> 6 Years Wasted
besip
post Sep 29 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 2.798

there is question
are you got depresion just from guitar???
or from all aspect of your life????

if thats just guitar don't worry thats have everybody biggrin.gif
and if you have depresion from your life...you can try this smile.gif

http://www.lifeevents.org/5-tibetans-energ...n-exercises.htm
BUT FIRST THING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE YOUR NICKNAME!!!!!.....Yours is werry depresive smile.gif
Try something like Guitar Hero or something like that..becouse when you log on and see your nick name OrganisedConfusion you can be bored just from this smile.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Sep 29 2008, 11:35 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Sep 29 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #22

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 12:05 AM) *
I've been 7 times but being miserable it's hard to be forceful by saying no.
Yes, and a good doctor would see that!
I really hope you'll find one who listens. Try browsing forums about depressions in Nottingham UK, people could probably recommend you a doctor in your area who's got a good reputation.

And you're absolutely right in being careful with your job, get the doctors appointment done but care for your work at the same time, you don't want to jeapordise that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
post Sep 29 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5.967

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 08:05 AM) *
I've been 7 times but being miserable it's hard to be forceful by saying no. You just want answers but you can't fight for it. I will try and go again but whether it will help or not. I have been to 3 seperate doctors. It really annoys me and I can't really have time off work to go again as if I do I will probably get fired. I missed 4 weeks of work through depression and stress sad.gif

Mate, I suffered anxiety, panic attacks and depression. It was a psychologist who helped me, not a doctor. See if you can find a psychologist with good recommendations.

The reality is depression and its related conditions can have a biological basis in which case medication would be needed; or it can have a psychological basis, in which case someone helping you to think through issues will make a big difference. Sometimes it's a bit of both. So as I suggest if you find the doctors aren't helping find a good psych.

Depression is very powerful and debilitating. In Australia it results in a lot of men harming themselves, because over here guys are expected to be strong, weather every storm and get over things. But this is a stupid perception in our society because depression is real and needs to be addressed. It's very important to get outside help when you have depression because it makes you think differently and you will tell yourself things that aren't true, and you will believe those lies you tell yourself, which in turn reinforces your feelings of depression. It's a bad cycle.

Org, you are not alone in this. Have a look around your area and see if there is a support group.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Sep 29 2008, 11:42 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 3.401

QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 29 2008, 11:35 PM) *
Yes, and a good doctor would see that!
I really hope you'll find one who listens. Try browsing forums about depressions in Nottingham UK, people could probably recommend you a doctor in your area who's got a good reputation.

And you're absolutely right in being careful with your job, get the doctors appointment done but care for your work at the same time, you don't want to jeapordise that.

I think depression goes hand in hand with Nottingham UK lol. If I searched for that it would bring up far too many results. I'm going to get an appointment for Friday afternoon as if I work the hours leading up to Friday I can finish early on a Friday. If they still say nothing is up and I'm just being silly I will try and find somebody who can help me. smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Sep 29 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #25

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

OC, im sorry you’re having a crappy time at the moment. I wonder do you eat healthy and exercise? And do you drink plenty of fresh water ? I quit drink, smoking and crappy foods when I was down and out (about 8 years ago when i was 19) and it made a massive impact on the way I felt about my life.

Why not put the guitar aside just for a few days or even 1 week. Address your daily life style habits, look at cutting out the booze (if you drink) and replace it with lots of fresh water and good food as this can naturally lift spirits fast in my experience. keeping well hydrated can really life mood! Go out an buy yourself bottles of mineral water, and fresh fruit smoothies as these are great for you.

Next I think you need to learn how to think good about yourself again, and start to learn new life skills. I learnt how to turn the negative into positive when I had allot of problems, and with some help you could too. If you can afford to pay for Cognitive therapy they can teach you how to start thinking positive about your life again. If not ask your doctor for counseling as my girlfriend sees a councilor and it really helps her sort things out.

Dont quit guitar, play it for fun but dont make it your central life focus. Try to find lots of little things you enjoy doing and fill your life with them. When your more content in life your guitar playing will be allot easier and alot more fun for sure. I struggled through life for quite a while so understand where your comeing from my friend. You need to start making small changes today, and if you need any help just send me a PM and I will try to help smile.gif

kind regards,
matt smile.gif

--------------------

mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
post Sep 29 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #26

Instructor

Group: Passive
Member No.: 3.084

i think your musical age not 6 years exactly we count your musical age when you start to practice in a right way
just i want to ask if you learned something right here or not. also i see you dont need a doctor or others cause these things normaly happened to every one .so dont worry about your self and try to change your life style
and i am sure you will be happy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Sep 29 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #27

I don't eat healthy at all but I do get lots of exercise every day.. I walk between 8 and 12 miles a day. I drink no water in a day sad.gif I just drink Fresh Orange Juice or Dr Pepper. I do have 2 proper cooked meals a week though that I make as I enjoy cooking. Unfortunately I drink a lot but weirdly it is when I'm at my most happy but I guess that is incredibly bad? I don't smoke or do drugs though. I really do try and be happy but the more I try the more I see it failing and the more miserable it makes me. Normally I just hide from the real world. I go to work and come home and go on my pc till sleep and work again. It's a bit of a boring cycle. Plus I support Middlesbrough lol which is depressing in itself.

I might PM you to say a few things but I need to calm down a bit and relax for a while smile.gif

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 29 2008, 11:44 PM) *
OC, im sorry you’re having a crappy time at the moment. I wonder do you eat healthy and exercise? And do you drink plenty of fresh water ? I quit drink, smoking and crappy foods when I was down and out (about 8 years ago when i was 19) and it made a massive impact on the way I felt about my life.

Why not put the guitar aside just for a few days or even 1 week. Address your daily life style habits, look at cutting out the booze (if you drink) and replace it with lots of fresh water and good food as this can naturally lift spirits fast in my experience. keeping well hydrated can really life mood! Go out an buy yourself bottles of mineral water, and fresh fruit smoothies as these are great for you.

Next I think you need to learn how to think good about yourself again, and start to learn new life skills. I learnt how to turn the negative into positive when I had allot of problems, and with some help you could too. If you can afford to pay for Cognitive therapy they can teach you how to start thinking positive about your life again. If not ask your doctor for counseling as my girlfriend sees a councilor and it really helps her sort things out.

Dont quit guitar, play it for fun but dont make it your central life focus. Try to find lots of little things you enjoy doing and fill your life with them. When your more content in life your guitar playing will be allot easier and alot more fun for sure. I struggled through life for quite a while so understand where your comeing from my friend. You need to start making small changes today, and if you need any help just send me a PM and I will try to help smile.gif

kind regards,
matt smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OzRob
post Sep 29 2008, 11:51 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 5.967

Hey Org,

Matt mentioned cognitive behaviour therapy - that's what I was thinking of but just didn't get that specific.

While you're waiting around to see someone here is a good place to start:

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

It's a tool that helps you learn to see how the things you tell yourself and the way you think affects your feelings and actions. It's run by the Australian National University and is of first-rate quality.

No matter what you think of psychology, give this link a go. You have nothing to lose except some time. And you have a lot to gain if it helps you discover some insights into your thinking.

Rob.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
post Sep 29 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #29

Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader

Member No.: 1.062

QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Sep 30 2008, 12:42 AM) *
I'm going to get an appointment for Friday afternoon
Just to say - Thank you for letting us support you! I read some excellent suggestions from people in this thread smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
post Sep 29 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #30

Lets go fishing!
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 1.001

Well cutting out the drink totally may be a really positive step for you smile.gif Some people can handle drink fine, I myself just cant drink at all as it makes me feel ill. The thing is though, if you are having emotional problems cutting out drink totally may be the best thing. Of course it is very much up to you, but I found it made a huge difference to my mood smile.gif And its a REALLY big confidence booster if you can say, "I dont need drink" even if you just drink when your happy smile.gif Its a REAL confidence booster. Oh and please just try drinking a big bottle of water daily smile.gif

In the long term though I think you would see positive results from working with a councilor or therapist to build positive habits in your life. This can really make a difference for you and at least think about it smile.gif

Im totally sure your guitar playing will get on track !! and I wish you the best of luck smile.gif

--------------------

mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
post Sep 30 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #31

Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star

Member No.: 4.521

Sounds to me like you are on the verge of one of those "breakthroughs" they speak about in the cycle of learning! Keep at it!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
post Sep 30 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 1.545

I agree with the cognitive behaviour therapy, I think there even are books on the subject to start with if you don't want to spend huge amounts of money on a therapist.

And about eating, etc: I think you *need* to start drinking water. There is no substitute for it, not even juice or something like that. And on the stopping drinking thing matt is talking about, he might be absolutely right, but I don't see why it's a good idea to do it if it's something you just do when you're happy, but that's just coming from an unwise 19-year old so matt might have more experience in changing habits etc, I'm just saying what I'm thinking.

Just try to hang in there, the whole moving the Japan thing sounds like an awesome idea, and I'm hoping you'll get better.

(And on a side note to make you feel better about your guitar playing, be glad if you don't have artrosis or some disease like that in your family that guarantees you won't be able to play guitar properly when that kicks in sometimes after 40. Believe me, that is not very fun to know.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
post Sep 30 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1.243

Heyy OC,

*Slaps you in face*

Your not useless! We all treat you as family here at Gmc, because thats what we are, a family !

I to have been depressed for awhile ! I know it may seem like your not good at anything and that your life is a complete wreck but its not. You just need to find someone or something that can truly make you a happy person !

My way of doing that was writing ! If you dont believe me look on the Lyrics board for yourself ! smile.gif

Sure you can Whine and Pout all you want, but why dont you use your anger and depression to your advantage and start writing some really emotional music!

Hope I helped a little, Hope things get better buddy! Take care- John

And if you were such a terrible person- Than why would you have this many people reading your topic ? Holy Crap ! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Sep 30 2008, 12:40 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
post Sep 30 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #34

I seem to write worse music when I'm in this state. My lyrics and riff writing has gone completely downhill. Tomorrow I will post some old lyrics of mine and some new ones and you'll admit I hope that they have gone downhill. I will post 2 sets of lyrics and you can say which ones you think came first. I seem to be heading backwards.

I say to people on here about things as I respect everybody on here greatly and I'm happy to be apart of this place. Most forums would just tell me to kill myself and get it over with but I'm not stupid enough or weak enough to think killing yourself is getting rid of your problems. It may end your problems but it is selfish and brings problems for 10 other people or more in dealing with it.

I thought taking 4 weeks off work after I had stress and depression would help but I've sunk right back into it after being back at work for two weeks. I also feel I need to be around people all the time which doesn't help.

I appreciate the amount of people that are willing to help me on here. I will certainly let people know how things go in the near future for me. I'm learning to drive and moving to Japan smile.gif

QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 30 2008, 12:39 AM) *
Heyy OC,

*Slaps you in face*

Your not useless! We all treat you as family here at Gmc, because thats what we are, a family !

I to have been depressed for awhile ! I know it may seem like your not good at anything and that your life is a complete wreck but its not. You just need to find someone or something that can truly make you a happy person !

My way of doing that was writing ! If you dont believe me look on the Lyrics board for yourself ! smile.gif

Sure you can Whine and Pout all you want, but why dont you use your anger and depression to your advantage and start writing some really emotional music!

Hope I helped a little, Hope things get better buddy! Take care- John

And if you were such a terrible person- Than why would you have this many people reading your topic ? Holy Crap ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
whammysam
post Sep 30 2008, 01:15 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 3.832

I totally agree with mattacuk. Mostly, about lifestyle and how it affects us.. Often without us immediately knowing.(and perhaps not for sometime after) Such as Booze, cigarettes, junkfood and lack of exercise.. All a tonic for depression and a gross lack of focus in general. Its a slumber so easy to fall into.. I know, I need to take a leaf from this book myself. As for guitar progress.. Though as previously mentioned to OC. For him, it's probably more a symptom than a cause. But I often find myself getting frustrated at my seemingly lack of progression. I think that it's only in the first couple or so years for most of us, that we actually progress at a speed that we can consciously realise. After that, we don't so much feel the benefit for our hard work.. But in reality, we are probably getting better all the time. These forum's are the best.. So very friendly.. You can just come on and chat without worry. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
post Sep 30 2008, 01:38 AM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 5.593

Hay man, try to relax, and try to focus on the good aspects of your life. When it comes to guitar, simply stop worrying like you are worrying right now, take a few days off, maybe weeks or a month.

I am sure your guitar playing is not as bad as you say, you are just unmotivated and everything seems bad. GMC is here for you man, not only for guitar playing, look at all the replies you've had already.

Best of luck

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Enucleation
post Sep 30 2008, 02:59 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4.546

I hope you get better OC, really I do Maybe thi next doctor will know what is up and if not maybe the next one will

Just hang in there and dont worry so much about guitar, I feel ya there, I remember listening to ongs of guys on GMC here and thinking "Why can't I write like this!?" And still do, point is we all feel down sometimes

But I don't know what else to say without sounding like a preacher and I'm sure you have heard it all before and will decide for yourself.

Best regards and prayers to you, man

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
post Sep 30 2008, 07:20 AM
Post #38

Singing Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 3.960

Wow OC,you are just coming up trough a rough time.Good thing is to make some change in you life.Start something new,start running,fishing,amy thing that could make you interested again in life.Than I am shore that your guitar playing will improve,and the whole aspect on looking on life will be more positive.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
post Sep 30 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #39

Learning Tone Guru

Member No.: 5.185

I don't have to much "ways" of dealing with something depression like. Some people have depression every few years, and they can't help it, but depression can't last longer than something like 6 months...

When I was in similar state, my girlfriend was a big help for me, and I had a notebook in which I wrote, that I don't sucks. Staying in front of the mirror and doing silly faces showing how "yeahhh coooll" You are, sometimes helps also:P

Oh and eat grapes, they are often a part of a "anti depression diet".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rooks
post Sep 30 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 5.376

Hey man, it's ok too feel like that sometimes. But down let it get you down.

Sometimes you just get ahead of yourself and have too high expectations, or skip the boring basics and try to accelerate the process..

Well.. When I feel like that, I try to force myself to think how much I have achieved since a certain time back. Maybe you want to practice really hard basics like alternate or some scales and then take a break for a few days and go a bit back..

Choose a piece that's really easier than your present level and master it. Even though your more advanced maybe, it always feels good to play some thing good.. even though it's technically easy stuff...

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 02:30 PM