Fender Stratocaster Usa Vs Mexico
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 08:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
Been thinking about spoiling myself with a white Stratocaster (as well as a midi keyboard and some other stuff) in a few months when I get some money on my hands that has been on a high interest account for two years (got them locked in there for 2 years from just before the crunch! laugh.gif). I'd like to hear the wise GMC'ers have their say on how huge a difference there is between a USA model and a Mexico model?

I'm gonna be buying used, and money isn't that much of a problem, and I'm obviously thinking USA model, but how much "better" is the USA model compared to the Mexico models?

Also, is there anything specific to look for to see if it's an American or Mexican besides the "Made in Mexico" writing on the headstock, which I can't seem to see on American models.

Been thinking about just a plain regular off white or olympic white ala:

Om nom nom nom nom! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 21 2010, 09:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
You can use the serial number to see if it is a Mexico or US... I don't remeber exactly but I think all the Mexican model start with the M....

The old debate between Mexican and American Strat.... I have been saying this a lot of time but IMO all guitar are unique. I know when I bought my American Strat I went to the local guitar shope and I ahve tried around 30 strats.... I felt in love with only one wich is the one I bought. I have been playing on a lot of them and even some cheap pink mexican with a Hello Kitty Kat on them sounded better then some American Deluxe.

Even tho they are Fender guitar each guitar is unique and he best way to find your own is to try the most you can... For me buying a guitar is all about the feeling and when you play on the one you like you know that the feeling is good....

Godd luck in your quest of buying a Strat man they are awesome guitar...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 09:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Oh, yeah, completely forgot about Korean, but it doesn't make me tilt less towards an American laugh.gif

QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 21 2010, 08:58 PM) *
I would also conscider korean strats which are usually better quality than mexicans. i had a korean made one and i did buy it for full retail price (cause i wasnt as educated at the time) but you can get them for like half the price now. Just search "fender lite ash strat" (which is the one i had) but im sure there are more korean ones...

ATM i have a custom made one made in germany, but nobody knows who its made by (not even the guy who sold it me) but since i upgraded it. its the best sounding strat i have ever played.

Just to clarify... there wont be a mexican strat that is better than a usa one but you could look at some squires that where made in the usa and compare them with usa fenders.

Well, as money really isn't that big a deal, if USA is the better choice, I'll be going for that smile.gif I just needed to hear what exactly the difference is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 21 2010, 09:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
I have a mexican one that is fairly OK, what I have read there was some critics before that the mexican was actually exactly the same, but assembled in Mexico. If the rumour is true, I dont really know, but nowadays the wood shall be better in US-made ones, although on the classic Mexican-serie there is some awesome hardware. The same story was about the Squir's in the eighties - which I believe was true, since the early 80's Squirs are very good guitars. But as I use to say - try them, there is a huge difference in everyone of them, and I dont trust Fender's craftmanship on the "cheaper" models at all, eg. it seems that they just put together whats available atm. On the other hand, they always did, even with the vintage ones..... tongue.gif

//Staffay

EDIT: The rumour also said that they shipped the wood from the factory in California to Mexico, and then have them delivered back....

This post has been edited by Staffy: Feb 21 2010, 09:04 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 09:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Feb 21 2010, 09:00 PM) *
You can use the serial number to see if it is a Mexico or US... I don't remeber exactly but I think all the Mexican model start with the M....

The old debate between Mexican and American Strat.... I have been saying this a lot of time but IMO all guitar are unique. I know when I bought my American Strat I went to the local guitar shope and I ahve tried around 30 strats.... I felt in love with only one wich is the one I bought. I have been playing on a lot of them and even some cheap pink mexican with a Hello Kitty Kat on them sounded better then some American Deluxe.

Even tho they are Fender guitar each guitar is unique and he best way to find your own is to try the most you can... For me buying a guitar is all about the feeling and when you play on the one you like you know that the feeling is good....

Godd luck in your quest of buying a Strat man they are awesome guitar...

Yeah, I'm playing my 200 euro guitar more than any other and it sounds much better than any of them, to be honest.

I'll be testing some guitars out, but I'll most likely be buying used (so depending on where) I may or may not be able to try out that specific guitar. I won't do it untill we reach April though, I think, as I'd get all worked up about it and would want to buy it straight away laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I was hoping someone had a direct comparison between a mexican and an American smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 21 2010, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2010, 03:05 PM) *
I was hoping someone had a direct comparison between a mexican and an American smile.gif

Good luck with that as I am not sure you can find a static comparison that your are going to be able to apply everywhere...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 09:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Crazy_Diamond @ Feb 21 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Good luck with that as I am not sure you can find a static comparison that your are going to be able to apply everywhere...

You guys are cruel tonight. laugh.gif Guitar shops are closed, guuuys. I just want to hear your opinions about whether to get an American or a Mexican (or any other kind for that matter), as money really isn't an issue.

As said, I will be testing as many as I can, but I'm sure there is something to say in the American vs. Mexican debate. smile.gif

Oh, and also...to add to this... I've never really played a Fender Stratocaster before, but I've decided I rather want one... so I'm a Fender virgin. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gus
Feb 21 2010, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
I had a mexican fender and I really liked it until...

Well, until I played an american Fender tongue.gif

To be honest. Mexican is pretty good guitar for the money you pay. But well, if money ain't an issue right now I'd definitely would go for american one. It will play better, sound better. I can't say it looks better because it looks exactly the same laugh.gif
I specially felt a huge leap between the pickups of the mexican and american. If you plan to change the pickups anyway, that would not be a decision factor, but if you are happy with the american fender ones, it surely would.

It does cost much more money, but if you have the budget I would not think twice of getting an american one.

By the way, my mexican fender was exactly the color you posted wub.gif . Nice choice cool.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Feb 21 2010, 09:49 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 09:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gus @ Feb 21 2010, 09:46 PM) *
I had a mexican fender and I really liked it until...

Well, until I played an american Fender tongue.gif

To be honest. Mexican is pretty good guitar for the money you pay. But well, if money ain't an issue right now I'd definitely would go for american one. It will play better, sound better. I can't say it looks better because it looks exactly the same laugh.gif
I specially felt a huge leap between the pickups of the mexican and american. If you plan to change the pickups anyway, that would not be a decision factor, but if you are happy with the american fender ones, it surely would.

It does cost much more money, but if you have the budget I would not think twice of getting an american one.

By the way, my mexican fender was exactly the color you posted wub.gif . Nice choice cool.gif

Of course I'm not going to be buying a '57 strat or something, so in that instance, money is an issue, but looking at DBA.dk or Ebay for that matter, Americans are fairly fair in pricing (like...around 5000 dkr. used), and I'm more than willing to pay that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 21 2010, 09:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2010, 09:35 PM) *
You guys are cruel tonight. laugh.gif Guitar shops are closed, guuuys. I just want to hear your opinions about whether to get an American or a Mexican (or any other kind for that matter), as money really isn't an issue.

If money isn't an issue, get an american strat!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Oh, and also...to add to this... I've never really played a Fender Stratocaster before, but I've decided I rather want one... so I'm a Fender virgin. smile.gif

Try them just in case. Some will feel more comfortable than others. When I bought mine I tried american standard, signature models and even a custom. In the end I liked the american deluxe the best, but to each their own. Even they all look the same, the don't feel the same in your hands smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 09:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 21 2010, 09:55 PM) *
If money isn't an issue, get an american strat!

Try them just in case. Some will feel more comfortable than others. When I bought mine I tried american standard, signature models and even a custom. In the end I liked the american deluxe the best, but to each their own. Even they all look the same, the don't feel the same in your hands smile.gif

As said, of course I'll be trying some out in the nearest shop (and if I can, I will try the one I'll be buying used). But as of right now, I just want YOUR guys opinion on what to get smile.gif

Thanks so far.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 21 2010, 10:02 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I know Cae, you will have lots of fun trying strats, just find a shop that has a lot of different models smile.gif

It may very well happen that you find the perfect strat for you and it's mexican. Why not.
But as a blindfolded decision on what to get, I have recommend that you get an american one cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 21 2010, 10:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2010, 09:05 PM) *

Sniff, sniff.... yeah I have! The Mexican smells tequila and bad girls while the American smells Bud's and botux!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 21 2010, 10:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Feb 21 2010, 10:37 PM) *
Sniff, sniff.... yeah I have! The Mexican smells tequila and bad girls while the American smells Bud's and botux!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now I really can't make up my mind dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 21 2010, 11:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Feb 21 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Hahahahaha .... There's the real difference between both ..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2010, 12:48 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If you can afford it, I would suggest an American one. Its just not the same. But its most important to find the guitar that sounds and feels best to you. All guitars are unique so try as many as you can. Visit local music stores too (even if you want to get a used one) just to get a good feel of how they sound and what feels/sounds best to you - to have it as a comparison when you are trying out used guitars. IMO everyone needs a Strat smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
jdriver
Feb 22 2010, 05:18 AM
GMC:er
I've said it before, but it bears repeating.... If you've got it in your head that American "must be better," then you may as well get one, or else you'll always have the doubt in your head, and that will diminish your pleasure.

I think it's fair to say if you were to go to a store and grab a Mexican off the rack and also grab an American and compare them, the American will seem better most of the time. i think they just start with a higher minimum quality than the Mexican do, otherwise they wouldn't be worth the extra money.

And I'm with Fran, American Deluxe Rules!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 22 2010, 08:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 21 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Now I really can't make up my mind dry.gif

Hehe, just kidding. I was in Copenhagen for some 6 months ago trying out strats, and was in a music store near a little square (can't remember its name), they had a Mark Knopler signature that was simply stunning, I dont know if its still there. Tone-wise, it sounded more SRV than the SRV-signature model itself and was comparable to a master-built imo. But it was pretty expensive though, round 14-15.000 DKK, if I mind it right. The reason I didn't bought it was because of that VISA-card problem, my bank didn't let take that amount out, later I bought the Suhr strat instead....... but if its still there and if its affordable, go and have a look!

Cheers

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 22 2010, 09:44 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Staffy @ Feb 22 2010, 08:31 AM) *
Hehe, just kidding. I was in Copenhagen for some 6 months ago trying out strats, and was in a music store near a little square (can't remember its name), they had a Mark Knopler signature that was simply stunning, I dont know if its still there. Tone-wise, it sounded more SRV than the SRV-signature model itself and was comparable to a master-built imo. But it was pretty expensive though, round 14-15.000 DKK, if I mind it right. The reason I didn't bought it was because of that VISA-card problem, my bank didn't let take that amount out, later I bought the Suhr strat instead....... but if its still there and if its affordable, go and have a look!

Cheers

//Staffay

I think 15000 DKK is a little over the top, to be honest, but of course, it might be cheaper used. I'll probably be looking for some good deal used, as I'm prepared to spend about 7000 DKK on it, which would take me some way when buying used, I would geuss (have seen American strats at around 5000 DKK used). But I will definately check it out... if just for the hell of it! smile.gif

I've never really had an expensive guitar besides my Schecter that got wacked. Back when that was in proper shape I actually think I practiced more. I can't tell if it's in the gear or not, but it might be that my mind tells me something along the lines of: "You haven't spend much money on your guitar...why practice...go play some Playstation instead...". laugh.gif So maybe...just maybe...a new higher-end guitar would spark my interest again! smile.gif I hope so at least. Even though my guitar is quite good for what it is, it is still a 200-euro guitar with cheap-ish parts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 22 2010, 10:10 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hmmm, I saw a 77/78 strat on Ebay in Denmark a while ago for bout 7000 DKK, maybe its still there... At least it will be a good investment, since I believe the 70's gonna be collectors items as well! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:22 PM