Bought A New Amp!, question about headphones
Profanity
Feb 7 2009, 02:57 PM
GMC:er
on thursday (on my birthday) my brand new Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head was shipped (as said in the original thread) and i LOVE IT!:D its exactly the sound i wanted!! im so happy^^

BUT! when i got home, i noticed it didnt have any headphone slot, wich is something i thought all amps had, and i will not be able to play on it until i buy a cab.. but some guy told me i could just put a headsett through the outputs to the cab, is this possible or would this destroy something? the amp has 4 and 16ohm mono and 8ohm stereo

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SensE
Feb 7 2009, 03:02 PM
wow ! Congratulation first! I'm actually thinking to get an amp head too. I'm quite frustrated what cabinet should I go and etc..Your problem is actually what I will be facing, so, i'm interested to know if anyone could help.
Don't forget to upload a audio clip and picture of ur amp head.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 7 2009, 03:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
DON'T USE HEADPHONES ON AN AMP THAT HAS NO HEADPHONES OUT!!!!!!!

especially not on a 100watt tube amp, it'll bust your headphones right away

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Profanity
Feb 7 2009, 03:14 PM
is there anything i could do with it while waiting for a cab then?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2009, 03:14 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Profanity @ Feb 7 2009, 02:57 PM) *
on thursday (on my birthday) my brand new Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100w head was shipped (as said in the original thread) and i LOVE IT!:D its exactly the sound i wanted!! im so happy^^

BUT! when i got home, i noticed it didnt have any headphone slot, wich is something i thought all amps had, and i will not be able to play on it until i buy a cab.. but some guy told me i could just put a headsett through the outputs to the cab, is this possible or would this destroy something? the amp has 4 and 16ohm mono and 8ohm stereo

Congratulations on the buy!

Absolutely don't connect your headset in the cab output. You're amp head could infact fry. Don't even start the head without a cab connected since the head needs a cab connected to be safe.

Not many tube amps have headphone outputs, some do but they are mostly studio amps like the Blackstar HT, Windsor Studio and a couple more.
On solid state amps it's common though.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 7 2009, 03:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yep listen to the man (MickeM)!!!! Don't turn your amp on without a cab and don't plug stuff into it that is not a cab with the right resistance...

You can:
-Buy a 2x12 or even better a 4x12 cab and rock out!
-Buy a cheap 1x12 cab to pass the time until you can afford a real one
-Use the midi recording out (if your amp has one, I dunno) and play the head through a soundcard or PA afaik

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Feb 7 2009, 03:20 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 7 2009, 03:35 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 7 2009, 03:09 PM) *
it'll bust your headphones right away

yeah you're right, that's probably the first that would happen. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 7 2009, 03:47 PM
Instructor
Like said above, big no no for starting up the amp without a cab connected. You can get a good cab for pretty cheap, like this Framus Dragon:

http://www.thomann.de/fi/framus_fr_412_dragon_an.htm

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Feb 8 2009, 11:27 PM
Don't know where you live but Avatar Cabs are AMAZING and not just for the money, they sound dope too. I got the 212 Contemporary for about $400 and that's sick. But only if you live in the US im pretty sure. Hand made.
avatarcabs.com or something like that google them
good luck and id recommend not TOUCHING a single power switch or standby switch for now. itd fry like bacon smile.gif

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor
Tube heads require cabs in order to be TURNED ON! So DONT even turn on your head if you don't give it a proper speaker load. In other words if you don't have a cab plugged in and you turn on, you will damage the tranny, tubes, and other electronics. Never operate without a cab.

If your amp has a DI output, you can use that to go into mixer/soundcard, and then to headphones.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 9 2009, 01:32 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
As everyone said...its best to wait and get a cab for it....Congrats on the purchase man!! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:00 PM