Phrygian Dominant Progression
bleak
May 25 2009, 10:48 PM
GMC:er
Hi, just studying some modes and your lesson on 'Phrygian Dominant soloing' Here

I just have a quick question...

im guessing your in Amin, and the chords you are playing are Amin, Bbmin, and Gmin, so that makes the progression I, II, VII , I (correct me if ive got this wrong!)

Just wondering what other chord progressions sound good with the phrygian dominant? Or if you could point me towards somewhere that explains modes and their chord progressions.

I find it a bit confusing writing music using modes.. am i right in thinking u cant get a progression that was in Aminor and then play A dorian mode over it? Do you have to make a progression using the intervals of the dorian mode?

thanks, sorry if this has been asked before

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 26 2009, 01:40 AM
Phrygian dominant is a major scale, so It's either A5 or Amaj.

And, to answer your question (as I can't help myself)
If you want to play in Dorian, you need to have your root chord, or even root note on the same as Dorian.

Eg: Tonic is Bmin, and you play B Dorian scale.
However, to have a uniquely Dorian chord progression, you need to have to resolve from the strong note to the tonic chord.
Dorian's strongest note is the maj6, as only dorian is minor mode with maj6 note.

Example could be Dm7 - G7, or maybe make a chord that has the maj6, and vamp it, like B6.

In general, to make modal harmony, any chord containing the strong note of the mode, can resolve back to tonic, forming strong modal chord progression.

Edit; I forgot to answer your first question.
Phrygian dominant is a dominant scale with min2nd, so A7b9 would be good as vamp.

I guess a real phrygian dominant chord progression would contain the root, min2, 3rd 5th and 7th.
A5 Bb5 G5 Adim5? something like that.

And a quick note, the fewer chords, the more scales and modes you can use.
If you vamp a Single E5, you can use EVERY SCALE with perfect 5th. That's a huge amount of scales.

Sorry David, I love theory! Hope you're not offended by my indulgence!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kjutte: May 26 2009, 01:57 AM

+Quote Post
bleak
May 26 2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for your response!

So when writing music using modes, is it best to use modes that sound good with one chord and then maybe change to another mode when the chord changes in the progression etc... rather than basing a whole guitar lead in one mode?

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 26 2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor
Kjute answered well!
Phrygian Dominant is a Major mode, so in that lesson, the 1syt chord is an A Major.

Check out my tutorials on Youtube, here is the 1st video.
It should help a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9O_eutxbYY...feature=related

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 26 2009, 08:12 PM
QUOTE (bleak @ May 26 2009, 07:43 PM) *
Thanks for your response!

So when writing music using modes, is it best to use modes that sound good with one chord and then maybe change to another mode when the chord changes in the progression etc... rather than basing a whole guitar lead in one mode?

Quick input on this too, it's called "mode", you can translate it to mood I guess.
When writing, you use the mood that will fit to what you want to achieve!!

+Quote Post
enforcer
May 26 2009, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 26 2009, 10:12 PM) *
Quick input on this too, it's called "mode", you can translate it to mood I guess.
When writing, you use the mood that will fit to what you want to achieve!!

Well said cool.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 27 2009, 02:41 PM
Instructor
Very good way to put it!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:02 AM