One Of The Million(i'm Sure) Questions About Modes.
Roythebattousai
Nov 19 2008, 05:28 AM
GMC:er
Hey, David.

I've been loosely studying modes for the past few months. I really only payed attention to the method where you just take the major scale and then play it starting from a different note, and that gives you a mode.

I was satisfied with that for a while. Then just tonight, I worked on actually memorizing the 3 note per string patterns of the modes. 'Twas easy enough. Took about an hour.

My question now is: Where do I go next?

Regards,

-Scott

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
♫♫♫ Gotta love music. ♫♫♫
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 21 2008, 12:13 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Roythebattousai @ Nov 19 2008, 05:28 AM) *
Hey, David.

I've been loosely studying modes for the past few months. I really only payed attention to the method where you just take the major scale and then play it starting from a different note, and that gives you a mode.

I was satisfied with that for a while. Then just tonight, I worked on actually memorizing the 3 note per string patterns of the modes. 'Twas easy enough. Took about an hour.

My question now is: Where do I go next?

Regards,

-Scott

Sorry for butting in David, but I miss thoeory questions so much, I just have to biggrin.gif

In my opinion you should learn the chord relationships with each mode, as they will help you to understand how to obtain each unique sound.

Also it's very important so understand the modal chord progression, it really makes you understand waht you're doing instead of just noodling around with what people tell you to do.

Hope this helps!

Sorry again David biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 21 2008, 12:17 AM
Instructor
Sorry to interfere David mate, just wanna recommend my Modes Workshop as there are 3 note patterns there.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 21 2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Sorry for the delay.
Thanks for suggesting your workshop Ivan, it is a great one and will help for sure.

Scott, I think kjutte has a great suggestion as well. Make sure you know which chord will work over each mode.
First, bring all the modes to a common root, That will help you visually in hat comes next..
Take each mode and build 4 note chords over each one of then taking the root, 3rd, 5th and 7th.
Then classify each mods into the chord category they fit in.
You should have 4 categories:

Maj7
(root, Maj3rd, 5th, Maj7th)

min 7th
(Root, min3rd, 5th, min7th)

(Root, Maj3rd, 5th, min7th)

Min7 b5
(Root, min3rd, b5th, min7th)

Once you have your modes classified into categories, compare the within each categories and see which note differentiates them from one another.

For example, in the Maj7th category, you should have 2 modes:
Ionian and Lydian.
That means that the Ionian and Lydian scale have the same type of root, 3rd, 5th and 7th (that's how we determined that they were both part of the same category)...
Find the note that characterize them from one another.
In this case it will be a natural 4th for Ionian and augmented 4th for Lydian.

Doing that for every mode will help you focus on these characteristic notes while improvising. It will also help you in finding which scale to play over a complex chord progression.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:52 PM