Scales Over Keys?
zzericsc
Jan 31 2012, 09:07 PM
GMC:er
Hey there. Noobie here. Love the site but I'm a little lost with all of the content. I've been playing for almost 25 years on and off, mostly self taught and lots of books. Tons of tabs ect... Now I really want to learn the art & express myself with a good understanding of theory and what works ect...

So just a couple basic questions for now. For example if a simple piece is in the key of A with just a few standard or typical chord changes, lets say a I, IV, V, does that mean I can use an Am scale over the whole thing? Through all of the chord changes? I'm assuming that a major minor, pent, blues or whatever variation of scale is basically to preference. I'm just not sure of I need to be thinking of changing the Am scale to Dm scale with each I to IV chord change?

I'm just trying to keep it simple, I'm sure there are a million versions of an answer for that question but with the intent of memorizing fingering for the minor scale (root note A just happens to be the example) and improve memory of the intervals, 1st, second, flat 3rd ect... I'm hoping with some repetitive improvisation over a backing track I can get the scale across and along the fret-board memorized and then eventually just slide it up or down to change the tonic center or flatten/ sharpen notes of the intervals to change the flavor, like changing a flat 3 to just a 3 for a major sound or knowing to eliminate the 4th and 7th for a pent sound ect.

It seems most prefer to start with a memory of the major scale but I think it is more practical to my style to be working on a minor scale, the sound will fit together for me more intuitively. My last question is does anyone know where I can find a few simple backing tracks to loop in the rock/metal genre for practice or can someone make me one?

Great job from all & congratulations on your terrific community! Thank you!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
zzericsc
Feb 1 2012, 01:40 PM
GMC:er
Very helpful! Thanks you for your prompt response. You have also helped me to identify that I have no idea what a I, IV, V progression is. In the key of A, I assumed the IV would be D and the IV would be E based on the fourth and fifth of the scale. I'm going to have to brush up on a lesson there! No wonder I was struggling.

I randomly found a few scales posted on the site showing finger positions with the degrees of the tones of the scale in the middle with the root represented as 1 ect... but I can seem to get the scale generator to do it for me. Do you know of a quick link to a scale diagram like that?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 1 2012, 05:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (zzericsc @ Feb 1 2012, 12:40 PM) *
Very helpful! Thanks you for your prompt response. You have also helped me to identify that I have no idea what a I, IV, V progression is. In the key of A, I assumed the IV would be D and the IV would be E based on the fourth and fifth of the scale. I'm going to have to brush up on a lesson there! No wonder I was struggling.

I randomly found a few scales posted on the site showing finger positions with the degrees of the tones of the scale in the middle with the root represented as 1 ect... but I can seem to get the scale generator to do it for me. Do you know of a quick link to a scale diagram like that?

First of all you are right! I have made a mistake it's gonna be A-D-E which is I-IV-V ohmy.gif
I will make a scale diagram for you do you need modes or pentatonics?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:54 PM