control of your technique. I know guitarists who can play extremely fast but can keep timing and picking consistent at intermediate tempos.

So that's my opinion. It's not a waste of time, and at the same time this will be shorter soon with more practice.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 15 2015, 09:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Totally Understand. Thanks for that Gab smile.gif
Ive been doing these picking routines for a few months now, 45 mins in the morning and then 45 minutes in the evening with different patterns ( then I work on various lessons and stuff) ....... One day Im gonna be ready to nail your Sabbath lesson! ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2015, 03:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 15 2015, 05:32 PM) *
Totally Understand. Thanks for that Gab smile.gif
Ive been doing these picking routines for a few months now, 45 mins in the morning and then 45 minutes in the evening with different patterns ( then I work on various lessons and stuff) ....... One day Im gonna be ready to nail your Sabbath lesson! ph34r.gif

That's awesome mate!! These are exactly the exercises that I've worked when I wanted to master my alternate picking technique, and now I think that it's one of my strong parts of my technique. Keep going!!

Feel free to share a video playing the exercises here to let me check hand's movement and the sound you get.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 16 2015, 07:49 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 16 2015, 02:08 PM) *
That's awesome mate!! These are exactly the exercises that I've worked when I wanted to master my alternate picking technique, and now I think that it's one of my strong parts of my technique. Keep going!!

Feel free to share a video playing the exercises here to let me check hand's movement and the sound you get.

Thanks dude, I'll definatley get a video done with examples of how Im playing these patterns, Ive always been big fan of your style and technique so if I can get on a similar path with my practising as you were 'back in the day' I'll know Im going in the right direction cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2015, 01:57 PM
Instructor
You are on the right track mate! This thread shows most of the exercises that I used to practice when I was a teenager: LINK. And you'll see that most of the AP picking exercises are similar to what Vinnie Moore shares on that clinic.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 19 2015, 12:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
you have a ton of patterns in that intensive course! I'll be going through them for sure, thanks smile.gif

here is that video of my current picking routine. I do one session in the morning then the other one at night.
the first session has 3 patterns in it. the 3 note per string patterns are played on all the strings.
the third pattern is some type of scale, Im not 100% sure tbh! I saw it youtube and thought it looked useful smile.gif

dont worry, Ive only posted a clip of the routine, I didnt record the whole 45 minutes cool.gif

This is a clip of the vinnie moore patterns, I spend 45 minutes to an hour on this as well.

If there is anything you think I should change or add, I'd be interested in your opinion of the routine.

thanks for your time, mate. its much appreciated. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 19 2015, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez! The routine looks great! I remember that I used to practice this routine standing up to then be trained for playing live and with my band. This depends on what you want, but take the suggestion if you are thinking on playing with a band soon.

I cannot see your right hands fingers clearly because of the angle, but please be sure that you are not starting the movement from your fingers. It should start from your wrist and a bit from your elbow.

Other than that, you are on the right track, keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 29 2015, 01:08 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 19 2015, 02:33 PM) *
Other than that, you are on the right track, keep going!

thats good to hear smile.gif thanks dude

hey Gab, can you have a quick listen to this lesson. Do you think it might be okay for a REC take?
I didnt quite get the tone as clean as the lesson, however I have been playing it for a long time and I think my tone got a little dirtier over the many many months playing it!

Here is the original lesson

thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2015, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez. This is a very good take and I'm sure that it will pass on REC. I like that fact that you gave it your personal touch regarding interpretation and sound. I think that the tone is ok as well the ambience given by reverb (or delay). I personally like a bit more the original tone which is more old school blues (SRV, Eric Clapton), but it's just a matter of taste.

Your playing is really good, and I only think that your vibrato and bending could be even more consistent in some sections. Both are ok most of the times, but comparing with the original lesson I enjoy a bit more Ivan's wider vibrato so maybe you could give it a try and see how you feel with it.

I strongly recommend you to share this one at REC to receive more feedback. It's an 8/9 for me. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 29 2015, 07:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks Gab, I think I''l play it some more over the next week and try to improve on the bends and vibrato. I know that both of these techniques are still weak areas for me.
I'll try to tweak my tone as well, Id like it to be a bit closer to Ivans, I may try my other Les Paul it has seymour '59's.
I'll keep this recording as a backup incase I dont get it sounding better smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 30 2015, 01:30 PM
Instructor
Good idea mate. As I usually suggest, practicing a bit over the original lesson can be a good idea. If you feel that vibrato and bending are two same old issues, it won't be a bar idea to also include some little practice every day based on this exercises:

Some minutes every day can have an important impact in the future. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 30 2015, 06:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
that guy seems like he knows what he's talking about smile.gif
I'll set some time aside to work on those, thanks gab.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 31 2015, 06:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 30 2015, 02:46 PM) *
that guy seems like he knows what he's talking about smile.gif
I'll set some time aside to work on those, thanks gab.

yeah, I think that he must be a killer player. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
May 1 2015, 01:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gab, I was wondering what your opinion is on the line6 pod hd500?
Did you use your one at live rehearsals? and also, how do you think they compare to real stomp boxes?

Im considering getting the pod hd500X cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2015, 09:09 PM
Instructor
Hi Bleez, well, it's a very good device with great amp emulations for recording demos and nice effects for playing live. It's great to have everything on the same device so that's the main advantage of using pod. You have reasonable good effects on the same processor, and you can program the sets to get the combination that you pushing a single pedal.

The reason why I decided to go for real stomps is that I feel more comfortable to set the pedals than setting the pedalboard. I felt that the pedalboard had a lot of effects and possibility while I needed just a few. I preferred to have less but with more quality and personality. The quality of the effect is good but they don't have the personality that you get when you get real stomp boxes.

For example, my pod had wah wah, but when I god Morley Bad Horsie 2, it blown away what I could get with my pod. Pod includes overdrive but nothing beats my Visual Sound Jekyll and hyde. So I decided to have less elements but with more quality.

My next step is to get a controller that let's me program different combinations of the analog pedals.

In other words, I cannot say what's better for you since it's a killer device, but I've just shared my experience with both possibilities. wink.gif

Let me know if you have more questions.

PS: I've never used Pod amp simulators on a live situation. I've always used real amps.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
May 3 2015, 09:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks mate, Its very helpful to hear your thoughts on it.
I'd really prefer to be an 'analogue guy' cool.gif and have a few really solid pedals but due to being a bedroom guitarist I cant really mic up an amp unfortunately, although that would be my first choice if I could.
Im currently using the old ux1 with pod farm so I would guess that the hd500x would be a big improvement over that. smile.gif

BTW - excellent red fang lesson! It sounds 100% pure fang smile.gif
Ive already began learning it. There are a couple of quite fast hammer ons towards the end which I'll need to focus on but I think I should be able to get it up to speed soon smile.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: May 3 2015, 09:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 4 2015, 04:12 PM
Instructor
In that case, it will be a great upgrade! Go for it. smile.gif

I'd like to see you playing RED FANG lesson at REC!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
May 4 2015, 09:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 4 2015, 04:12 PM) *
In that case, it will be a great upgrade! Go for it. smile.gif

I'd like to see you playing RED FANG lesson at REC!

Yeah, I totally want to get rec take of the red fang lesson for sure smile.gif I worked on it a lot tonight and have it basically playable at a slow tempo. It will take a bit of work to get it up to speed but I'll get there smile.gif
Ive got about 4 lessons at the moment which are frustratingly close to being REC ready, they are just a little sloppy and it seems to be taking forever for me to get them polished. I might need to focus my practice time a bit more efficiently, Im playing for around 2 hours per day now so I think I should be making a bit faster progress............ although probably everyone thinks that rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:27 AM