3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Posterboy Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Aug 20 2012, 06:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 19 2012, 06:40 PM) *
http://soundcloud.com/mattkid/theory-with-click

Here you go Alex, It's at 65 bpm

Man it's a beautiful song!!! I like it so much!
Now when you have recorded it with a click I need a few things:
- Take of the click (you can leave countdown if you want)
- Reupload the track without a click and make it downloadable
- What chords are you using?
- What is the tempo

It will be a very very nice tune and we will have so much fun working and analyzing it! smile.gif
I am looking forward to finish the backing track! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 20 2012, 06:32 PM
Learning Roadie
The track is at 65 bpm

The Chords would be (I think)

A/G#7/C#m/D6b5
A/Am/G#m/C#m
Amaj7/Am/Gsus4/G# dim
A/G#7/C#m/C#7
A/Am/E2

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Theory_withoutclick.mp3 ( 2.95MB ) Number of downloads: 111

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 22 2012, 12:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 20 2012, 05:32 PM) *
The track is at 65 bpm

The Chords would be (I think)

A/G#7/C#m/D6b5
A/Am/G#m/C#m
Amaj7/Am/Gsus4/G# dim
A/G#7/C#m/C#7
A/Am/E2

Perfect!! Give me a few days to make a backing track! smile.gif
For now let's analyze the chord progression and talk about possible scales you can play over it!
Let's start with a first line
A/G#7/C#m/D6b5

I would like you to tell me what would be your scales choice?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 22 2012, 06:20 AM
Learning Roadie
A/G#7/C#m/D6b5

A Maj or Maj Pent
G# Mix
C# minor Pent
D maj Pent (but swap the 5th for b5)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 23 2012, 07:35 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 22 2012, 06:20 AM) *
A/G#7/C#m/D6b5

A Maj or Maj Pent
G# Mix
C# minor Pent
D maj Pent (but swap the 5th for b5)

Ok I'm correcting this as it's wrong. I was just in bed thinking over the piece

The piece is in A Lydian not E maj (until we resolve on the E maj at the end)

A/G#7/C#m/D6b5

This is off the top of my head purely based on the chord tones

A Lydian or A Maj Pent
G#Mix Not sure about this one as the G#7 is a parallel Major sub from Gm7
C# Aeolian or C# minor Pent
E Mixolydian (or a chromatic run as we have 4 consecutive tones it might just work!)
Choosing E Mix as the D6b5 is a tritone sup for the Dominant chord (E7) we have the D and G# as the tritone, D6b5 chord could be also named E9add11 no root or Eadd9add11/D

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Aug 23 2012, 08:14 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 23 2012, 10:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Ok so I've done some research and over the G#7 it looks (notes contained in it )and sounds like G# Phrygian Dominant works

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 24 2012, 05:04 AM
Instructor
Good choices of the scales! I have a questions:

1) G#Mix Not sure about this one as the G#7 is a parallel Major sub from Gm7

- Not sure what you meant?

2) Also how did you come up with a phrygian dominant?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 24 2012, 09:04 AM
Learning Roadie
The Phrygian Dominant over the G#7 was an interesting little journey for me.

I made a quick vamp of the G#7 and started to noddle around, I found that the phrygian mode was quite close, but obviously it's a minor mode so it wouldn't fit completely, it didn't have the c natural I needed for the G#7, when I added that note to the scale I heard a harmonic minor sound so I played with that, and it came out as the C# harmonic minor, I remembered from discussions about Sweet Child Of Mine that the 5 mode of the Harmonic Minor was the Phrygian Dominant, so I checked and was correct.

I did some more vamps using the A - G#7 to make sure it would fit in context and it did

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 26 2012, 05:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 24 2012, 08:04 AM) *
The Phrygian Dominant over the G#7 was an interesting little journey for me.

I made a quick vamp of the G#7 and started to noddle around, I found that the phrygian mode was quite close, but obviously it's a minor mode so it wouldn't fit completely, it didn't have the c natural I needed for the G#7, when I added that note to the scale I heard a harmonic minor sound so I played with that, and it came out as the C# harmonic minor, I remembered from discussions about Sweet Child Of Mine that the 5 mode of the Harmonic Minor was the Phrygian Dominant, so I checked and was correct.

I did some more vamps using the A - G#7 to make sure it would fit in context and it did

Interesting! smile.gif I like the way you are thinking! Why didn't you pick G# mixolydian? Since it is a 7th chord

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 26 2012, 06:49 AM
Learning Roadie
I didn't pick G# Mix because although it's a 7th chord it wasn't the V chord (which I'd normally associate with the mixolydian mode),playing it didn't work for me the F and Bb in the mode clashed with the progression and the scale didn't help get to the C#m.

As with all my ideas on theory I test them out on guitar to make sure it sounds good to me.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Aug 27 2012, 08:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 26 2012, 05:49 AM) *
I didn't pick G# Mix because although it's a 7th chord it wasn't the V chord (which I'd normally associate with the mixolydian mode),playing it didn't work for me the F and Bb in the mode clashed with the progression and the scale didn't help get to the C#m.

As with all my ideas on theory I test them out on guitar to make sure it sounds good to me.

Makes sense! smile.gif Your track will be ready tomorrow so we can start experimenting! and will try different modes and scales! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 8 2012, 12:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 26 2012, 05:49 AM) *

Here is the track I have created! I would like you to record a solo I would love to hear what you can come up with! smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/smoothjazz
Let me know what do you think! smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 9 2012, 08:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Alex could you post the backing without my original guitar chord melody track, I find it quite tough to come up with ideas with that there, unless you purposely want me to compose a solo that works around the melody, in which case I'll have to battle on!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 10 2012, 05:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 9 2012, 07:48 AM) *
Alex could you post the backing without my original guitar chord melody track, I find it quite tough to come up with ideas with that there, unless you purposely want me to compose a solo that works around the melody, in which case I'll have to battle on!

Here it is! Let me know what do you think!
Attached File  Backing_without_guitar.mp3 ( 2.26MB ) Number of downloads: 106

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 8 2012, 10:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm really struggling with this chord sequence Alex, it's so different from the diatonic type 4 chord stuff I usually have to play over (and I can't even blame you, seeing as I came up with it!)

I gave up on it for a while, I will try and come up with something, even if I'm not happy with it so you have something to critique and give advice and help with.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 9 2012, 06:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 8 2012, 09:57 AM) *
I'm really struggling with this chord sequence Alex, it's so different from the diatonic type 4 chord stuff I usually have to play over (and I can't even blame you, seeing as I came up with it!)

I gave up on it for a while, I will try and come up with something, even if I'm not happy with it so you have something to critique and give advice and help with.

Let's do it this way! We will start by analyzing this chord progression Write first 4 chords and give me an idea about what you would play over it

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 24 2012, 01:04 AM
Instructor
Hi I just wanted to follow up and check on you? How is everything going? Do you have any troubles with the chords?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 31 2012, 08:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Alex can we move towards Chord Melody type stuff, like Ted Greene and Joe Pass.

I have both of Ted Greene's books Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions, but they aren't something I've been able to make much use of by myself.

Maybe take a contemporary song and looking at making it instrumental with some interesting chord subs, re harmonising etc and going over the theory of it.

That's definitely where my interest in the more 'jazz' sounding stuff is rather than single line soloing or fusion etc

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Oct 31 2012, 08:03 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 31 2012, 08:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 31 2012, 07:01 AM) *
Alex can we move towards Chord Melody type stuff, like Ted Greene and Joe Pass.

I have both of Ted Greene's books Chord Chemistry and Modern Chord Progressions, but they aren't something I've been able to make much use of by myself.

Maybe take a contemporary song and looking at making it instrumental with some interesting chord subs, re harmonising etc and going over the theory of it.

That's definitely where my interest in the more 'jazz' sounding stuff is rather than single line soloing or fusion etc

What happened to the track we were working on? Unfortunately I can't teach you copyrighted material What we can do is take a famous Jazz standard and use the chord progression only you can write your own melody and improvise over it
What do you think?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 31 2012, 09:58 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm still working on it, I'll record where I'm at tomorrow (I have a day off),

A/G#7/C#m/D6b5
A/Am/G#m/C#m
Amaj7/Am/Gsus4/G# dim I think it's here I have problems, around the Gsus4 part, I'll try some arpeggio type thing there maybe
A/G#7/C#m/C#7
A/Am/E2

but I would like to go towards chord melody style afterwards rather than improv, I understand about the copywrited material issue, Is something like 'The Way You Look Tonight' a standard that we could take the melody, work it into a basic chord melody piece and then have fun with substitutions and re harmonising?

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:59 PM