Drop D Tuning, I Have No Idea!
meandmyguitar
Jun 20 2007, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
when you tune to drop D tuning are you suppose to tune all strings diffrently or is it just the thickest e.

plus when i do that the e string is very tense (i don't know the word for it but i think it is tense) so it doesen't fell comfortalbe to play.

please help me all my favourite songs are played in Drop D tuning.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jun 20 2007, 11:24 PM
From what I hear you just drop the low E string.

It should not seem tighter... it should be looser because you're flattening it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 20 2007, 11:35 PM
Learning Roadie
In standard tuning, the 5th fret on the E string is an A, which a lot of people use for tuning (i dont know if you do) as if your E string is in tune the next thing to do is A. For drop D, you want to drop it down a tone so that the 7th fret of the E string is an A.

[edit] to explain more fully, as you know the musical alphabet goes A BC D EF G (minus sharps and flats), so since you're starting at E (note the way I wrote it, F is one semitone sharp of E, so D is one tone flat of E) you want to "drop" it down to D.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jun 20 2007, 11:39 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 20 2007, 11:48 PM
All you do is make your Low E go down to a D play the 4th string and the 6th string together to get the right pitch. Its easy!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jun 21 2007, 12:42 AM
Tune Low E half a step down. My way of tuning it.. take a tuner, plug it in, play it until it says D biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 21 2007, 01:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 20 2007, 04:48 PM) *
All you do is make your Low E go down to a D play the 4th string and the 6th string together to get the right pitch. Its easy!!

Well you don't want it the same pitch as the D string, you might break your E string if you do that (that'd be tuning UP) but yeah the same note but not pitch.

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 20 2007, 05:42 PM) *
Tune Low E half a step down. My way of tuning it.. take a tuner, plug it in, play it until it says D biggrin.gif

You want it to be DADGBE, instead of EADGBE, so you need to tune it a whole step not a half step.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 22 2007, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jun 20 2007, 05:42 PM) *

i think that works well.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:35 AM