DeGroot
Aug 15 2012, 07:35 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 14 2012, 06:06 PM) *
Perfect!
You made a typo on F# it is E not F#

So now the names:
Emi/maj7 - F#mi7b5 - Gmaj7#5 - Ami7 - B7 - Cmaj7 - D#dim7

So that means every time you will see any of those chords you can play E melodic minor!

You mean I can play E harmonic minor? I assume it was a typo but I want to make sure!

Now I would like you to figure out what melodic minor you can play over II - V - I chord progression I gave you
Emi7 - A7 - Dmaj7
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!
Hint: There is more than one! smile.gif

My answer is:
D Melodic minor
E Melodic minor

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 16 2012, 06:15 PM
Instructor
You are absolutely correct! So for a new assignment I would like you to use this chord progression
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/ii-v-i-jam
And try to combine E and D harmonic minors together I would like you to pay closer attention to VII and try to use it the most!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 16 2012, 06:45 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 16 2012, 05:15 PM) *
You are absolutely correct! So for a new assignment I would like you to use this chord progression
And try to combine E and D harmonic minors together I would like you to pay closer attention to VII and try to use it the most!

Great! smile.gif

I will be out of town for about a week. I will make the assignment a priority when I get back!

P.S. You mean for me to use E and D Melodic minor or Harmonic minor?

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 16 2012, 05:43 PM) *
Great! smile.gif

I will be out of town for about a week. I will make the assignment a priority when I get back!

Also, do you have another theory assignment that I can work on since I won't be able to play guitar? Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 17 2012, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 16 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Great! smile.gif

Also, do you have another theory assignment that I can work on since I won't be able to play guitar? Thanks!

Have fun on your vacation! smile.gif I will prepare a new assignment in a couple of days! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 28 2012, 08:46 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Hi Alex! Just giving a little update since I haven't posted here in a while.

I was just back home for a couple days and am leaving town...again. smile.gif

So, when I get back I will post a take of my assignment!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 31 2012, 03:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 28 2012, 07:46 PM) *
Hi Alex! Just giving a little update since I haven't posted here in a while.

I was just back home for a couple days and am leaving town...again. smile.gif

So, when I get back I will post a take of my assignment!

Sounds great!!! I am looking forward to continue our mentoring! smile.gif
BTW thank you so much for recording Rolling Keith! I am honored! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 7 2012, 06:35 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 31 2012, 02:11 AM) *
Sounds great!!! I am looking forward to continue our mentoring! smile.gif
BTW thank you so much for recording Rolling Keith! I am honored! smile.gif

It was my pleasure to record Rolling Keith! I had been looking for more beginner stuff that includes slide, so that was a perfect lesson. I have practiced it some more and got it more in the pocket with the drums now. I am also working on another of your lessons and hope to be able to submit it soon.

So, I've been trying the Melodic minor scales with the backing but haven't really recorded something that sounds good to me. I'll just keep at it and hopefully something will click with it soon.

P.S. Thank you for your comments on my lead over your Fusion collab. smile.gif I think all the practice with the mentoring is helping me get better with improvising.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 7 2012, 11:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 7 2012, 05:35 PM) *
It was my pleasure to record Rolling Keith! I had been looking for more beginner stuff that includes slide, so that was a perfect lesson. I have practiced it some more and got it more in the pocket with the drums now. I am also working on another of your lessons and hope to be able to submit it soon.

So, I've been trying the Melodic minor scales with the backing but haven't really recorded something that sounds good to me. I'll just keep at it and hopefully something will click with it soon.

P.S. Thank you for your comments on my lead over your Fusion collab. smile.gif I think all the practice with the mentoring is helping me get better with improvising.

Awesome! I am glad it is working out for you and you are learning new stuff from me! smile.gif
You did a great job on Rolling Keith and I can hear how much you have improved! Good job!
About melodic minor I would like you to record a solo it doesn't have to be perfect! Just do as best as you can this way we can continue working on melodic minor and you will get results faster

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 11 2012, 08:40 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Aug 16 2012, 05:15 PM) *

This is more or less me just practicing with Melodic Minor scales. I'm trying to get a feel for it but its just not clicking at all. rolleyes.gif Sorry to make you listen to this but I figure I'm stuck and just may be going about it all wrong.

Should I use the melodic minor scale more sparingly? Sometimes it seems like notes in the scale clash with the backing.
I have watched videos of people improvising with melodic minor and I hear great things. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/ii-v-i-jam-melodic-minor

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 12 2012, 06:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 11 2012, 07:40 PM) *
This is more or less me just practicing with Melodic Minor scales. I'm trying to get a feel for it but its just not clicking at all. rolleyes.gif Sorry to make you listen to this but I figure I'm stuck and just may be going about it all wrong.

Should I use the melodic minor scale more sparingly? Sometimes it seems like notes in the scale clash with the backing.
I have watched videos of people improvising with melodic minor and I hear great things. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/ii-v-i-jam-melodic-minor

You did very good! I like your jam! Nice! smile.gif
In order to get interesting phrases you have to start combining diatonic scale and melodic minor this is how you can get really creative!
Would you like me to do a take for you so you can get more ideas? Let me know!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 13 2012, 02:03 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 12 2012, 05:36 PM) *
You did very good! I like your jam! Nice! smile.gif
In order to get interesting phrases you have to start combining diatonic scale and melodic minor this is how you can get really creative!
Would you like me to do a take for you so you can get more ideas? Let me know!

Ok, I will try your advice first! Then maybe after I can hear how you would combine melodic minor with diatonic. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 13 2012, 06:19 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
[quote name='DeGroot' date='Sep 13 2012, 01:03 AM' post='606958']

Ok, I will try your advice first! Then maybe after I can hear how you would combine melodic minor with diatonic. smile.gif

I have a question that may help clear things up for me about melodic minor scale.

Should I be playing it different when I'm descending and ascending? I didn't know this and have been playing it the same way descending and ascending.

I will paste what I read:

The melodic minor scale is the same as the natural minor with the exception that the sixth and seventh tones are raised by a semitone (half step) when the scale is ascending. When the scale is descending, the melodic minor is the same as the natural minor, e.g.:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 13 2012, 04:43 PM
Instructor

I have a question that may help clear things up for me about melodic minor scale.

Should I be playing it different when I'm descending and ascending? I didn't know this and have been playing it the same way descending and ascending.

I will paste what I read:

The melodic minor scale is the same as the natural minor with the exception that the sixth and seventh tones are raised by a semitone (half step) when the scale is ascending. When the scale is descending, the melodic minor is the same as the natural minor, e.g.:

It is only applies for classical music and only for harmonic minor!
The reason is #VII is a very intimidating tone that needs to be resolved! and going going down using a natural scale solved it!
I will prepare a track for you in a few hours to give you ideas! smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 14 2012, 12:48 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 13 2012, 03:43 PM) *
It is only applies for classical music and only for harmonic minor!
The reason is #VII is a very intimidating tone that needs to be resolved! and going going down using a natural scale solved it!
I will prepare a track for you in a few hours to give you ideas! smile.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

Ah, that clears things up. That is very interesting to know. I had read that Mozart used Melodic Minor a lot. I will have to listen for that sometime.

Ok great, I'll wait for your take and I'm sure that will help out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 15 2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 13 2012, 11:48 PM) *
Ah, that clears things up. That is very interesting to know. I had read that Mozart used Melodic Minor a lot. I will have to listen for that sometime.

Sounds good! Give me a few hours and I will post something! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 17 2012, 05:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 13 2012, 11:48 PM) *

So I have prepared a track for you! I left it unfinished on purpose so it is easier for you to take over and continue!
Attached File  Melodic_minor_.mp3 ( 2.54MB ) Number of downloads: 82

As you can hear I am leaving a lot of space in between the phrases and using kind of Q&A technique!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 18 2012, 02:47 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 17 2012, 04:23 PM) *
So I have prepared a track for you! I left it unfinished on purpose so it is easier for you to take over and continue!
Attached File  Melodic_minor_.mp3 ( 2.54MB ) Number of downloads: 82

As you can hear I am leaving a lot of space in between the phrases and using kind of Q&A technique!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

Thanks for the ideas! Here is what I recorded after I heard your take. Still not there yet but its getting better. This is more jamming in the moment... next take will have better Q&A or at least more fluid phrasing. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/melodic-minor

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 19 2012, 08:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 18 2012, 01:47 AM) *
Thanks for the ideas! Here is what I recorded after I heard your take. Still not there yet but its getting better. This is more jamming in the moment... next take will have better Q&A or at least more fluid phrasing. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/melodic-minor

You did great!!! I think if you will add more Q&A it will be perfect! Try to think about the melody not about the notes! And you will be fine! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 8 2012, 08:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 19 2012, 07:59 PM) *
You did great!!! I think if you will add more Q&A it will be perfect! Try to think about the melody not about the notes! And you will be fine! smile.gif

I have another version here that I came up with today. Hopefully its an improvement! I tried to leave it a little less busy with pauses and maybe it sa little more melodic.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/melodic-minor-2

If you think I'm ready to move on to new things, I'd like to try out more fusion style backings and playing while working on different scales. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 10 2012, 08:00 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 8 2012, 07:18 PM) *
I have another version here that I came up with today. Hopefully its an improvement! I tried to leave it a little less busy with pauses and maybe it sa little more melodic.

http://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/melodic-minor-2

If you think I'm ready to move on to new things, I'd like to try out more fusion style backings and playing while working on different scales. smile.gif

You did a great job! I think you are ready too smile.gif
I will post a new assignment in a few hours! We will be playing over the changes and I will explain what scales you can use !

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:57 AM