My Newest Addition To My Collection
twist
Mar 25 2011, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone!

I was thinking about getting a new guitar for a long time now and i was saving money to get a custom build guitar from a friend (hes a luthier, so i would have the chance to do a lot by myself). And a week or so ago i had some trouble with the tremolo on my Charvel, so i visited the former mentioned friend to see whats wrong. We spend half a day fixing a lot of things on it and i decided to stock up on spare parts for that trem. Sadly noone is building that JT6 trem anymore wink.gif So i spend a few hours on ebay to look for used ones and found a few. All of them ended up at prices higher than i wanted to pay... But ebay was nice to me and linked some similar auctions, one of them was a charvel guitar looking exactly like mine. I couldnt do anything else than bidding on it and i finaly got it for around 180 Euro... And here it is:

Attached Image

Well, it does look like an almost perfect twin of my other guitar, just check out the side by side picture:

Attached Image

Ok, a few differences are there. The new one, a Charvel Predator, has a Schaller Tremolo, the old one has the jackson trem, both floyd rose licenced. The new one has a humbucker at the neck position, the old one a singlecoil. And the old one has the volume poti moved a bit down and to the rear of the guitar to get it out of the way of more ambitious guitar players wink.gif

The biggest difference, as mentioned before, is the tremolo system. The schaller trem is way more reliable and has a better overall quality. It took us half a day to get the Jackson trem to hold the tuning for more than one or two bends... The schaller was in best shape "out of the box". Well, the former owner had it assembled somewhat wrong, the saddles were mixed up, the highest ones not in the middle... Check it out in its full beauty:

Attached Image

My old guitar had the same 5-way switch, but as it was messed up seriously, i replaced it by a 3-way switch and a push/pull volume poti to get every combination of neck humbucker, bridge single coil possible. On the new one it works like a charm. The first position is the neck humbucker, second is the neck humbucker and the front-half of the bridge humbucker, third is both humbuckers, fourth is neck and back-half of bridge, and fifth is bridge humbucker only. This gives a lot of sound options and could easily be extended by a push/pull poti to split the neck humbucker in every position. Oh and as far as i can tell both pickups are the original fitted. The bridge position is a Jackson J90C and the neck position is a single-coil sized humbucker with no description.

The sound is typical early 90s metal-guitar smile.gif Nothing else to say... From screaming leads to high pressure rhythm everythings possible... smile.gif Sound might be a bit to "sharp" for blues or jazz stuff, but thats not my style of music anyway wink.gif I use it with a boss distortion through a Marshal MG100FX and a Fender Cabinet and i can get my preferred 90s metal sound from it, what else can you want smile.gif

I am realy happy i got this one and i already have offers to sell it for around 400 Euro, so it definitely was no waste of money wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
rivers just happen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 26 2011, 01:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Nice, great price too, I guess you got a bargain there mate smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
twist
Mar 26 2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah, definitely a bargain! Cleaned and set up this thing is wort between 300 and 400 Euro (100% original parts, no visible damages). I could sell it in parts and would still make more than i spend on it... But i definitely will keep it, i am just not the guy to sell a guitar, those are my babies smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 26 2011, 08:03 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Well, I sold my first ever electric, it was a Fender 69' Reissue Tele Japanesse. I don't regret it yet. Never really liked it, and I guess it's havng a better life now with its new owner than sleeping for years in its case hehe smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
twist
Mar 27 2011, 12:54 PM
Hehe, ok, if you dont particulary like that guitar its ok to sell it smile.gif I have a cheap rubbish gibson copy guitar here that i am thinking about selling it smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 29 2011, 10:31 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Congrats on getting this guitar. You managed to get a great deal on ebay. Also, it looks great and it's kinda cool to have twin guitars smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2011, 04:10 PM
Instructor
Wow, that's a great deal man, congratulations! Both guitars look great! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 30 2011, 04:14 PM
Congrats on the new one Twist!!!
The other thing that makes it easy to tell earlier and later model Charvels is the Logo!
Earlier have the 'Guitar' type and later have the 'Jackson Script' style!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
twist
Apr 4 2011, 02:01 AM
Yeah, forgot to mention that detail smile.gif But thats one easier to spot difference smile.gif If you take the guitar in your hands you would immediately know which ones the Charvel Predator cause the body is thinner where the neck is bolted to the body. Theres some sort of "cutout" . The same part on the older Model 3 is heavier smile.gif

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 4 2011, 08:42 AM
Congrats on the "TWINS"! It's in pretty good shape too! Great deal on that one. Some pretty simple updates/cosmetic fixes and it'll be good as new. Enjoy!

Todd

+Quote Post
twist
Apr 4 2011, 04:27 PM
What kind of updates/cosmetic fixes would you suggest?

--------------------
rivers just happen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:28 PM