Image And Music, is important?
Osedmen
Sep 7 2014, 04:46 PM
GMC:er

Hi everyone.

I want to ask if in your process to make music or play in shows you think about your image.

For instance, in my case i have an acoustic solo project and sometime think about that.

i think if my image change i could be receive a good reception to my project.

Anyone can give some tips to make a integral perform?

thanks.

this is a live performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Mnacv5Ybo...rZhJEFEYVIoCwsw

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 7 2014, 05:04 PM
People care about how you look as much as they care about how you sound. We're visual - it's how we're wired. Some people are more affected by your presentation than your sound. That's just the way it is.

Pay attention to how people react to how you dress and present yourself at gigs. Pay attention to exactly what they comment on in both your playing and your image. If you want to be more popular - adjust accordingly.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2014, 07:32 AM
Instructor
Hey Oscar smile.gif

Image is VERY important smile.gif You are an entity which is perceived with all the senses by the ones listening to you.

I think your logo and album cover looks perfect for what you play and so, think about artists which perform similar music as you do - they are mainly acoustic artists whose music is deep and full of meaning, transposing the listener into other worlds.

I'd see you wearing something elegant and classy but not uptight - I think that in this case, Al Di Meola is a good example:

I for one embrace a casual/elegant look in autumn and winter and in the summer I usually dress up very streetwise, because it's hot like hell in here, but nonetheless, my image fits with the music I perform.

It's a long discussion, but have in mind that you must offer a complete package - image and music smile.gif

QUOTE (Osedmen @ Sep 7 2014, 03:46 PM) *
Hi everyone.

I want to ask if in your process to make music or play in shows you think about your image.

For instance, in my case i have an acoustic solo project and sometime think about that.

thanks.

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 8 2014, 07:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think it helps people feel the music is authentic. Like having a bunch of guys in business suits playing metal wouldn't work

.............. or will it?

Ponders

CORPORATE SABOTAGE
the blackest of corporate metal
They will turn you blackest of black tie events RED

hahahaha

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Spock
Sep 8 2014, 10:23 AM
QUOTE (Mith @ Sep 8 2014, 02:59 AM) *
I think it helps people feel the music is authentic. Like having a bunch of guys in business suits playing metal wouldn't work

.............. or will it?

It could be pulled off, and look cool...

Virgos Merlot all wore suits and the look was cool, they also all wore solid white contact lenses with tiny black dot pupils, they had a vampire thing going.

And of course...

I should say though for the Osedmen - for your style any image would work. I love your style of music.

But if you wanted to be commercial looking, you could adopt a SRV sort of look

Think it would tie n nicely to the style...

This post has been edited by Spock: Sep 8 2014, 10:25 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 8 2014, 02:40 PM
Instructor
The answer is YES! Image is very important nowadays. People has too many offers, there are lots of musicians, bands, youtube videos, so the first filter is visual. Image is important at any level and in every aspect:

- Album: The art cover is very important if you want people feel curiosity to know how it sounds.
- Videos: Why wouldn't you add video to your music if the video isn't good looking, it must be high quality.
- You: The musician's image is very important. Fans exist because they see their heroes and they want to be, play and look like them. Your image must be a reflection of your music, and so of your personality but if you enhance it, the impact will be stronger.

Here you can check a cool article about this topi that summarizes the different elements of artist's image: LINK

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2014, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Gabi's suggestions and the article provide very interesting aspects, so start exploring, mate wink.gif There's something more tho:

- how do you perceive yourself and what makes you feel comfortable when performing - live and on recordings?
- how would you like to be perceived by the public? This is very important as well, as you will transmit it even if you aren't conscious of it smile.gif

Let us know what your thoughts are after pondering all these aspects wink.gif

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
Sep 9 2014, 02:01 PM
I remember a post about this a few months back. I was just joining a band and we were playing a gig (we're a hard rock band). I played that gig in a pink floral shirt and business trousers and shoes and the crowd still went mental.

I guess if you're appealing more to that genre of music, then perhaps, but for ME personally, I honestly couldn't care less what someone's wearing on stage!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 9 2014, 02:59 PM
If you look completely contrary to what is the 'expected' look then that's also ... a look i.e., Graham Bonnet.

If you're really beautiful or unique or freaky looking naturally ... then you can get away with wearing almost anything i.e., Jennifer Lopez, David Byrne (Talking Heads) or Die Antwoord.

It's all predicated on 'perceived' honesty. Do they believe you? Or at least, do they want to believe you at that moment?

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 9 2014, 03:53 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 10 2014, 08:04 AM
Instructor
I think people love circus smile.gif I was watching the Rammstein concerts live two times - 2010 and 2013. Man, what A SHOW! People love it! They are there for the show and as the guitarist once said: 'People love us for who we are onstage, not for who we really are. Back home, I dress normally, I take care of groceries and have fun with my family like everyone else does, but onstage - that's a different thing. I am someone else there.'

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 10 2014, 08:23 PM
Great replies! smile.gif Hopefully your on stage image will reflect your musical expression to some degree. Some folks try to go go the other way for style points and dress against the style they are playing. This usually works to get attention for a new band or reboot an old band.

But generally, folks will expect you to sound how you look. As was mentioned, it's just how we are wired smile.gif

QUOTE (Osedmen @ Sep 7 2014, 11:46 AM) *
Hi everyone.

thanks.

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Sep 25 2014, 06:09 AM
Learning Rock Star
People buy CDs to listen to a good mix. People go to live performances to be entertained. Entertainment relies on 3 things - all of which you should work on perfecting as a solo artist.

1. Visual - people want to look at something greater than ordinary. That means don't wear casual, ordinary clothes. Aim higher. Wear something that would make people look twice at you while walking down a grocery aisle, but not think twice about if you wore it on stage. Genre plays a role in what you wear. Based on your video, I would aim for sharp dress - think while collar shirt, dark denim jeans, tip boots, and a sports jacket. don't do sunglasses. a little bling never hurts.

2. Interaction - people want you to interact with them. they aren't going to a movie - they want to hear who you are - who you are as an entertainer is your image. Learn to talk to the audience as if they were family - complete with grins and smiles as if what you say is every bit as entertaining to you as it should be to them. Eye contact - don't ask the audience questions though - like "how are you"... it's a stupid question and everyone who's nervous on stage, asks that question by default. They want smiles, laughs, and to hear you talk about yourself and your experiences, and of course hear you play (and make mistakes! grin and wink when you do).

3. Presence
You need to own the stage, and look comfortable. Don't get lost in your playing and expect others to follow you. Videotape yourself playing (like this video) and pick it apart - what are some habits you should think about getting rid of?

I would work on more eye contact, and looking up and smiling when you can. Lose the head bob - did you notice you do that? I find it distracting. I would also consider a bar stool for this type of music, because it's not rock and its not pop. Moving around adds uneccessary tension, visually. let your character entertain, not your physical motion for this particular video.

Notice the end of the video when you said "gracias" before people started clapping? Instead, look up at the adience, and grin with a big smile, wait for the applause, and talk to them! perfect opportunity to interact. By saying 'gracias' before they even start clapping makes an abrupt informal ending like you don't care whether they liked it or not! Accept their feedback with a smile after they've given it! use that opportunity to bond and introduce the next song.

Those are what I see and think. Hope that helps in some way.

p.s. wonderful playing smile.gif

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Sep 25 2014, 06:19 AM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Sep 26 2014, 03:00 PM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Sep 25 2014, 05:09 AM) *
People buy CDs to listen to a good mix. People go to live performances to be entertained. Entertainment relies on 3 things - all of which you should work on perfecting as a solo artist.

1. Visual - people want to look at something greater than ordinary. That means don't wear casual, ordinary clothes. Aim higher. Wear something that would make people look twice at you while walking down a grocery aisle, but not think twice about if you wore it on stage. Genre plays a role in what you wear. Based on your video, I would aim for sharp dress - think while collar shirt, dark denim jeans, tip boots, and a sports jacket. don't do sunglasses. a little bling never hurts.

2. Interaction - people want you to interact with them. they aren't going to a movie - they want to hear who you are - who you are as an entertainer is your image. Learn to talk to the audience as if they were family - complete with grins and smiles as if what you say is every bit as entertaining to you as it should be to them. Eye contact - don't ask the audience questions though - like "how are you"... it's a stupid question and everyone who's nervous on stage, asks that question by default. They want smiles, laughs, and to hear you talk about yourself and your experiences, and of course hear you play (and make mistakes! grin and wink when you do).

3. Presence
You need to own the stage, and look comfortable. Don't get lost in your playing and expect others to follow you. Videotape yourself playing (like this video) and pick it apart - what are some habits you should think about getting rid of?

I would work on more eye contact, and looking up and smiling when you can. Lose the head bob - did you notice you do that? I find it distracting. I would also consider a bar stool for this type of music, because it's not rock and its not pop. Moving around adds uneccessary tension, visually. let your character entertain, not your physical motion for this particular video.

Notice the end of the video when you said "gracias" before people started clapping? Instead, look up at the adience, and grin with a big smile, wait for the applause, and talk to them! perfect opportunity to interact. By saying 'gracias' before they even start clapping makes an abrupt informal ending like you don't care whether they liked it or not! Accept their feedback with a smile after they've given it! use that opportunity to bond and introduce the next song.

Those are what I see and think. Hope that helps in some way.

p.s. wonderful playing smile.gif

Hi SirJamsalot , thanks so much for your point of view. Is important for me because i starting to play along in front of many people.
i´m going to follow these steps. Thanks !

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 26 2014, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Jams has pointed out a lot of important things, Oscar. As I said many times, you have the product, but you need to slowly learn how to sell it - hopefully, this thread will help out as I think that pretty much every important aspect here was covered.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 AM