Cadences, Guest Lesson by DeepRoots
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2008, 04:30 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Cadences

Foreword by Andrew

This is the first in a new breed of theory lesson for this board. Sadly, owing to other GMC commitments, I have been too busy for a while to write any new theory lessons. DeepRoots has very kindly agreed to help out a little with this. This lesson was entirely written by him, and fits neatly into the published lesson plan, and I am proud to add it to my theory board! In future we hope to bring you more collaborative theory lessons and keep the theory rolling in!

So, over to DeepRoots ...

--

Cadences can be seen as 'musical punctuation'.

A cadence is a formula that signifies the end of a musical phrase, like punctuation in written language. For our purposes a cadence may be regarded as a harmonic formula, usually consisting of a pair of chords, that also often has the important function of defining the key of the music.

Cadences give phrases a distinct finish, which can, for example, show the listener whether the piece is to be continued or concluded.

There are four basic kinds of cadence:

Perfect Cadence (or authentic or standard cadence): V - I

Resolution consisting of the chords V - I. The strongest and most used cadence in music makes for the most decisive resolution at the end of any piece. This cadence sounds "finished", it is nearly always used at the end of a piece.

Imperfect Cadence (or half or open cadence): I - V

Resolution involving a movement to the dominant is the next most popular cadence, whether preceded by ii, IV, or I, or any other chord. It leaves the tonality unfinished and prepares the way for another section of music.

Plagal Cadence: IV - I

Resolution consisting of the chords IV - I. Also informally known as the "Amen" cadence as it is used quite often at the end of a hymn for instance. It is somewhat rare compared to other cadences.

Interrupted Cadence: V - vi

Movement from chord V to any chord except the I chord (typically vi, which is the relative minor key chord in major key). Again, an important cadence for giving music a thirst for continuation, it really makes you want to hear resolution!

Cadences in action

So that you can test out these cadences, we'll use the key of C major to illustrate their sound and purpose.

First, strum out a C major chord, this will get your ear thinking in terms of C major before we start looking at the cadences it is involved with.

Perfect cadence: V- I

In the key of C major, this would give us the progression G – C

Pay attention to how this sounds "finished". The C major chord resolves the piece. In a rock context, power chords may be used. It is typical for rock guitarists playing in the key of E minor to end the song with an E5 chord.

Imperfect cadences: I - V, ii - V, IV - V

These imperfect cadences give us the following progressions, respectively.
C – G.

Dm - G

F - G
Attached Image

Though it sounds unfinished and would often lead into another section of music, this is sometimes used to end a song, which can give the listener an unexpected "surprise".

Plagal Cadence: IV - I

Again, in C major, this would give us the progression F – C.

What to say? Sounds very hymn-like to me. Don't feel obliged to use this in a rock context wink.gif

Interrupted Cadence: V – vi

In C major, this would be G – Am

Though it doesn't resolve like the perfect cadence and does leave you expecting resolution, I do like the sound of this cadence for ending a song. It could be a sorrowful way of ending a happy and otherwise up-beat song.

Okay, so now you know a little about cadences. Try to apply some of these cadences to your own playing and also try to listen out and spot different cadences in music that you're listening to. Remember the all important sound of the perfect cadence; recognising its characteristic sound will help you find the key of a song!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 26 2008, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Ahh,it just brought me back to good old days
when I was in Music High School
learning all these cadences,thanks Deep. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Rolls
May 26 2008, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
Cool topic....glad to see some more theory lessons biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 26 2008, 06:40 PM
GMC Founder
Wow Deeproots (and Andrew) this is a very needed topic biggrin.gif - after all this has to be considered basic knowledge for writing chord progressions! Thanks so much - it's great to see that the theory lessons are up and rolling again - Andrew has set high standards and they are matched here, well done both of you! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2008, 07:17 PM
Instructor
Very nice addition to theory lessons! Great job ! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
skennington
May 26 2008, 07:24 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
One again, thanks guys. I have added this to my theory category as a must to learn for chord progression! smile.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 26 2008, 08:47 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks for your kind words, guys.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 31 2008, 08:51 PM
GMC Founder
I have studied this one a little more and I must say I again that I really like it biggrin.gif A cool addition would be to thow in one or two chord progressions and have the cadences noted in roman numbers above the chords - to further examplify.

Thanks again Deeproots and Andrew!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 3 2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Kris, we will see what we can do smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jun 4 2008, 07:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Well done guys. The third example of an imperfect cadence (F-G) has the chords F and C in the musical notation and tab ...
and F to C is a plagal cadence as we now know smile.gif .

Cheers.

This post has been edited by Col Roberts: Jun 4 2008, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 5 2008, 05:47 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 3 2008, 07:45 AM) *
Thanks for the suggestions Kris, we will see what we can do smile.gif

Good to see that you dumped the lame Star Trek avatar, and went with an actual personal photo.

carry on.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 5 2008, 12:42 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 5 2008, 12:47 AM) *
Good to see that you dumped the lame Star Trek avatar, and went with an actual personal photo.

carry on.

Why, thank you mr Kalich!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jun 7 2008, 10:02 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Col Roberts @ Jun 4 2008, 04:43 PM) *
Well done guys. The third example of an imperfect cadence (F-G) has the chords F and C in the musical notation and tab ...
and F to C is a plagal cadence as we now know smile.gif .

Cheers.

Hi Deep Roots and Andrew,
I was just pointing out an error in the third example of an imperfect cadence ...

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 7 2008, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Col Roberts @ Jun 7 2008, 05:02 AM) *
Hi Deep Roots and Andrew,
I was just pointing out an error in the third example of an imperfect cadence ...

Cheers.

Oops, sorry, missed that! I'll correct it at once, thanks!

Edit : Done!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:11 PM