Ascending And Descending Runs- Sextuplets.
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 22 2008, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
For playing really fast runs-

Does it matter when you Alternate Picking if you start with a Upstroke on a Descending Run , or a Downstroke on Descending Run ?

And Does it matter if you start with a Upstroke on a Ascending Run, or a Downstroke ona Ascending Run ?

Just wanted to ask that biggrin.gif

Thanks ~

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 22 2008, 06:42 PM
Instructor
That is totally up to you. I don't think there is a right way and a wrong way. I use both depending on what i am doing but generally i use a downstroke both ways. Go with what works best for your playing style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 22 2008, 06:43 PM
QUOTE (Ian Bushell @ Aug 22 2008, 09:42 AM) *
That is totally up to you. I don't think there is a right way and a wrong way. I use both depending on what i am doing but generally i use a downstroke both ways. Go with what works best for your playing style.

Ok thanks, So if your Alternate Picking, and use a Downstroke on lets say a Ascending Run, wouldnt that mean you will be Outside Picking on the next string ?

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Aug 22 2008, 06:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Aug 22 2008, 07:43 PM) *
Ok thanks, So if your Alternate Picking, and use a Downstroke on lets say a Ascending Run, wouldnt that mean you will be Outside Picking on the next string ?

Yes if it's an odd number of notes on the first string, No if it's an even number of notes.
I've mainly practiced that way so that's what feels comfortable.
You might want to ascend then descend without stopping at some point too, which in some cases would mean you'd be starting
your descend with an upstroke in some cases or vice versa.
Try it both ways Having a good hold on both forms of alternate picking (inside and outside)
can only benefit your playing:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2008, 06:53 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ian Bushell @ Aug 22 2008, 07:51 PM) *
Yes if it's an odd number of notes on the first string, No if it's an even number of notes.
I've mainly practiced that way so that's what feels comfortable.
You might want to ascend then descend without stopping at some point too, which in some cases would mean you'd be starting
your descend with an upstroke in some cases or vice versa.
Try it both ways Having a good hold on both forms of alternate picking (inside and outside)
can only benefit your playing:)

Some excellent advice here - thanks Ian! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 22 2008, 07:50 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen only practised starting down, what can he do? Play blazing fast but every solo's so predictable. Practicing with an upstroke will help you when it comes to accentuating exactly when you want to, playing a wierd number of notes like a 5 note lick playd as 8th notes. It will help you when you improvise. But it's of course not necessary. just beneficial for your playing.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 22 2008, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Aug 22 2008, 08:50 PM) *
Yngwie Malmsteen only practised starting down, what can he do? Play blazing fast but every solo's so predictable. Practicing with an upstroke will help you when it comes to accentuating exactly when you want to, playing a wierd number of notes like a 5 note lick playd as 8th notes. It will help you when you improvise. But it's of course not necessary. just beneficial for your playing.

Agree.
With same picking ideas all the time you actually
start to sound the same cause you play licks
you feel more comfortable with.
Deeper dive into picking variations will bring
more color to your playing note wise as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 23 2008, 03:54 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 22 2008, 12:39 PM) *
Agree.
With same picking ideas all the time you actually
start to sound the same cause you play licks
you feel more comfortable with.
Deeper dive into picking variations will bring
more color to your playing note wise as well. smile.gif

Ahhh.. Ok thanks guys.

So this pretty much explains the Variety in Paul Gilberts Technique, as opposed to the Lack of Variety in most of Yngwie's
Runs, Thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 23 2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor
It is wise to use both upstroke and downstroke exercises equally well. As Muris (nicely) stated, too much of downstroke (or upstroke) can make your runs sound similar tone wise. So it is always best to practice everything with as much picking combinations as possible mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Oxac
Aug 23 2008, 11:14 AM
also it makes it a lot easier to play odd timing, syncopation per example. Starting or ending a lick in syncopation is much easier if you practise the gilbert way instead of the Yngwie way.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:10 PM