Slap - Funk Guitar
Nick6373
Jan 21 2015, 08:27 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC, does anyone know any good slap/pop guitar lessons that teach you the technique and how to play slap guitar?
I can't find any that teach technique, just songs and licks.
Thanks!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 21 2015, 08:54 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 21 2015, 08:27 PM) *
Hey GMC, does anyone know any good slap/pop guitar lessons that teach you the technique and how to play slap guitar?
I can't find any that teach technique, just songs and licks.
Thanks!!

Good question! smile.gif
This technique is pretty much the same as on the bass guitar so I'd like to invite you to check out some of my slap bass guitar lessons and we could discuss possibilities how to apply the technique to guitar. To me slap guitar technique sounds very impressive and as cool as on the bass. Also, there is a uniqueness factor in play as this technique is not abused on guitar as some others are.

I think this lesson will answer your questions about the technique and mechanics of it: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Start_Slapping_Now/

Here you can find my slap bass lessons arranged in order which you can study them in : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=29466 (scroll down to Slap and Pop section)
Please let me know if you need any exercise suggestions. Cool thing is that you can literally take my slap bass exercises and play them on the guitar. First 4 strings on the bass are tuned exactly the same as first 4 strings on the guitar.

Please let me know if you have any questions about slapping, I'll be glad to help smile.gif

p.s. There are some slap guitar exercise lessons coming out soon on GMC smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 21 2015, 09:15 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Very cool technique! cool.gif Here are a few that I remember right off the top of my head. Have you tried typing the keywords "slap funk" into the search engine? I am pretty sure there are a few more on the site. Happy slapping!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slapping-Funk-Solos/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slap-Harmonics/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slap-Tap-Funk/

PS: Here is another one!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slappi...que_for_Guitar/

PSS: Ha! Bogdan is on the scene! He is probably your best bet around here for explaining the actual technique.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jan 21 2015, 09:29 PM

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 22 2015, 01:58 AM
Thanks so much guys, gonna start learning now!!
I was wondering if once I think I have the basic technique if I could send you (Bogdan) a video of it and get your advice on it? I'm having trouble with the slapping part.

Attached File  bad_slapping.mp3 ( 144.9K ) Number of downloads: 101

I always get the kind of squeeky/scratching sound and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You hit the string with the bony joint of your thumb but I can't really tell what's supposed to be happening after that...
In this video it looks like he's just hitting the string with his thumb and moving it away... Which direction is he moving his thumb after he hits it: up, down or just moving outwards away from the string?

Also the motion shouldn't be a forceful downward/upward motion that actually pushes and plucks the string should it?

Sorry if that was kinda hard to understand, let me know if it was and I'll try re-explain it.
Thanks!

This post has been edited by Nick6373: Jan 22 2015, 06:18 AM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 22 2015, 01:53 PM
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 22 2015, 01:58 AM) *
Thanks so much guys, gonna start learning now!!
I was wondering if once I think I have the basic technique if I could send you (Bogdan) a video of it and get your advice on it? I'm having trouble with the slapping part.

Attached File  bad_slapping.mp3 ( 144.9K ) Number of downloads: 101

I always get the kind of squeeky/scratching sound and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

You hit the string with the bony joint of your thumb but I can't really tell what's supposed to be happening after that...
In this video it looks like he's just hitting the string with his thumb and moving it away... Which direction is he moving his thumb after he hits it: up, down or just moving outwards away from the string?

Also the motion shouldn't be a forceful downward/upward motion that actually pushes and plucks the string should it?

Sorry if that was kinda hard to understand, let me know if it was and I'll try re-explain it.
Thanks!

Hi Nick - of course, please feel free to send me any video/audio materials you've got and I'll provide you with feedback and help you get this technique down.

I have taken the listen to your audio sample and I can hear what is going on.
Please let me answer your questions first as they will lead you to the solution :

Q: Which direction is he moving his thumb after he hits it: up, down or just moving outwards away from the string?
A: You should hit the string in a bit of downward motion and let your finger bounce off the string. This would be a bit of downward and away from the guitar body motion. Check out the video part 1 in this lesson for some additional video angles/demonstrations : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Start_Slapping_Now/ ...In the sample you have sent I can hear that you are choking the string (muting) which prevents it from producing sound after it has been hit with the thumb.

Q: Also the motion shouldn't be a forceful downward/upward motion that actually pushes and plucks the string should it?
A: Now this is a good question, as the hit should actually be a bit forceful and it in its essence emulates a pluck or pick motion. What is happening is that you are hitting the string with the joint of your thumb and going slightly through the string (in order to get it moving/vibrating) and then bouncing off immediately to leave the produced string vibration intact (so that the sound of the note can come out).

Here is an exercise you could try:

1. Pluck any note on the low E string with your thumb, just normally as you would do when playing the fingerstyle guitar.
2. Now try to pluck the string with your thumb by moving its position so that you do the same motion and get the same sound, this time by making contact with the bony part of the thumb instead of the tip you'd normally use. Can you do it?
3. This is the hard step (leap) to make smile.gif Using the same motion you got used to in the step 2, try to do it "From distance", by hitting the string and going through it (bounce off). This is the actual slap in its very essence. It is same as "plucking with the bone" but done at high speed in order to get that aggressive/percussive sound.

When it comes to guitar specifics, this technique can get a bit more tricky then played on the bass and it requires a bit more muting of the left hand to kill the unwanted noises.

Please let me know if any of this makes sense and if you need any further details smile.gif
This technique and "first" slaps are always hard to get, but it is really awesome that you want to practice this style so - LET'S DO IT! smile.gif Also, I'll guarantee that you'll have a great feeling once the technique starts working out and you get first slaps to sound nice smile.gif (...and it will with just a bit of practice!)

Please send me your feedback and follow up questions. Also, please send any videos/audio samples you have and we can work on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 22 2015, 09:24 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 22 2015, 12:53 PM) *
Hi Nick - of course, please feel free to send me any video/audio materials you've got and I'll provide you with feedback and help you get this technique down.

I have taken the listen to your audio sample and I can hear what is going on.
Please let me answer your questions first as they will lead you to the solution :

Q: Which direction is he moving his thumb after he hits it: up, down or just moving outwards away from the string?
A: You should hit the string in a bit of downward motion and let your finger bounce off the string. This would be a bit of downward and away from the guitar body motion. Check out the video part 1 in this lesson for some additional video angles/demonstrations : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Start_Slapping_Now/ ...In the sample you have sent I can hear that you are choking the string (muting) which prevents it from producing sound after it has been hit with the thumb.

Q: Also the motion shouldn't be a forceful downward/upward motion that actually pushes and plucks the string should it?
A: Now this is a good question, as the hit should actually be a bit forceful and it in its essence emulates a pluck or pick motion. What is happening is that you are hitting the string with the joint of your thumb and going slightly through the string (in order to get it moving/vibrating) and then bouncing off immediately to leave the produced string vibration intact (so that the sound of the note can come out).

Here is an exercise you could try:

1. Pluck any note on the low E string with your thumb, just normally as you would do when playing the fingerstyle guitar.
2. Now try to pluck the string with your thumb by moving its position so that you do the same motion and get the same sound, this time by making contact with the bony part of the thumb instead of the tip you'd normally use. Can you do it?
3. This is the hard step (leap) to make smile.gif Using the same motion you got used to in the step 2, try to do it "From distance", by hitting the string and going through it (bounce off). This is the actual slap in its very essence. It is same as "plucking with the bone" but done at high speed in order to get that aggressive/percussive sound.

When it comes to guitar specifics, this technique can get a bit more tricky then played on the bass and it requires a bit more muting of the left hand to kill the unwanted noises.

Please let me know if any of this makes sense and if you need any further details smile.gif
This technique and "first" slaps are always hard to get, but it is really awesome that you want to practice this style so - LET'S DO IT! smile.gif Also, I'll guarantee that you'll have a great feeling once the technique starts working out and you get first slaps to sound nice smile.gif (...and it will with just a bit of practice!)

Please send me your feedback and follow up questions. Also, please send any videos/audio samples you have and we can work on it.

Thanks for the advice, it really cleared some stuff up. So if you're just plucking with that bone at a highspeed what's the point in not just slapping/plucking with the tip of your thumb? What's the difference between using the tip of your thumb and the bone?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 22 2015, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Nick6373 @ Jan 22 2015, 09:24 PM) *
Thanks for the advice, it really cleared some stuff up. So if you're just plucking with that bone at a highspeed what's the point in not just slapping/plucking with the tip of your thumb? What's the difference between using the tip of your thumb and the bone?

Great question, never really though about it before! smile.gif I'd guess that when you are hitting the string with the bone, you get potentially much stronger hits (=better percussion/aggressive tone). The bone part of the finger is also more stable in comparison to fleshy tip of the thumb which makes for better contact with the string. It would also be very painful to slap using the tip of your thumb (even the bone part can get hurt or create blisters).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nick6373
Jan 23 2015, 12:18 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 22 2015, 10:15 PM) *
Great question, never really though about it before! smile.gif I'd guess that when you are hitting the string with the bone, you get potentially much stronger hits (=better percussion/aggressive tone). The bone part of the finger is also more stable in comparison to fleshy tip of the thumb which makes for better contact with the string. It would also be very painful to slap using the tip of your thumb (even the bone part can get hurt or create blisters).

Thanks for the help, I'll keep working on slapping and see how it goes.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 27 2015, 12:20 PM
Hi Nick, there is a cool slap guitar exercise lesson on the front page - check it out here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slap-E...e-Muted-Rhythm/

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:30 PM