Lick Contruction Class- Minor Pentatonic, Building Licks
meltedgraphics
Jan 29 2009, 09:43 PM
GMC:er
Hello David,

Let me start off by saying WOW your skills rock. I'm having a problem with building licks, If you could help me out by pointing me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. On part 2 of this lession for example, you start off with an G but it's bent to an "A" just like the chord. But when the chord changes to G your playing a D, and by the time the chord is in F, you sustain a G. Man I'm confussed. huh.gif

Also let me say I love this lesson. If you could suggest any other lessons similar to this, I would appreciate that too.

Am G F G

E||---------------------------|----------------------------|
B||--8b--8--5-----------------|-------------------5S-7S-5--|
G||------------7--L-----------|-------------------5S-7S-5--|
D||------------------7-----5--|--L--7----------------------|
A||---------------------7-----|---------------5-7----------|

Am G F

--------------------------------|-------------------|
--L-----------------------------|-------------------|
--L---------------------7b--5~--|--L----------------|
-----7p-5----5--L--7p-5---------|-------------------|
----------7---------------------|-------------------|

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Jeff

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 31 2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you enjoy the lesson man!
That's an interesting question you have here.
Basically, all the chords of the song are extracted from the same key which is A minor.

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

In other words, if you write down an A minor scale, you will find within that scale all the notes making the chords of the backing track.

For the solo, we're using an A minor pentatonic scale. A pentatonic scale is a 5 note scale constructed in this case over the A minor scale as follow:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

Now that means that these 5 notes (A-C-D-E-G) will work over our backing chords.
You don't need to worry about which note to play over which chord since they all will work over all the chords. The only difference is going to be the "color" that these notes will give to each chords.

That is why I can play D (which is in the pentatonic) over a G chord. Here, that D over G will sound like I'm adding a 5th to G.

Does that make sense?

As for similar lessons, you'll be happy to know that there will be a new one soon that will use the same exact backing track, but this time using the full A minor scale instead of the pentatonic scale.

Let me know if this helps!

QUOTE (meltedgraphics @ Jan 29 2009, 03:43 PM) *
Hello David,

Let me start off by saying WOW your skills rock. I'm having a problem with building licks, If you could help me out by pointing me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. On part 2 of this lession for example, you start off with an G but it's bent to an "A" just like the chord. But when the chord changes to G your playing a D, and by the time the chord is in F, you sustain a G. Man I'm confussed. huh.gif

Also let me say I love this lesson. If you could suggest any other lessons similar to this, I would appreciate that too.

Am G F G

B||--8b--8--5-----------------|-------------------5S-7S-5--|
G||------------7--L-----------|-------------------5S-7S-5--|
D||------------------7-----5--|--L--7----------------------|
A||---------------------7-----|---------------5-7----------|

Am G F

--L-----------------------------|-------------------|
--L---------------------7b--5~--|--L----------------|
-----7p-5----5--L--7p-5---------|-------------------|
----------7---------------------|-------------------|

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Jeff

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
meltedgraphics
Jan 31 2009, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Jan 31 2009, 07:12 AM) *
I'm glad you enjoy the lesson man!
That's an interesting question you have here.
Basically, all the chords of the song are extracted from the same key which is A minor.

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

In other words, if you write down an A minor scale, you will find within that scale all the notes making the chords of the backing track.

For the solo, we're using an A minor pentatonic scale. A pentatonic scale is a 5 note scale constructed in this case over the A minor scale as follow:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G

Now that means that these 5 notes (A-C-D-E-G) will work over our backing chords.
You don't need to worry about which note to play over which chord since they all will work over all the chords. The only difference is going to be the "color" that these notes will give to each chords.

That is why I can play D (which is in the pentatonic) over a G chord. Here, that D over G will sound like I'm adding a 5th to G.

Does that make sense?

As for similar lessons, you'll be happy to know that there will be a new one soon that will use the same exact backing track, but this time using the full A minor scale instead of the pentatonic scale.

Let me know if this helps!

Hello David,

Thank you for the reply, that helps out alot. I picked up the book The Guitar Grimoire, Scales and Modes, and I think I'm starting to get a handle on it. Once again thanks for the info.

Have a good one man,
Jeff

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 10 2009, 03:56 PM
Instructor
I'm glad it helped man! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:58 AM