Hardened Calluses
bryanmoore
May 22 2011, 07:28 PM
GMC:er
Greetings GMC Instructors.

The callus covering the tip of my left middle finger has gotten so thick and hard that I'm losing control over whole tone bends. I notice if I grab the string above the callus and allow the string to "dig in" to some fresh skin I create a new groove in my finger and thus regain control. Problem is, after a bit of playing (especially when bending the G String) the string starts slipping out again and tries to find its way back down to its natural position in the hardened, grooveless callus.

Do any of you guys experience this? Is there a trick that I don't know about?
Maybe a surgical slit with a razor knife?

Bryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 22 2011, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't suggest a razor knife as they are quite easy to breakdown/remove without the need of blood and injuring yourself (which means you might need to recover before playing again).

Use a butter knife or dull blade (run it under hot water).
Also a sanding wet stone or fine sandpaper would help.

Get some warm water in which to soak the hand(s). Soak them for ages, a warm shower/bath might be a easier option.

Towel dry them lightly.

Then gently rub the calluses with the knife edge or sandpaper, it should slowly breakdown and start skinning. Calluses are raised a bit and have turned white - dead skin. This should not be painful, stop if it hurts.

Resoak hands.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
bryanmoore
May 22 2011, 08:04 PM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 22 2011, 06:53 PM) *
I wouldn't suggest a razor knife as they are quite easy to breakdown/remove without the need of blood and injuring yourself (which means you might need to recover before playing again).

Use a butter knife or dull blade (run it under hot water).
Also a sanding wet stone or fine sandpaper would help.

Get some warm water in which to soak the hand(s). Soak them for ages, a warm shower/bath might be a easier option.

Towel dry them lightly.

Then gently rub the calluses with the knife edge or sandpaper, it should slowly breakdown and start skinning. Calluses are raised a bit and have turned white - dead skin. This should not be painful, stop if it hurts.

Resoak hands.

Thanks for the tip, but just to clarify...

I don't want to get rid of my calluses (in fact I'm quite proud of them), I just wanted to know if any of you guys had ever experimented with trying to recreate the desired "grooved line" in them with something other that just continued playing.

+Quote Post
bryanmoore
May 23 2011, 12:41 AM
QUOTE (bryanmoore @ May 22 2011, 07:04 PM) *
Thanks for the tip, but just to clarify...

I don't want to get rid of my calluses (in fact I'm quite proud of them), I just wanted to know if any of you guys had ever experimented with trying to recreate the desired "grooved line" in them with something other that just continued playing.

Shouldv'e listened to you Azzaboi. Sharp objects on fingertips = injury. Went with a safety pin and just tried to scrap a little groove. What i discovered is that right under that callused skin lies fresh tender skin. Amazing Right!? Don't really know why I was convinced that was the solution to my problem. Too impulsive I guess; or maybe just not the sharpest stick in the pile.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 23 2011, 02:47 AM
I was under the impression you wanted to redevelop them, remove and recreate. All guitarist want good calluses.

People pin prick fingers to speed up calluses development, cutting them to much however I'm guessing would only draw blood or cause injury. Hopefully you can still play fine?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
bryanmoore
May 23 2011, 03:29 AM
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 23 2011, 01:47 AM) *
I was under the impression you wanted to redevelop them, remove and recreate. All guitarist want good calluses.

People pin prick fingers to speed up calluses development, cutting them to much however I'm guessing would only draw blood or cause injury. Hopefully you can still play fine?

No, I'm afraid not. Coach put me on the DL. Hope to get back in the lineup ASAP. I think next time I'll just use a fingernail file or something. String bending/ Vibrato has been a bit too addictve lately anyway. Haven't seen the kids in a while. I hear my daughter can write her name now. Don't want all their memories of me to be this voice from behind the bedroom door saying, "I'll be out in just a minute... go play."

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 23 2011, 07:37 AM
Yeah, you got to even life out. Don't want to miss watching them grow.
It's not subconscious self-sabotage right? So you can hang out with your kids.

Get better soon.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 23 2011, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bryanmoore @ May 23 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Don't want all their memories of me to be this voice from behind the bedroom door saying, "I'll be out in just a minute... go play."

Yeah, it's usually the kids who don't want to come out their rooms.. you've swapped roles ! smile.gif

That sounds like a serious callus you developed.. you really must have put it through some intense bending sessions to get that ??!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
bryanmoore
May 23 2011, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 23 2011, 07:56 AM) *
Yeah, it's usually the kids who don't want to come out their rooms.. you've swapped roles ! smile.gif

That sounds like a serious callus you developed.. you really must have put it through some intense bending sessions to get that ??!! ohmy.gif

Yeah and it's all your fault Ben! You and all the other flame-throwin' hot shot instructors on this site! I was perfectly content playing acoustic jazz/ folk/ bluegrass until I stumbled into Kristofer Dahl saying, "ARE YOU READY!?" Now I'm focused, determined and within reach of being a hard rocker! My wife can't figure out what went wrong. She often asks, "are you going to ever play your acoustic again?"

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 23 2011, 07:24 PM
hehe

Play's 'Metallica - Nothing else matters' - now that's still acoustic smile.gif

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 23 2011, 07:25 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 24 2011, 10:07 AM
Guitar Hero
Sure you can still play acoustic! Serenade her with Meshuggah like this LOL

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 24 2011, 02:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Wow, I've never developed that thick of calluses before on my fingers. Mine are thin and just right.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 24 2011, 10:07 PM
Instructor
Don't worry mate, in time you will develop normally distributed calluses. I advise you: do NOT apply surgical knife in any way smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:15 PM