Tapping Question: Volume Difference On High E And B String
311junkie
Jan 21 2008, 04:55 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

This is my first post on GMC smile.gif

I have this question that's been bugging me for awhile now and I'm sure that one smart fellows would be able to shed some light on the situation. I've been working a lot on doing hammer-on and pull-off exercises and also doing a fair amount of the beginner tapping exercises.

My problem is that it seems that no matter how hard I press down, I really can't get a good solid tone out of my High E string. However, it's not nearly as hard for me to get the loud and clear tone when doing the tapping on the B string. There's just a huge volume difference between the both the High E and B strings when doing tapping or just hammer-ons/pull-offs in general. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here's my Gear Specs to help out:

Guitar: Ibanez RG270
Pickups: EMG 60/81 (Bridge pickup selected for tapping)
Strings: .009-.042 D'Addario EXL120's
Pedal: Zoom 606 Multi-Effects pedal
Amp: Line6 Spyder3 15W Practice Amp

I look forward to talking to all you GMC'ers out there. Thanks in advance for the help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Batista
Jan 21 2008, 05:01 PM
Hey and welcome to GMC, hope you'll enjoy your stay as much as I do smile.gif

That's how it is for me too sort of, just that it's harder to make sounds out of the B string than the E string, but strangely enough, turn your volume up and it evens out, at last for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 21 2008, 05:01 PM
Instructor
You don't have this volume difference when playing picking,legato etc,
only with tapped/right hand notes?
When did you changed your strings last time?

Might be old string,high E suffers the most. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
at lights end
Jan 21 2008, 05:17 PM
forgive me if im wrong, but couldn't it also be that the action on your high E string is set too high? making it harder to press down.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
311junkie
Jan 21 2008, 05:21 PM
I don't have the problem when I pick the notes, but I definitely notice it when doing legato or tapping exercises where I don't pick any notes. It may likely just be my technique, which is why I'm here to get better! smile.gif I seem to have less trouble getting a solid sound with the thicker strings on hammer-ons/pull-offs. The high E is the one that I'm struggling with to get a good sound out of it.

I just changed my strings last week, so I think they'd still be ok. Would going up to 10 gauge strings necessarily make getting a sound out of legato and tapping easier?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 21 2008, 05:42 PM
Instructor
I believe 009 or even 008 will be much easier for tapping and legato stuff
tho you might try with 010 as well...

Practice it more,guess it's technique related issue,
and welcome to GMC once more. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
311junkie
Jan 21 2008, 06:03 PM
thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep chugging away at practicing. I have a few more packs of 9 gauge strings to go through, then I might give the 10's a shot anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 22 2008, 03:51 PM
Instructor
You're welcome and keep us updated! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Jan 22 2008, 10:48 PM
Instructor
If you aply to much force on tapping the sounds also is not so good becouse the string hitting the fretting board mkes some kind of rebound and it makes you do the movement twice.
Try this, fret a note with your taping finger and play it whit the other hand, thats the final amount of preasure you need, for plucking the note when tapping you don´t need any extraforce than when you´re playing hammer-ons..
Too high action makes difficult to get nice sound.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:46 PM