Minor Key Help
Ignite
Mar 20 2009, 05:37 AM
GMC:er
Im having trouble understanding minor keys. So from what i understand, the 6th degree in a major key is the relatve minor of that key. So like A is the relative minor of the key of C. So the key of A goes like A B C D E F G, but when do you know a song is in a minor key or a major key?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Mar 20 2009, 08:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ignite @ Mar 20 2009, 05:37 AM) *
Im having trouble understanding minor keys. So from what i understand, the 6th degree in a major key is the relatve minor of that key. So like A is the relative minor of the key of C. So the key of A goes like A B C D E F G, but when do you know a song is in a minor key or a major key?

You're right about relative keys but to be more precise I list the different scales here:

C major scale is C D E F G A B C, ok pretty easy smile.gif
A natural minor scale is A B C D E F G A.
A major scale is A B C# D E F# G# A - look that intervals here are the same of the C major scale.

Anyway, to understand if a song is in a minor or major key you should hear and find if there is a final-sounding chord.
Most of the time you hear this chord at the beginning and at the end of the song but it's not a strict rule.

Take a look at Andrew's theory lessons.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Mar 20 2009, 09:16 AM
Instructor
You have to listen carefully, the minor keys are very very different from the majors regarding the mood. But that "mood" comes by the hand with the harmony. So, in major you have the primal functions I, IV and V that are all major chords (in the case of C major would be: C, F, G). But in a minor key the I, IV, V would be all minor chords (in A minor: Am, Dm, Em). You have an exception when you're playing in melodic minor scale but that's other thing that I don't want to bring it into here now.

You can try to play those progressions and try to find songs that you know that are in major and in minor and listen carefully the differences.

I hope this helps biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 20 2009, 10:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ignite @ Mar 20 2009, 05:37 AM) *

You are right. In essence, you put the root note of the scale you are using to form song harmony in the beginning of the piece. This will give you the beginning key note - tonic - which will gravitate the harmony of the piece. Later on you can change keys, modulate, but the first harmony or set of chords usually determine the key name for the beginning of the piece.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:31 PM