Mrblomme Mtp Thread - October
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 6 2009, 04:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Weekly assignment 1:

Arpeggio shapes on bass!

Lessons to practice:

Arpeggios Lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...peggios-lesson/

Goal : To learn 4 most common arpeggios shapes on bass which will help you in improvisation over common chord changes.

Purpose : Learn which notes you can use when improvising over common chord types. Practice your playing technique along with the shapes.

Instructions :

I want you to learn all 4 arpeggios shapes included in the lesson : major 7, minor 7, dominant 7 and minor7b5 . For each shape there is a ascending and descending version included. I want you to both learn the shapes/patterns but also to think in intervals and to notice which ones you are using in which shape.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. You want to work on memorizing these shapes and interval formulas. When practicing arpeggios, play with a metronome or backing tracks from the lesson. This will be a great technique exercise. Try to incorporate all the rules you learned in "Technique exercises" you did in first assignments (remember to alternate when playing). I want you to post audio or video of you playing these arpeggios : G major 7 , G minor 7 , G dominant 7 and G minor7b5 against a metronome backing or drum backing track at tempo 80 bpm (play straight 8th notes).Play the ascending version of arpeggios. I can upload a drum backing track for you if you want.

Deadline to complete: 11th of October

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 6 2009, 04:50 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 9 2009, 04:29 PM
How is it going for you? Do you need the drum backing or you will use a metronome from Reaper?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Oct 9 2009, 05:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I would prefer the backingtrack but I'm again not on schedule. sad.gif
To much work for school etc pfff

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 11 2009, 01:38 AM
It won't take you long to learn this lessons material and record your take especially since you need to play only ascending versions of arpeggios. So its 4 short takes in total.

Here is the drum backing to use , its 80bpm play it in 8th notes:

Attached File  drum_backing_80bpm.mp3 ( 947.75K ) Number of downloads: 229

Looking forward to your takes! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 12 2009, 10:51 PM
Weekly assignment 2:

Improvisation - roots, 3rds and 5ths (triads improvisation!)

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/walking-bass-concept-4/

Goal : To learn the concept of improvising a walking bass line using roots 3rd and 5ths (triads) as a note choice in a 4 feel type of line.

Purpose : Develop new improvisation skills and vocabulary.Enable you to improvise on a spot walking bass line to any chord progression.

Instructions :

First check out the lesson and learn it by heart. Make sure you understand the concept behind this kind of improvisation. You want to use only roots 3rds and 5ths as your note choice. Make sure you follow the chord progression so that you connect what is being played with the chords in backing - that is very important. Walking bass line will be 4 feel - that means 4 quarter notes per bar. Try to get in that kind of groove and keep time well. Once you learn the lesson, start practicing your OWN improvisation over the same backing track. I want you to spend at least 2 hours during the week just practicing your own improvising over the backing. When improvising I want you to play the backing and look at the printed chord staff (progression on paper) and by following chords - choose appropriate roots 3rds and 5ths for improvisation.

Additional info: Roots 3rds and 5ths are building blocks of triads - 3 note chords. In the previous lesson you have learned 7th arpeggios shapes which include : root - 3rd - 5th - 7th . For this assignment I want you to use only appropriate root - 3rd - 5th for improvisation. When I say appropriate I mean to match the chords in backing and use appropriate triads. So if its a major chord you will play : root - major 3rd - perfect 5th , if its a minor chord you are playing: root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. I want you to record in video (or audio only if you can't make it) your OWN roots 3rds and 5ths improvisation over the same backing. I will attach the backing track and chords progression in a day or two, which you will be using to record your own improvisation during the weekend!

Deadline to complete: 18th of October

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 12 2009, 10:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Oct 13 2009, 11:26 AM
So for last weeks task I only have to play the ascending parts? So when the backingtrack moves to the descending I play nothing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 13 2009, 12:07 PM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Oct 13 2009, 12:26 PM) *
So for last weeks task I only have to play the ascending parts? So when the backingtrack moves to the descending I play nothing?

Check out the Purple's mtp take. He did play the descending pattern too but I didn't make that as required but you can see what you need to do there. Actually drums are there just to keep time.
You can make pauses once you play one arpeggio. Then go for second etc.Point of assigment is you to show that you learned arpeggios and that you can play them in time with the metronome (drum backing).

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 13 2009, 12:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 15 2009, 07:49 PM
Hello,

hope you are doing great!

Here is the backing track for the weekly assigment 2 improvisation:

Attached File  120.mp3 ( 688.29K ) Number of downloads: 195

Tempo is 120 bpm.

Progression is: Bm - A - D - E - F#m - Bm - C#m - G#dim - A - Bm

Each chord is played for 2 bars.

I want you to improvise a 4 feel line over it using triads.

Triad is a three note chord stacked in 3rds.

For minor chords use minor triad: root - minor 3rd - perfect 5th
For major chords use major triad: root - major 3rd - perfect 5th
For diminished chord use diminished triad: root - minor 3rd - diminished 5th

Tell me if you have any questions about the assignment! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 15 2009, 07:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Oct 19 2009, 10:53 AM
Allright I have a day off! Will try to catch up a bit! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 19 2009, 12:33 PM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Oct 19 2009, 11:53 AM) *
Allright I have a day off! Will try to catch up a bit! smile.gif

Excellent man! smile.gif Tell me if you need any help with the assignment.
Generally you need to learn 4 arpeggios shapes and then apply them in walking bass line (use them as possible note choice). Same thing you did last time with roots and 5ths but now you can use the 3rds too! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 20 2009, 01:00 AM
Weekly assignment 3:

Groove - Country Style

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/country-style/

Goal : To learn the whole lesson and get the understanding of Country bass type of groove.

Purpose : To practice your time keeping skills. Learn how you can build a country bass line using only roots and 5ths as your note choice and make the groove interesting using basic rhythms.

Instructions :

Check out the lesson and learn it by heart. You should pay attention to timing and groove which is our main focus here. You are going to use only roots and 5ths as your note choice. You should focus on getting this lesson tight in time which is very important. You want to play exactly on beat (or "slightly" behind the beat) to get in the pocket. Don't rush it and play in front of the beat which is bad.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. I want you to record in video (or audio only if you can't make it) performance of the lesson. I will attach in a day or two the backing track to use for recording.

Deadline to complete: 25th of October

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 20 2009, 01:00 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2009, 01:12 AM
Do you have any problems with assignments? Maybe I can help somehow...Also feel free to submit takes which are the best at the time, I'm not seeking perfection. Idea is to learn something new and interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Oct 21 2009, 12:26 PM
Problem is, I couldnt even hear what I've recorded because I have no boxes over here tongue.gif so it could be a VERY bad take. tongue.gif

arpeggio btw wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: Oct 21 2009, 12:26 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  untitled.mp3 ( 700.94K ) Number of downloads: 199

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2009, 12:48 PM
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Oct 21 2009, 01:26 PM) *
Problem is, I couldnt even hear what I've recorded because I have no boxes over here tongue.gif so it could be a VERY bad take. tongue.gif

arpeggio btw wink.gif

Ok sounds like you memorized the shapes. Try to work more on them during the week in order not to forget them and to develop technique for execution.

You should focus now on the next assignment which was a 4 feel walking bass line (4 notes per bar) using only arpeggios (triads to be more exact) so just deduct the 7th from these shapes (the note before the root - one octave higher). root - 3rd - 5th those are your possible note choices. Of course for major chords its major 3rd for minor its minor 3rd.
Let me know if you need any help with the assignment or possibly a slower backing track.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 26 2009, 07:53 PM
Weekly assignment 4:

Technique and timing workout

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-3/

Goal : To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.

Instructions :

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record all 6 patterns played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO.

Deadline to complete: 1st of November

p.s. you have got some experience with these exercises but I want you to focus more on the technique. Pay attention to all the details described in rules of the practice + try to have transitions between two notes as smooth as possible (avoid staccato sounding practice). This weeks set of exercises starts on ring finger so they may be a little more difficult then others (ring finger is our weakest finger).

p.p.s. For the required video , let me know which BPM backing do you need for recording - you don't have to master 120bpm , you can do 60 or any other tempo which you end up on after weeks practice.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Oct 26 2009, 07:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 4 2009, 12:25 AM
Its been great working with you and I'm sorry you had to drop out.
You have done some good work last month and made some progress in improvisation.

Unfortunately this month you didn't managed to complete all 4 assignments, only the FIRST one.

I would suggest that you practice other assignments you didn't finish anyway - once you get back on bass practice schedule.

I'm here for all the questions , cheers!

EDIT: If you want you can continue to finish all the remaining mtp assignments in this thread and I'll continue mentoring you as usual on them.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 5 2009, 11:42 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:34 AM