3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Osama Bin Laden Dead`, All over the news. 10 years to get this guy
Todd Simpson
May 2 2011, 05:19 AM
GMC:er
Took quite a long time. Pakistanies acting a bit shocked that he was on their turf.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 2 2011, 05:39 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 2 2011, 05:33 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
shocked..they have been hiding him for years imo..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 2 2011, 05:44 AM
Big celebration in front of the White House right now.http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/05/01...ngton.crowd.cnn

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 1 2011, 11:19 PM) *
Took quite a long time. Pakistanies acting a bit shocked that he was on their turf.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 2 2011, 07:28 AM
Why celebrate the death of someone... no matter how evil... no good will come from this...

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
May 2 2011, 09:11 AM
GMC Administrator
I guess the phrase is correct: "Search and you shall find"

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
May 2 2011, 09:15 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I agree with Azza here...the future will show what good this will bring, or if it will raise even more bad things. I never believed in an "eye for an eye" policy.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
May 2 2011, 09:18 AM
Instructor
Very big news. Gonna watchin' the video.

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Frederik
May 2 2011, 10:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
dry.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 2 2011, 11:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 2 2011, 07:28 AM) *
Why celebrate the death of someone... no matter how evil... no good will come from this...

I agree. It is news for sure and he did have it coming due to the life he chose but as long as people understand that his death doesn't change a thing.. he's just a tiny drop in the ocean compared to what terrorism is.

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
May 2 2011, 11:17 AM
GMC Administrator
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 2 2011, 10:10 AM) *
I agree. It is news for sure and he did have it coming due to the life he chose but as long as people understand that his death doesn't change a thing.. he's just a tiny drop in the ocean compared to what terrorism is.

*likes*

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 2 2011, 06:30 PM
Learning Roadie
It is sad because of where he is right now, but good because justice has been done. It's bitter-sweet. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 2 2011, 11:10 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I feel no remorse for the man. I am not one who believes that only 'god can decide who lives and dies'. Personally if someone commits mass murders I see no ill-judgment if man takes it upon himself to save future victims by ending a murderers life. That being said, a death in this manner solves very little other than closing a chapter that's long been open. It's closure for many people, which is good for the people he has hurt, but from a world point of view, its immediate effects are fragmentary at best and only time will tell if this event bears any true significance in history.

There are others like him, probably worse. If man doesn't find a way to coexist between religions situations like this will never solves anything long term, my opinion at least. All we can hope for is that somehow this is a step in a better direction, maybe not the best, but at least better.

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 2 2011, 02:28 AM) *

People who were directly and indirectly harmed by this man's actions now have a sense of closure for the loved ones they have lost, or any personal suffering they might have endure by this man one way or another. It's not so much celebrating his death as it celebrating an end to a terrible section of their lives. That's what I think anyway.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 3 2011, 03:07 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Uncreator - love your balanced post above and agree with what you say.

It's never good to end a human life, but it is sometimes necessary to prevent greater loss of human life.

This is maybe a punctuation in the struggle between ideologies, but it is sadly not the end.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2011, 05:13 AM
It could bring some very bad things. Reprisal, martyr attacks, etc. Could be the start of a string of very bad things. But perhaps just being a U.S. citizen, it's hard not to celebrate just a little upon hearing this guys finally been taken out.

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ May 2 2011, 03:15 AM) *
I agree with Azza here...the future will show what good this will bring, or if it will raise even more bad things. I never believed in an "eye for an eye" policy.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
It could bring some very bad things. Reprisal, martyr attacks, etc. Could be the start of a string of very bad things. But perhaps just being a U.S. citizen, it's hard not to celebrate just a little upon hearing this guys finally been taken out.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson

+Quote Post
Gary
May 3 2011, 06:21 AM
Admittedly, I am not one to mince words an also don't believe in being politically correct for fear of hurting of ones feelings. Therefore, Il admit that I am giddy that this SOB is finally dead. Moreover, I like the fact that the last thing this douchebag saw was the barrel of a Navy Seal's gun…how sweet thy justice.

I would challenge the notion that this will not change anything. I can readily think of three things it does right off the top of my head;

1. 1) Makes clear that when Bush stated the US would ignore borders to fight terrorism it was meant. To suggest that Pakistan’s leaders did not know OBL was in country is comical. That compound could have easily been decimated with a cruise missile, however the demonstrated capability to launch a helicopter based ground attack on fortress within a heavily fortified nation and then inform their govt afterward sends a pretty clear message regarding our ability and resolve. Props to Obama for staying the course on this.
  2. 2) I have argued the ramifications of the death penalty with people who are against it.. and I find fault in the argument that taking one’s life does nothing in the end. The taking of a murders life 100% guarantees that person will NEVER kill again.
  3. 3) To the families of the near 3000 people murdered on 9/11 and all the rest that have suffered due to this man’s actions, his death brings closure. Less we forget that OBL killed more Muslims than anyone else during his reign as head of the Al Qaeda.

Good riddance.

Gary

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 3 2011, 07:52 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm glad to see this chapter has finally been brought to end... or so it seems. Theres always more to the story than whats immediately apparent. The Pakistani ISI is a very effective intelligence agency, so it is likely they knew about Bin Ladens whereabouts. So the question here is why would they be entangled with him? There is a possibility this web of entanglement could extend farther than the ISI.

Pakistan lies in a very difficult part of the world, and they have their own problems. We should keep in mind they're going to look out for their own interests before they give a thought to caring about ours.

The reason why there was a surgical strike by Navy SEALS instead of dropping an enormous bomb over his head is because a) we weren't 100% sure it was him in the compound b ) if it was him, we would need to produce a body, which a JDAM would most certainly vaporize c) this is the most important - he was thirty miles outside of the capital of Pakistan, having B-52's flying over and bombing a suburb of the capital would have completely obliterated that building and our relationship with Pakistan. Bombing the Northwest Province of Pakistan is borderline acceptable because the Pakistani military has no control over that area. Abbottabad (named after a British guy named Abbott believe it or not biggrin.gif) is where Pakistans equivalent of Westpoint/Sandhurst is located. You can see how bombing this place would be a bad idea.

As far as celebrating the death of Bin Laden, I'm not going to condemn it simply because its a great relief knowing that he is gone. But I think because we are the most powerful nation on Earth we should show a bit of humility. Gloating in the death of an anti-colonialist terrorist, no matter how loathsome he was, seems unbecoming of a powerful nation.

To quote Martin Luther King Jr., ‎"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

Edit: I would like to add one more thing thats somewhat related. Many think that Obama releasing his birth certificate was a bad political move, why would he pander to a bunch of fools? But now it has become apparent that he knew that within a week there would be a major event that would dominate the news, and this whole birth certificate ordeal would be forgotten, and any return to it now or any time in the future would seem trivial. This is just a speculation of mine, I could be completely wrong tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: May 3 2011, 08:22 AM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 3 2011, 08:58 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
That is wise. Were I to invoke logic, however, logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
May 3 2011, 11:36 PM
Learning Roadie
So far this whole Osama business, starting from 9/11, hasn't touched me or anyone I know in a concrete way. I hope my life will stay that way. The world's too damn filled with hate without me having to add to it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:54 PM