Beginner - Lost, I dont know where to start
hex
Apr 11 2007, 04:05 AM
GMC:er
My name is Daniel Roberts and i'm 20 years old. Newly wed and my wife is a piano player. I get jealous of her talent and I want to suprise her by learning electric guitar. I have no idea where to start. I've sang in jazz choirs, but I forgot everything about reading music. So I have no idea where I would start.

Please someone let me know what video or lesson I should use to learn even the basics. I dont want my guitar to sit here and get dusty because I couldn't find anyplace to start sad.gif

Thanks for all your help and in a few months I hope to suprise my wife on our anniversary by playing a couple songs.

Hope to hear from you

-hex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 11 2007, 04:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (hex @ Apr 11 2007, 12:05 AM) *
My name is Daniel Roberts and i'm 20 years old. Newly wed and my wife is a piano player. I get jealous of her talent and I want to suprise her by learning electric guitar. I have no idea where to start. I've sang in jazz choirs, but I forgot everything about reading music. So I have no idea where I would start.

Please someone let me know what video or lesson I should use to learn even the basics. I dont want my guitar to sit here and get dusty because I couldn't find anyplace to start sad.gif

Thanks for all your help and in a few months I hope to suprise my wife on our anniversary by playing a couple songs.

Hope to hear from you
-hex

Hi Daniel! You can try with the beginners section's lesson. You have great exercises there!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...eo-lessons1.htm

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
hex
Apr 11 2007, 04:50 AM
Yah I was watching what he was doing in the videos and that looks light years ahead of me. I even listend to the backing and was trying to read the 'tabs' but I have no idea how to even read the tabs .

sad.gif

Which one of those beginning lessons would be best to try and make it through first for someone in my situation ?

thank you for your help by the way

-hex

+Quote Post
Iggy
Apr 11 2007, 12:41 PM
Hello Daniel.

You can find explanation on reading tabs here:

http://guitar.about.com/library/blhowtoreadtab.htm

Maybe it's best to try to learn the chords for the start.
But You should ask some of the theachers here on forum. They probably knows better than me how you can start with your learning.

Welcome on the site.
Iggy.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 11 2007, 12:59 PM
GMC Founder
Welcome hex! smile.gif

For a complete begginner I would say the power chord lesson is a good place to start!

Krisotofer

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 11 2007, 02:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
Yeah I would work slowly through all the beginners exercises! You will pick up all the right habits from kris, and give yourself a solid foundation. You really cant go wrong! cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 11 2007, 03:23 PM
Even if the beginner lessons seems hard you should start practice them very slowly. Its like that with everything, when I starting sweeping it sounded like, uhm, yeah, crap. and I played it really slow aswell. But now I do it much smoother and much faster. Even if something seems totally impossible to start with you just need to practice it reaaaally slow and after a while it gets easier.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 11 2007, 10:44 PM
I think i was a bit more than a beginner when I first came here but I started with tapping.
Try that if u want. It's cool (great lesson from Kris) and easy! It's flashy too...or to most people who don't play guitar. They sometimes think ur amazing. You can use it for a little evil conspiracy. ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by beebo: Apr 11 2007, 10:45 PM

+Quote Post
kahall
Apr 12 2007, 03:42 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (hex @ Apr 10 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Hope to hear from you
-hex

Good advice given above for sure but if you are hoping to suprise the wife in just a few months you may want to go to one of the other tabs only sites and find something easy. Say some CCR for example.
I have been here for a month, just starting out really and I have been doing the beginner lessons over and over and I might be able to actually play something a little difficult in about a year. I should have choosen the nick name Webfingers when I signed up here.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 12 2007, 04:47 AM
Learn "smoke on the water" by: Deep Purple tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Ryan: Apr 12 2007, 04:48 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
jete124
Apr 12 2007, 04:49 AM
An exercise i found extremely helpful when i first started playing was to play on the low E string (the biggest one) 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and repeat. I just alternate picked that constantly and it really helped get my technique down. Also, don't be hesitant to get live lessons with a teacher, they will be able to correct your flaws much faster.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 12 2007, 04:28 PM
QUOTE (jete124 @ Apr 12 2007, 03:49 AM) *
An exercise i found extremely helpful when i first started playing was to play on the low E string (the biggest one) 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and repeat. I just alternate picked that constantly and it really helped get my technique down. Also, don't be hesitant to get live lessons with a teacher, they will be able to correct your flaws much faster.

Pavel has a similar exercise in the beginning of his Alternate Picking series. 'Small finger movements and pick like hell' biggrin.gif It's been good for reminding me that I need to get control over my left hand so the fingers don't make so big a motion.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Apr 12 2007, 04:39 PM
QUOTE (hex @ Apr 11 2007, 03:05 AM) *
Hope to hear from you
-hex

Didn't think to mention this before, but I'll post it now anyway. There's some great advice just in the Intro section here that doesn't always repeat. There's some fantastic advice for a newbie in my Intro posting in January here.

I've been trying to keep in mind that I'm supposed to suck at this for a while until I put the practice time in to get the basics down. I'm still working on getting past the "everything I do on guitar sucks" stage and it's good to remember that it's normal. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 PM