Sustain On My Ibanez Sv
thijsmans
May 24 2009, 05:05 PM
GMC:er
hi guys,

im having some sustain isseus here,

i have a Ibanez SV, and on the higher notes the sound just dies very soon,

any suggestions?

ive heard something like it was about the pickups?

thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
May 24 2009, 05:19 PM
there are a few things here:

A) Uneven fret
cool.gif Pick ups are too close to the string
C) your strings are dead
D) your truss rod is not straight

now answer me this...when you say it dies, how many seconds does it hold till it dies?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 24 2009, 05:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well it could be a few things.

Pickup hight (to low or high). String action could be to low maybe and the note is getting fretted out.

A sound sample would help me give better advise.

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: May 24 2009, 05:22 PM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
sted
May 24 2009, 06:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
A tech will be able to tell you mate and give you a quote to fix it should any work be required, what amp are you playing through?

+Quote Post
thijsmans
May 24 2009, 06:48 PM
well,

im playing through a marshall MG 30dfx, via a pod x3 live,

how far my strings are from my elements, that length is less then a nail tongue.gif

here is a sound sample, i have just jayd a mic before my amp....

1th strike: 12th fret, G string
2th strike: 15th fret G string
3th strike: 19th fret, G string
4th strike: 12th fret B string
5th strike: 15th fret B string
6th strike: 19th fret B string
7th strike: 12th fret upper E string
8th strike: 15th fret E string
9th strike: 19th fret E string
10th strike: 3th fret A string

Attached File(s)
Attached File  sound_sample.wav ( 10.09MB ) Number of downloads: 201

+Quote Post
jafomatic
May 24 2009, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (thijsmans @ May 24 2009, 12:48 PM) *
im playing through a marshall MG 30dfx, via a pod x3 live,

Do you have a noise gate in your pod's current patch? If so, is it set perhaps a little too high?

edit: Just gave it a listen and that really sounds like the magnetic elements in your pickups are influencing the vibration of your strings. I'd still check to make sure you didn't enable an overly-zealous noise gate effect as well, just in case.

This post has been edited by jafomatic: May 24 2009, 07:18 PM

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
thijsmans
May 24 2009, 07:53 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ May 24 2009, 08:11 PM) *
Do you have a noise gate in your pod's current patch? If so, is it set perhaps a little too high?

edit: Just gave it a listen and that really sounds like the magnetic elements in your pickups are influencing the vibration of your strings. I'd still check to make sure you didn't enable an overly-zealous noise gate effect as well, just in case.

no, no noise gate... but the mic was not picking every decibel up...
so, how can i prevent my elements from influecing my vibrations?

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
May 24 2009, 08:27 PM
well. about pickups, most strings are magnetic, and becuase pickups are fairly strong magnets for their size, if the pickup is too close to the string it will pull the string towards it, killing sustain. If you really think this is a problem, you move the pickup down (with either the screws that humbuckers have on the individual holes, or you can use the screws on your pickup rings.)
I have had a sustain problem, and I think one of the best ways to solve it is actually the strings you are using. If you are using very light guage strings, then the high notes will not be as powerful. Ibanez guitars come with really thin strings (probably 9's), so you might want to buy thicker strings next time. However, this makes them harder to bend.

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:04 PM