4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Gmc Lesson Plans, Don't know where to start? Can't find the lesson you want? Che
RIP Dime
May 7 2008, 03:12 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMCers! GMC has grown a great deal and the lessons number is now so great that many of us have a hard time finding lessons that fit our needs. This problem has been made obvious by the many threads that read "Where do I start?" & "I need help with <insert technique here>". So to remedy this problem we have come up with this thread! If we all contribute to this thread, this will be a one stop guide to finding lessons that contain everything you need to improve the area of playing that you want! Making GMC an even more powerful learning tool. biggrin.gif

In this thread students, and instructors will be free to post lesson plans that contain GMC lessons that help a certain topic of guitar. In this thread students will get person to person advice on what lessons to practice to meet their guitar playing goals.

To keep everything orderly and easy to understand we'll provide this template for lesson plans:

Topic
1) Links to lessons that will help the student gain basic understanding of the topic. As well as lessons that explain how to improvise or use the technique in thier own playing. 101 lessons, basically.
Then a description of how these lessons have helped you, or(if you are an instructor) why you think this will help students. Feel free to include any tips to learning the lessons, as well as any single part of the lesson that helps the most. Theory will be important too, any links to Andrew's theory lessons, or any of your own theory tips will also help.

2) Links to lessons that include exercises that will help the student increase his chops in that area. (this will be the lessons the students should spend the most time on, so song lessons that are good workouts aswell are welcome)
Then a description of how the lesson helped you, or(if you are an instructor) why you think it will help students. Again, any tips, or point out any single part of the lesson that helps the most. Theory will be important too, any links to Andrew's theory lessons, or any of your own theory tips will also help.

3)
Finally, links to lessons that will show students how to use techniques in context, like song lessons.
Then a description of how the lesson helped you, or(if you are an instructor) why you think it will help students. Again, any tips, or point out any single part of the lesson that helps the most. Theory will be important too, any links to Andrew's theory lessons, or any of your own theory tips will also help.

If you don't know how to do all this formating stuff, quote this post, copy the first lesson plan along with the tags(all the [braketed stuff] stuff), and insert your info. If you have any questions doing this, PM me, or I'm also on MSN messenger.

As you may have realised, very thourough lesson plans will also point out lessons that are missing, and areas of GMC that are thin on lessons. All in all making GMC a better learning tool!

So feel free to post lesson plans on any guitar topic, and I will add them into this post. Don't worry about doubling up on lesson topics, as long as it's different from any previous ones, it will help. smile.gif

Rock on!
/Jeff

On with the lesson plans!

-----------------------------------------------

Posted by RIP Dime
Alternate Picking

1)
Kris-Speedpicking Basics
Pavel-Alt Picking 1
Kris-Metronome Use
Muris-Upstroke Focus

Ok, the first things I tackled when I first got to GMC was getting good at alternate picking, while the context of these lessons is more lead oriented, they do wonders for your rythym aswell. Kris does a wonderful explanation in his Speedpicking basics lesson, great for total beginners to alt picking. If you scroll down on Kris' speedpicking lesson, you will find the other 2 of the series. Pavel's and Kris' alt picking lessons are great for understanding the hand motions of alt picking, because they explain it to you, so I don't need to. laugh.gif I would like to emphasize that you take those 2 lessons on AFTER the metronome lesson, the metronome will make you learn alt picking in a proper, orderly way. One thing I would add is I set my metronome to accent every 4th beat, just to remind me to accent. I included Muris' upstroke focus lesson because I think being able to start any sequence on an up OR downstroke is a great ability.

2)
Pavel-Alt Picking 2
Pavel-Alt Picking 3
Pavel-Alt Picking 4
Gabriel-Queensryche
Gabriel-Shred Solo
Kris-CURIOUS COINCIDENCE \m/
Toni-MEGA ULTRA UBER TREMOLO

Exercises! You should spend most of your time in these lessons, building your chops. Pavel's lessons here are great for memorizing scale positions, and the type of speedpicking here is very Rusty and MAB. Gabriel's lessons here are much more than alt picking exercises, witch is great because you don't want to get too bored now do you? I find that Gabriel's picking technique is very similar to mine, so his lessons fit me very well. And I just had to put Curious Coincidence here, it's just too awesome! My first guitar breakthrough happened practicing this song, maybe the same will happen for you? biggrin.gif As for Toni's lesson, it's awesome for stamina and right hand speed, in the context of riffs, really a great exercise, I only see one person practing it now, shame GMC. tongue.gif Remember to use a metronome!

3)
Marcus-Neoclassical
Gabriel-Shrapnel Style
Juan-Advanced Country
Muris-Paul Gilbert Style
Nocturnal Vision
David-Gilmour 2

Shining examples of guitar playing. Now time to put alt picking to use, study these lessons, not exactly the song itself, but look at how they use thier technique to emphasize strong notes. You could just learn the song, but then you would be missing the point, the point is to take thier licks, and extract the ideas strait from the freaking mind of the instructor, so you can understand how to make alt picking fit in your playing. This took me a while to do, but it's worth it! I added David's Gilmour lesson so you remeber to phrase.
And hit up, Andrew's theory lessons on modes and the major scale aswell! modes
Have a nice day! biggrin.gif

Posted by Ilhua
Alternate picking for the casual player

Alternate Picking is one of the hardest, if not the hardest technique to develop simply because it requires alot of time and patience, two things that alot of people, including me, lack! so I thought I'd share this plan with all the people out there who are like me and want to improve alternate picking, but lack the time and patience to sit down for hours of picking exercises, instead plan will show you a more intresting path that will hopefully give you the idea on how to keep things intresting when practicing this extremly tedious technique!

Lesson Order:

1) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=60 Target Bpm=120
2) Pavel's Alternate Picking 2 Starting Bpm=60 Target Bpm=130
3) Muris's Alternate Picking Bpm Varies(Read below)
4) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=80 Target Bpm=130
5) Pavel's Alternate Picking 2 Starting Bpm=100 Target Bpm=136
6) Muris's Alternate Picking Bpm Varies(Read below)
7) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=100 Target Bpm=136

So are you getting the idea of this plan? It's a very simple concept, you take a lesson, learn it to a certain bpm, than switch to the next lesson, learn it to a bit higher bpm, and so on until you reach the point that you want to go back to previous lessons and increase you'r bpm there!

This specific plan is for the beginners-intermidiate, the ones who are just starting to learn alternate picking, check out Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 lesson, now take only the first 2 bars and focus you'r practicing on them, start off at 60 bpm, and if needed even slower, and focus mostly on you'r picking hand, making sure you alternate pick constantly, once you get alternate pick without thinking too much about it(should take a few times) you will be able to make a big leap in you'r bpm, I know you'r probably thinking it looks like a long way from 60 to 120, but trust me it isn't and you should be able to reach the 120 mark in a few days(for some it will take less, for some more).
Once you achieve that, switch to Pavel's Alternate Picking 2, again practicing only the first 2 or 3 bars, start at 60 bpm again, because it's a diffrent pattern and you need to adjust to alternate picking again(don't worry it will get easier later on), and do the same procedure you did with the first lesson, only that this time push yourself to the 130 bpm mark!
After youv'e done that, I bet you feel tired and ready to switch to something new and exciting, so now check out Muris's Alternate Picking lesson, "Wow, what do I do?, it's diffrent!" I hear you think to yourself, but worry not, pick a small section of the lesson(2 or 3 bars), and do as you did in the first two lesson, lower the tempo to a very comfortable speed(I lowerd it to 40 on some parts) and work you'r way up to a reachable goal, or until you get tired of the exercise and feel it's time to move on!

And so we finished our first cycle of lessons, now it's time to go back to those lessons to find that it's easier to improve now! YAY! that's because we still continued gaining experience in alternate picking and at the same time kept changing what we were playing to keep things intresting! so now go back to the first lesson, start off at a moderate tempo(for this example it's 80) to remind yourself of the pattern, and push you'r bpm limit further than 120 up to 130, and if that was easy for you, than push it even further! now go on to the second lesson and do the same thing, start at a moderate tempo to remind yourself of the pattern and work past you'r previous bpm limit to new heights! the reason I wrote 136 and not a bigger number, because to me it becomes really hard working up bpm's after the 130 mark, so I work on smaller steps to not lose intrest.
And finally you are back at the third most intresting lesson, now here you got three options, you can either continue working on the same part you already started with, or you can switch to a diffrent part and learn an entire new pattern, or(my recomendation) work on both the old and new patterns together, as now is just about the time you'll be able to work on two diffrent alternate picking without feeling it's too long and boring(Talking from personal experience).

So as you can see it's preety much a wash, dry, repeat procedure, just as long as you keep changing what you'r practicing from time to time, and when you feel you need more stuff to work on you should add more exercises(Work towards working on 4 exerices at once to begin with), and it should keep you'r restless spirit entertained. smile.gif

Some lesson suggestions you could borrow patterns from:
1)Muris's Thirds Alternate Picking
2)Pavel's Alternate Picking 4
3)Walliman's Alternate Picking Chops
4)Gaberiel Leopardi's Shred Solo

Also check out RIPdime's wonderful guide at the first post, he provded alot of links to lessons so you go a whole pattern/lick/exercises library just there!

If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me!
~Iluha

Posted by coffeeman
Intermediate Soloing

This lesson plan is design for all the players that want to take their solo playing a bit further. I have chosen this lessons after reading a post from Marcus Lavendell where he says that one of the most important things is to play with your ears, and in these lessons this is absolutely important. More than be a metronome machine you have to fell the backing tracks , and you will know exactly how to play them. This has been one of my biggest problems , timing, but since Im playing more with my ears and less 1,2,3,4 I have improved a lot. This is just me it is not an absolut truth so if you prefer to learn these lesson first with the metronome , go ahead and do it. So no more talking and more music.

Neoclassical three level lesson Intermediate-Marcus Lavendell
This lesson is just awesome, it has a couple of alternate picking runs but it should be no problem if you are in the intermediate level.

B major Intermediate solo-Muris Varajic
This is an awesome solo , hear it and feel it. It may seem very easy but it has a couple of tricky parts. You will find, sweep picking, tapping, and 32nd note runs and 16th triplet runs, so listen very well for those rythm changes.

Three level lesson-Intermediate
This is one of my favourites solos. And yes again Marcus Lavendell Im a big fan, what can I say. I recommend you to learn the Beginner solo because it is the first part of the song. I must say I haven't nail this solo yet , but im on it. You will find a very fast run in this solo, but taking the words of Marcus, do not concentrate on the rythm of this lick, feel the first and the last notes , thos should be in time , the middle notes you can play them as you fell them. And as Marcus himself told me , do not practice that run with the metronome , feel it and practice it with the backing track.

D dorian mode Solo- Gabriel Leopardi
Another beautiful solo. It has a couple of fast runs , but most important a lot of feeling.

And here are some lessons I haven't practice but still have the main point of this lesson plan, it isn't about speed it is about feelling the music and playing with your ears.

Satch Style lydian Lesson-David Wallimann I did learnt this one , is an awesome lesson to feel the lydian mode. 100% recommended

D minor Pentatonic Solo-Jerry Arcidiacono Awesome pentatonic solo from Jerry.

Little Jazz Workshop lesson 3- Ivan Milenkovic Pure music and feeling.

So thats it , enjoy and play with your ears!

Andrés.

Posted by kaznie_NL
Beginner Guide

1)
Beginner Kick-Off
David's Chord Lessons
To get started you need some basic things, they an be found in the beginner Kick-Off. There we find a bit of theory, a bit on chords, a bit on solo's...just a bit of everything biggrin.gif . This is very usefull because you'll need it all to get a strong basis Later on you can orientate on smaller parts, but now it's usefull to start wide. David's chord lessons will give you a basis on chords. You can mix these lessons, but it's very handy to learn how to do barre chords before you start on david's lessons. For me doing David's lessons wasn't needed, I knew enough chords after some years of playing. You don't need to learn all his lessons by hard, pick one out and start trying it. Don't get frustrated with the barre and F chord tongue.gif

2)
Frusciante Style
Frusciante Style 2
Mixolydian Beginner
Get that shuffle!
Tapping 1
Metronome lesson
These lessons will keep you motivated and learn you some more basics. If a lesson has a fast run, just skip it. For now that's cool. The frusciante styl lessons realy got me, I loved them! Of course also because I'm a RHCP fan but still...They can realy help you. The mixolydian was a nice one to start with, but don't do the whole song if you find it to hard after a while. The shuffle lesson is a nice one to keep motivated, especialy the start is easy. The tapping lesson is a nice one to keep your basis wide, and also to let your family go "Aaaaah...." and your friends will say "How long have you been playing?". Metronome knowledge comes in very very handy after a while. It's good to practice with a metronome and this lesson shows you how. But anothing important thing is that this lessons teaches some theory on triplets and 32th notes (don't know what I'm talking about? Go to the lesson biggrin.gif )

3)
These are examples of what you can play after you know the basics! Here the techniques work together and create something. The Jazz workshop uses chords you have learned with OToole's lessons, the metal lesson contains about everything you've learned biggrin.gif , the blues licks contains some techniques learned from the mixolydian lesson like pull-offs and the simple melodies 2 lesson shows you how you, with your low level, can still make something beatiful

I hope this has helped anyone, good luck with it!!

Greetz, Kaz

Posted by Lithuanian
Sweep Picking

1)

(in the order you should learn the lessons)

Kris - Metronome Use Guide
Pavel - Sweep Picking Basics

2)

Pavel - 3 String Shapes
Pavel - 5 String Shapes
David Wallimann - Basic ascending and descending 5 string shapes all along the neck
Muris - Sweep Picking from 2 string shapes to 5 string shapes
Pavel - Sweep Picking Etude

2,5)

(these lessons contain Sweep Picking + Other Technique exercises)

Pavel - Sweep Picking and Alternate Picking
Muris - Sweeping and Tapping
Gabriel - Neoclassical Sweeping Legato

3)

Muris - Mixolydian Advanced Soloing
Carlos - Minor Melodies & Sweep Picking
Muris - Funk Soloing
David - Inspiration Solo
Muris - Begginer Solo in D
Pavel - Luca Turilli Style Lesson
Muris - Extreme Neo-Classical
Pavel - Luca Turilli (Rhapsody) Style Lesson

Posted by Nick325
Tapping

1)
Kris- Tapping Basics and Beyond
Kris- Tapping Randy Rhoads Style
Kris- Two handed tapping
Kris- More Two hand tapping
Before i came to GMC i only knew alternate picking and legato techniques, but when i came here and saw all these new techniques i never heard of i before and decided to watch videos of them. When i saw the tapping lessons i knew i had to learn this technique because it sounds cool and looks cool. So i found the most basic tapping lesson on the site to start with which is the first lesson i listed. These lessons give you the basic understanding of the technique, how to play it, and examples to get you started. After you can get the first lesson down you can move on to the next lesson and so on.

After those lessons you can try these.
Jeff- Melodic Tapping
David- Classical Taps

2)
Gabriel- Tapping
Trond- Rythmic Tapping
David- Tapping Licks without picks
Juan- Tapping
Muris- Tapping
Muris- EVH style
Now that you can play tapping at a beginner level (well if not dont go on until you can) you are going to want to get your chops goods. So now you need to practice excercises. Above i listed the lessons i learned to get my tapping very good. When working up the speed you should practice with the metronome!

3)
Pavel- Slow solo
Juan- Shred Tapping
David- Metalhead
Kris- GMC intro
These lessons are for practicing songs (you could say) with tapping in them. It is good to intergrate it into your playing instead of just playing only tapping. If you mix different techniques you can get an interesting solo.

Extra: After you learn these you can try a little different version of tapping called touch technique, its very a like but you play a backing with your left hand and tap a melody with your right hand. Here are some lessons related to it.
Juan- Touch Technique
Juan- Touch Technique Sus2 Apreggios
Juan- Touch Technique Right Hand
Juan- Polyphonic Tapping

Note: I did not include every tapping lesson on the site. If you want to learn more you can do so. Its about how good you want to be at the technique

Posted by RIP Dime
Basic Metal/Rock Song Writing

This is for the people trying to get out of their beginner phase and trying write some songs, take what you learn here about riffs and apply them to your own songs. Think of these techniques as tools, barre chords, power chords, open chords, pedal notes, strumming patterns, chord progressions, tapping, basically every guitar technique under sun is a tool for you to use at your disposal when writing songs.

This is going to be structured a little differently than my normal lessons, I'm going to post lessons containing techniques that I think are either important or cool to use in songs, and explain some of their uses. I'm also separating them into 3 groups, increasing in difficulty to use in songs. So first watch the lesson, learn the technique, then read what I have to say about how to use it in a song. Or you can read the explanation first to see what you'll be doing with the technique. *Disclaimer: These are just easy, basic places, and ways to use these techniques, this is by no means the only way to go about writing, the possibilities are endless, this is just meant to help.

1)
Kris-Power Chords
Kris-Barre Chords
Lian-Death Metal
Toni-Octaves
Joe-Arpeggiated Chords
Joe-Firewind

Ok, here we go the meat and potatoes of songwriting. Firstly, metal and power chords go together like Americans and Hamburgers. Check out Kris' lesson for great explanations. Power chords, or 5 chords(example: A5) are very easy to use in riffs, you can see the use of them in Lian and Toni's lessons above. They are basically used to get a strong punch out of the amp, and they sound great with distortion. Palm muting a single power chord(usually a low chunky one), and playing it rhythmically can give you the basic metal breakdown, not great as a main riff, but it has it's place in a song's structure. Strumming 3 or 4 different power chords after each other is also an easy way to establish a chord progression, useful for a chorus, verse, or solo backing(listen to any pop punk song and you'll hear this somewhere). Or you can just let the power chords ring out one after another to create your popular power metal chorus riff. A basic progression you can use is I V VI IV, 1 5 6 4, or in the key of D: D5 A5 B5 G5 is great for pop punk or power metal. You can try any combination you like, and use it in your song. Those are a couple ways to use power chords to create very simple but effective parts of a song. Now crap on a donkey and give it your bowtie. (just seeing if anyone is reading this) tongue.gif
Barre chords can be used in a similar way to power chords, except they contain 1 more note, the 3rd, or the note that makes the chord minor or major. Try different combinations of these to make a progression by ear or you can go by a chord scales. Barre chords work great clean or distorted, so try both, and if you like the way they sound, use it! You can also create arpeggiated chords from barre chords, as shown in Joe's lesson above. Arpeggiated passages work great for any section of a song, really. Also look up finger picking, as this is a way of getting the arpeggios faster than with a pick, and also allows you to do more complex patterns.
*As you probably noticed, I've left out open chords, but as these should be one of the first things you learn I left out a lesson on it, but if you aren't familiar with open chords, look it up in the lessons section, or if you want a recommendation of how to learn it just let me know and I'll help you out. Open chords can be used in the same fashion as power, and barre chords, but allows you some freedom as you'll probably have a finger not assigned to a string, so it allows you to do some fancy legato, or maybe just to add a note here and there, but that is all just icing on the cake, and we're focusing on the baking of a cake here.
I added Joe's Firewind & Lian's lesson to display note pedalling, witch is a great way to establish key, and allows your left hand total freedom to add extra notes in between the pedal notes, or do like Lian did, and add power chords in between to make a sort of choppy chord progression, it doesn't establish a chord progression as clearly as just using chords, but it works. These riffs also work as easy backings to solo over in one scale. These work great as main riffs, but they also create this crawling, beastly vibe that can work anywhere you want that sound.
Octaves are easy to use for thick melody lines, as shown in Toni's lesson. These little octave riffs can be used again, anywhere, but are easiest to use as bridge riffs imo.

2)
A little harder here, I'd like to talk about melodies, these are ways for guitarists to voice their creativity is a way similar to the way vocalists do. There are many ways to play melodies, just search the word "melodies" in the lessons section and you'll see what I'm talking aboot(look I did it for you, how easy is this!), all of those lessons show ways that you can express yourself in a song. Now melodies can go almost anywhere in a song as well, you could actually make non repetitive melodies and use those in place of vocals! How crazy is that! But if you're looking for a place to put a melody, try a bridge, or chorus first. Melodies aren't actually techniques, they can contain basically any technique, but you can practice those on you own, melodies are the application. wink.gif

3)
Now I'm goin to talk about difficult techniques, these basically can take the basic, boring, tools I've talked about so far, and transform them into something unique and interesting.
David-Lead & Rhythm interaction
First up, lead and rhythm interaction, the concept here is more important than learning what is being played. Pretty self exclamatory, being that David explains it! laugh.gif But what I have to add here is be careful not to litter your songs with lead bits. Sometimes it is more fitting for you to step back and let the singer do some of the melody section stuff.
Lian-Prog
Now if you are the only guitar player you will have to master making riffs that can stand alone and be interesting. These palm muted one notes lines achieve this fairly easily. And for other techniques to make stand alone interesting riffs, I highly recommends delving into the expansive amount of prog lessons here(look, I've done it for you again! I should get a cookie). If you've come so far that you can play these lessons I'm pretty sure you can extract these techniques and apply them to your playing all by yourself! I know, it will be tough without my long winded explanations. sad.gif wink.gif But hey! if you're having a hard time, ask! Make a thread, we are all here for each other. One thing I would like to point out is the use of wierd diads, such as the b5 chords (ex: E:5 A:6 D:7), major diad (ex: E:5 A:4 D:7), minor diad (ex: E:5 A:3 D:7). You can take those shapes and move them around, also the note on the D string is just an octave of the root, so it's not nessicary to play that. Often you can use these in place of power chords to get a more washed out sound, and next time the riff comes around use the power chords, to give it more punch. But these can really open up the sound of your metal chug chug riffs. And really, adding all this "icing" to the cake really makes your music stand out, just make sure you have the "cake" or the meat of a good song, or there will be no nutritional value to the song, it will just be pretty. I'm not saying you have to conventionally structure your songs, because you don't, I guess what I'm saying is make the song have a purpose, nothing more.
Ok, now nearing the end.
If you got 2 guitar players, use them! Try not to have both of them playing the exact same thing all the time, or else it pretty much defeats the purpose of having two. You can harmonize, you can have the guitars flowing in and out of each other, or have them complimenting each other, whatever the case, there is no point to having 2 guitar players if there is no dynamic between them, unless you just want the other guy to look pretty onstage! But you also don't want cacophony(the band and the term), well, I don't like that. Having the guitarists lock up at certain points yields great advantages as well, it can create a bigger contrast for the dynamic between them. I haven't really found a lesson yet that has two guitar players interacting with one another at the same time(other than lead, and rhythm guitars). But listen to Mastodon, Protest The Hero, Opeth, Testament, etc...and you'll get it.

4)
Lian-Power Metal Concepts
Ivan-Songwriting
I highly recommend these lessons to add to this lesson plan.
Have a nice day! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Jul 16 2008, 10:35 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 7 2008, 03:15 AM
I love the idea Rip Dime.

Ill try to contribute sometime this week ! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
iainsteward
May 7 2008, 03:16 AM
Great idea Dime!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2008, 09:37 AM
GMC Founder
This is just excellent Jeff - I think this could be the beginning of a new phenomenon at GMC! biggrin.gif Thanks for the initiative!

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 7 2008, 09:38 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Great smile.gif
Thanks for doing this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
May 7 2008, 09:57 AM
this is a fantastic idea, and will definetly help people, especially me who is terrible at organization. biggrin.gif
I think we should avoid the posts, and stick to the topic and what the thread is about so we don't have to scroll through pages and pages of "fantastic idea!" and such biggrin.gif
Cheers

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2008, 10:00 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ May 7 2008, 08:57 AM) *
this is a fantastic idea, and will definetly help people, especially me who is terrible at organization. biggrin.gif
I think we should avoid the posts, and stick to the topic and what the thread is about so we don't have to scroll through pages and pages of "fantastic idea!" and such biggrin.gif
Cheers

I see what you mean - but I think it's great if everyone gives their feedback here - as well as maybe new lesson plans.

If we should get many plans - we will make something bigger out of this (wiki section, new sub board, or whatnot!) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
May 7 2008, 10:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Great idea. This is gonna help a lot ^^
Maybe we should start with pinning this topic, so it's easier to find it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lithuanian
May 7 2008, 10:51 AM
I will try to do one on sweep picking if somebody wount beat me to it biggrin.gif

Sweep Picking

1)

(in the order you should learn the lessons)

Kris - Metronome Use Guide
Pavel - Sweep Picking Basics

2)

Pavel - 3 String Shapes
Pavel - 5 String Shapes
David Wallimann - Basic ascending and descending 5 string shapes all along the neck
Muris - Sweep Picking from 2 string shapes to 5 string shapes
Pavel - Sweep Picking Etude

2,5)

(these lessons contain Sweep Picking + Other Technique exercises)

Pavel - Sweep Picking and Alternate Picking
Muris - Sweeping and Tapping
Gabriel - Neoclassical Sweeping Legato

3)

Muris - Mixolydian Advanced Soloing
Carlos - Minor Melodies & Sweep Picking
Muris - Funk Soloing
David - Inspiration Solo
Muris - Begginer Solo in D
Pavel - Luca Turilli Style Lesson
Muris - Extreme Neo-Classical
Pavel - Luca Turilli (Rhapsody) Style Lesson

--------------------
Lithuanian

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 7 2008, 11:19 AM
Alternate picking for the casual player

Alternate Picking is one of the hardest, if not the hardest technique to develop simply because it requires alot of time and patience, two things that alot of people, including me, lack! so I thought I'd share this plan with all the people out there who are like me and want to improve alternate picking, but lack the time and patience to sit down for hours of picking exercises, instead plan will show you a more intresting path that will hopefully give you the idea on how to keep things intresting when practicing this extremly tedious technique!

Lesson Order:

1) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=60 Target Bpm=120
2) Pavel's Alternate Picking 2 Starting Bpm=60 Target Bpm=130
3) Muris's Alternate Picking Bpm Varies(Read below)
4) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=80 Target Bpm=130
5) Pavel's Alternate Picking 2 Starting Bpm=100 Target Bpm=136
6) Muris's Alternate Picking Bpm Varies(Read below)
7) Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 Starting Bpm=100 Target Bpm=136

So are you getting the idea of this plan? It's a very simple concept, you take a lesson, learn it to a certain bpm, than switch to the next lesson, learn it to a bit higher bpm, and so on until you reach the point that you want to go back to previous lessons and increase you'r bpm there!

This specific plan is for the beginners-intermidiate, the ones who are just starting to learn alternate picking, check out Pavel's Alternate Picking 1 lesson, now take only the first 2 bars and focus you'r practicing on them, start off at 60 bpm, and if needed even slower, and focus mostly on you'r picking hand, making sure you alternate pick constantly, once you get alternate pick without thinking too much about it(should take a few times) you will be able to make a big leap in you'r bpm, I know you'r probably thinking it looks like a long way from 60 to 120, but trust me it isn't and you should be able to reach the 120 mark in a few days(for some it will take less, for some more).
Once you achieve that, switch to Pavel's Alternate Picking 2, again practicing only the first 2 or 3 bars, start at 60 bpm again, because it's a diffrent pattern and you need to adjust to alternate picking again(don't worry it will get easier later on), and do the same procedure you did with the first lesson, only that this time push yourself to the 130 bpm mark!
After youv'e done that, I bet you feel tired and ready to switch to something new and exciting, so now check out Muris's Alternate Picking lesson, "Wow, what do I do?, it's diffrent!" I hear you think to yourself, but worry not, pick a small section of the lesson(2 or 3 bars), and do as you did in the first two lesson, lower the tempo to a very comfortable speed(I lowerd it to 40 on some parts) and work you'r way up to a reachable goal, or until you get tired of the exercise and feel it's time to move on!

And so we finished our first cycle of lessons, now it's time to go back to those lessons to find that it's easier to improve now! YAY! that's because we still continued gaining experience in alternate picking and at the same time kept changing what we were playing to keep things intresting! so now go back to the first lesson, start off at a moderate tempo(for this example it's 80) to remind yourself of the pattern, and push you'r bpm limit further than 120 up to 130, and if that was easy for you, than push it even further! now go on to the second lesson and do the same thing, start at a moderate tempo to remind yourself of the pattern and work past you'r previous bpm limit to new heights! the reason I wrote 136 and not a bigger number, because to me it becomes really hard working up bpm's after the 130 mark, so I work on smaller steps to not lose intrest.
And finally you are back at the third most intresting lesson, now here you got three options, you can either continue working on the same part you already started with, or you can switch to a diffrent part and learn an entire new pattern, or(my recomendation) work on both the old and new patterns together, as now is just about the time you'll be able to work on two diffrent alternate picking without feeling it's too long and boring(Talking from personal experience).

So as you can see it's preety much a wash, dry, repeat procedure, just as long as you keep changing what you'r practicing from time to time, and when you feel you need more stuff to work on you should add more exercises(Work towards working on 4 exerices at once to begin with), and it should keep you'r restless spirit entertained. smile.gif

Some lesson suggestions you could borrow patterns from:
1)Muris's Thirds Alternate Picking
2)Pavel's Alternate Picking 4
3)Walliman's Alternate Picking Chops
4)Gaberiel Leopardi's Shred Solo

Also check out RIPdime's wonderful guide at the first post, he provded alot of links to lessons so you go a whole pattern/lick/exercises library just there!

If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me!
~Iluha

This post has been edited by Iluha: May 7 2008, 11:20 AM

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 7 2008, 12:23 PM
Moderation Policy Director
This is great - we already have 2 different takes on AP - I think that is wonderful, now you can pick and choose which approach you like best!

In order to prvent confusion, Jeff will be copying any new lesson plans into the original post so they are all there to easily see, and of course, lets all make comments about new plans as they are posted.

One final word - lets try and keep some detailed explanations in there rather than just listing lessons - we want to hear why your lesson plan is so awesome and what it sets out to achive smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2008, 12:29 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks Iluha and Lithuanian! biggrin.gif An alternate picking and a sweep picking plan was very needed.

A little guideline
- Iluha could you follow the text formatting of Jeff's (Rip Dime) lesson plan? I found yours a little hard to read! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 7 2008, 12:49 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 7 2008, 01:29 PM) *
Thanks Iluha and Lithuanian! biggrin.gif An alternate picking and a sweep picking plan was very needed.

A little guideline
- Iluha could you follow the text formatting of Jeff's (Rip Dime) lesson plan? I found yours a little hard to read! smile.gif

Well it's hard to put mine in that format, because it's more specific and focused, the format is good but only for more general guides, mine is built in a way that you read it completly(like a game guide in a way I guess =p)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 7 2008, 12:52 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Iluha @ May 7 2008, 11:49 AM) *
Well it's hard to put mine in that format, because it's more specific and focused, the format is good but only for more general guides, mine is built in a way that you read it completly(like a game guide in a way I guess =p)

Iluha you don't need to change anything - but to other people who read this. Please keep standrad text size and color - or things get very hard to read. And we want to be able to spend lots of time with your awesome lesson plans! biggrin.gif Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 7 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the support of this thread! biggrin.gif Thanks Lithuanian and Iluha! biggrin.gif
Lithuanian, if you could post up how the lessons helped you and maybe add some comments and descriptions it would help alot more(you can refer to the template). smile.gif
Great well thought out lesson plan Iluha, I know the layout of yours is a little different than mine, but if you can try to match it as best you can to the template it would make the plans more cohesive, and easier to digest. smile.gif

/Jeff

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 7 2008, 01:24 PM
QUOTE (RIP Dime @ May 7 2008, 01:52 PM) *
Thanks everyone for the support of this thread! biggrin.gif Thanks Lithuanian and Iluha! biggrin.gif
Lithuanian, if you could post up how the lessons helped you and maybe add some comments and descriptions it would help alot more(you can refer to the template). smile.gif
Great well thought out lesson plan Iluha, I know the layout of yours is a little different than mine, but if you can try to match it as best you can to the template it would make the plans more cohesive, and easier to digest. smile.gif

/Jeff

I don't know how to change it to make it easier to digest, I think it's a preety simple guide to follow, I provided a lesson plan, than a description on how exactly to use the plan, and in the end I suggested more lessons to continue the practicing.. any suggestions are welcome though!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 7 2008, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Some great tips here guys. Well done smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
coffeeman
May 7 2008, 04:03 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Intermediate Soloing

This lesson plan is design for all the players that want to take their solo playing a bit further. I have chosen this lessons after reading a post from Marcus Lavendell where he says that one of the most important things is to play with your ears, and in these lessons this is absolutely important. More than be a metronome machine you have to fell the backing tracks , and you will know exactly how to play them. This has been one of my biggest problems , timing, but since Im playing more with my ears and less 1,2,3,4 I have improved a lot. This is just me it is not an absolut truth so if you prefer to learn these lesson first with the metronome , go ahead and do it. So no more talking and more music.

Neoclassical three level lesson Intermediate-Marcus Lavendell
This lesson is just awesome, it has a couple of alternate picking runs but it should be no problem if you are in the intermediate level.

B major Intermediate solo-Muris Varajic
This is an awesome solo , hear it and feel it. It may seem very easy but it has a couple of tricky parts. You will find, sweep picking, tapping, and 32nd note runs and 16th triplet runs, so listen very well for those rythm changes.

Three level lesson-Intermediate
This is one of my favourites solos. And yes again Marcus Lavendell Im a big fan, what can I say. I recommend you to learn the Beginner solo because it is the first part of the song. I must say I haven't nail this solo yet , but im on it. You will find a very fast run in this solo, but taking the words of Marcus, do not concentrate on the rythm of this lick, feel the first and the last notes , thos should be in time , the middle notes you can play them as you fell them. And as Marcus himself told me , do not practice that run with the metronome , feel it and practice it with the backing track.

D dorian mode Solo- Gabriel Leopardi
Another beautiful solo. It has a couple of fast runs , but most important a lot of feeling.

And here are some lessons I haven't practice but still have the main point of this lesson plan, it isn't about speed it is about feelling the music and playing with your ears.

Satch Style lydian Lesson-David Wallimann I did learnt this one , is an awesome lesson to feel the lydian mode. 100% recommended

D minor Pentatonic Solo-Jerry Arcidiacono Awesome pentatonic solo from Jerry.

Little Jazz Workshop lesson 3- Ivan Milenkovic Pure music and feeling.

So thats it , enjoy and play with your ears!

Andrés.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 7 2008, 09:48 PM
Instructor
Thanks for recommending my lesson cofeeman smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 8 2008, 04:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 7 2008, 01:29 PM) *
A little guideline - Iluha could you follow the text formatting of Jeff's (Rip Dime) lesson plan? I found yours a little hard to read! smile.gif

I agree no that, standard size may be more readable.

with the above, I trie to help, I'm not saying what you've done is wrong<-- my disclaimer biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: May 8 2008, 04:05 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:50 AM