Accenting Strumming, help
RIP Dime
Mar 1 2008, 11:12 AM
GMC:er
This sucks because it's so basic, but I can't seem to get it. I can't seem to get good strong accents when I'm strumming, I can do it when I'm picking, but I just can't seem to to get it when strumming power chords, or just chords in general. I try to strum the strings harder when I know I have to accent but I barely get a louder sound, maybe I'm just strumming the unaccented notes too hard, idk.

This is killing me when I play with other people, is there any good certain way I should go about fixing this problem?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Mar 1 2008, 11:16 AM
Instructor
You found the solution yourself!

you play the unaccented note too hard, also a heavier pick will give you more dynamics

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 1 2008, 05:01 PM
Maybe the way you hold your pick is too stiff?

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2008, 07:57 PM
Instructor
Maybe your hand is too stiff? Try to relax your right hand completely, and only hold the pick in a 90 degrees angle relative to the strings. Also when playing chords use a lighter pick, and when playing powerchords with distortion use some heavier pick. This can help. Strumming chords with a heavy pick is not too nice-sounding.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Mar 1 2008, 08:06 PM
Instructor
Maybe your hand is too stiff? Try to relax your right hand completely, and only hold the pick in a 90 degrees angle relative to the strings. Also when playing chords use a lighter pick, and when playing powerchords with distortion use some heavier pick. This can help. Strumming chords with a heavy pick is not too nice-sounding.

I don't like to change picks when I'm playing, I prefer to use one 1mm pick for both lead and strumming biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Joe Kataldo: Mar 1 2008, 08:06 PM

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 2 2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys, I think it was a combination of strumming too hard on unaccented notes, and my right hand was too stiff, I don't think I used enough of my wrist when strumming, I was using my whole arm on every strum, now I'm trying to use my wrist, and less arm to get a softer sound on unaccented notes, and using more arm and less wrist to get a louder accent. I think it's working pretty well, I just gotto get used to it, so I can get good accents all the time. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 2 2008, 05:59 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ Mar 2 2008, 05:11 AM) *
Thanks guys, I think it was a combination of strumming too hard on unaccented notes, and my right hand was too stiff, I don't think I used enough of my wrist when strumming, I was using my whole arm on every strum, now I'm trying to use my wrist, and less arm to get a softer sound on unaccented notes, and using more arm and less wrist to get a louder accent. I think it's working pretty well, I just gotto get used to it, so I can get good accents all the time. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get a tube amp wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 2 2008, 06:36 PM
QUOTE (SinoMan @ Mar 2 2008, 05:59 PM) *
Get a tube amp wink.gif

I have a Peavey ValveKing 212, not the best amp, but it's alot of amp for the price, and it's all tube. wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 2 2008, 06:55 PM
Well, then just practice wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:35 PM