Screaming
sigma7
Nov 8 2009, 03:41 AM
GMC:er
Hi Luciana! I have a question about metal screams that I am sure a lot of people here want to know... ok, so, how exactly is it possible to scream and reduce as much damage as you can to your vocal chords? Is there a difference between inhaling and exhaling? Should I practice how to sing properly first? And what is your take on growling and death "gurgles." I would very much like to know how to do it like in the style of Dimmu Borgir, Behemoth, Immortal, Moonspell, etc. If you can help me out that would be great!

Thank you!
-Alexander

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by sigma7: Nov 8 2009, 04:40 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Nov 14 2009, 06:49 PM
Singing Instructor
Alexander...

There are different types of screaming ( I'm preparing a lesson about that)

but.. I'll do a question for you.... when you are pushing something heavy don't you Grunt? if you do it.... do you feel that you are damaging your vocal cords?? Try it! i'm sure you don't feel anything wrong...

This happen because you are using an extra force from your diaphragm while you are compressing your vocal cords..
but if you create this force into you larynx you will damage your vocal cords for sure. see the difference??
The grunt compresses your cords. As you do it, it zips then up. Don`t over do it. You can quickly wear out your voice this way. The trick is to use the grunt to get used to adducting then back it off, but keep the compression of the cords that resulted from it.

Try this exercise:
Take in a breath, grunt, and break into a note, and keep some of the effect of the grunt. You'll notice the effect better if you try for something in your higher range.

I`ll do a lesson soon about this ...

hope it helps....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Luciana Segovia: Nov 14 2009, 06:53 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Nov 14 2009, 07:01 PM
GMC:er
Haha, this was exactly what I was looking for and more. I was not expecting a lesson on it biggrin.gif but that is GREAT! I've trying the exercise and seems to be working. I am trying the grunt thing and so far nothing hurts.

I am really excited about your lesson now, I can't wait to start.

Thanks Luciana, this is really useful stuff smile.gif
-Alexander

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:44 PM