Digitech Gnx4 Programming Help, Diego Budicin's Jumping Harmonies Lesson Tone
Jim S.
Mar 10 2015, 03:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi Guy's and Gals This thread has 2 issues that Id like help with. The first, I have a Gnx4 and if you have one or have something similar and have good experience programming it then I could sure use your help.

I am using this workstation for 2 different setups. 1 is home setup which can be connected via usb or directly into a Maudio firewire unit. Either way seems fine to me.

The second is a live setup which it is the front runner of my tube amp. Now This seems to be the tricky part because as I do like all the bells and whistles, most of the bells and whistles do not sound very good going into the preamp. Vise versa the stompbox effects do not sound very good in the FX LOOP of the Amp.

I do have 2 other pedals which sound great in front of my amp (Sans Amp guitar) and a Tube screamer. I favor the Sans amp as it has 3 different settings but you need to manually switch them with your finger. The California setting is Raw as hell and I like it alot.

Can I configure my fx loop from my amp into this and bypass the stomp box's or Am I stuck using the Sans amp in front and only using the FX from the Digitech through the loop?

During a live performance I want to be able to easily turn off reverb, chorus, ect.....

This also records too and Id like to take advantage of that. Seems like too many things to stomp on but maybe I need some guidance from somebody who has experience with it.

Finally I am working on a Lesson from Diego Budicin https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jumping-Harmonies/ and I am having a hard time working out a tone that cuts through it.

With the GNX4 what are the settings I should be on the look out for and what do I need to do to save that setting and use it in my live mix too?

Thanks for any help guys!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2015, 06:02 AM
GMC:er
You can use the foot switches to control individual pedals as stomp boxes while you are in FOOTSWITCH MODE. You can switch to PRESET MODE to use all of the foot switches to select individual presets.

This is covered on Page 21 of the USER MANUAL. Here is a screen grab and here is the LINK to download the USER MANUAL. It sounds like you could really benefit from a quick read of the manual. I know it's never fun to read the darn manual, but with something like the GNX it's really part of being an effective user of the device.

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/pdf/GNX4Manual.pdf

Attached Image

I've got the GNX3 which is my fave floor unit of all time. I have yet to find a floor uni that sounds better at ANY price point. I may still get a GNX4 simply because it has usb which the gnx3 lacks. The GNX model was their last decent sounding multi pedal imho. The more recent offerings suffer from being a pinch crap it seems sad.gif

I never used mine with the fx loop, just guita>gnx>amp or PA. But I'm sure you can find everything you need in the documentation. Make some recordings forus! smile.gif

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 13 2015, 05:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 12 2015, 12:02 AM) *
You can use the foot switches to control individual pedals as stomp boxes while you are in FOOTSWITCH MODE. You can switch to PRESET MODE to use all of the foot switches to select individual presets.

This is covered on Page 21 of the USER MANUAL. Here is a screen grab and here is the LINK to download the USER MANUAL. It sounds like you could really benefit from a quick read of the manual. I know it's never fun to read the darn manual, but with something like the GNX it's really part of being an effective user of the device.

http://www.guitarworkstation.com/pdf/GNX4Manual.pdf

Attached Image

I've got the GNX3 which is my fave floor unit of all time. I have yet to find a floor uni that sounds better at ANY price point. I may still get a GNX4 simply because it has usb which the gnx3 lacks. The GNX model was their last decent sounding multi pedal imho. The more recent offerings suffer from being a pinch crap it seems sad.gif

I never used mine with the fx loop, just guita>gnx>amp or PA. But I'm sure you can find everything you need in the documentation. Make some recordings forus! smile.gif

Todd

I'll tell ya that I sorely underestimated this thing. Owning it for a good 7yrs I never could pay attention long enough to see what this thing could do. After Cosmin gave me a little grief on my tone I pitched it aside. I'm glad it's back because it's pretty powerful.

The manual is simple yet confusing but once you get the idea of the 3 different modes your golden.

Here's the best part, in recorder mode you can save up to 100 songs or in my case "ideas." These ideas I can bring with me to band practice and home and I won't ever forget it. It's not easy to switch between ideas like that in a daw.

After you organize your presets there is a warp feature that lets you combine 2 different combos and it sounds pretty cool.
Once you have picked one preset you can go into stomp box mode which refines that preset and you can have 3 different channels for each one. Say a clean, rectified and a warp from both. You can change cabinets and add many many pedals, even a talker which takes a mic signal and mixes your guitar.

There is a button called speaker comp and with it off high gain sounds like shit (sorry it's a good use of the word) that gave me a lot of problems.

Well thanks Todd for getting me to pull the manual out. Lastly it seems best to just plug directly into amp, I did find a way to hook up the fx loop but I am realizing the power of simplicity.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2015, 03:31 PM
Happy to help!! The WARP feature is the best bit on the box imho ;0) It allows you to make patches are are just amazing then you can take another warped patch and save it as an "amp" and warp it with another warped patch to create "hyper warped" patches that have nearly unlimited tonal choices.

Every "warped" preset can be saved as an "Amp Model" and then brought up later and combined with any other amp model. I have yet to find another multi board that can compete on tone with the GNX 1/2/3/4 for under $1,000.

These are just amazing units IMHO. I"m going to get a replacement for mine when it finally dies smile.gif Too bad DIGITECH got all cheap and went away from the GENETX engine and moved toward crap sounding processors. sad.gif

It does take time to get used to programming this unit but the rewards are worth it smile.gif I run mine to a stereo P.A. for full range sound and it's just killer.

I agree on plugging it right in to the amp. Never got any good results with this in the loop. Just guitar>gnx>amp. OR guitar>gnx>p.a. or guitar>gnx>usb to computer monitors.

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 13 2015, 12:07 AM) *
I'll tell ya that I sorely underestimated this thing. Owning it for a good 7yrs I never could pay attention long enough to see what this thing could do. After Cosmin gave me a little grief on my tone I pitched it aside. I'm glad it's back because it's pretty powerful.

The manual is simple yet confusing but once you get the idea of the 3 different modes your golden.

Here's the best part, in recorder mode you can save up to 100 songs or in my case "ideas." These ideas I can bring with me to band practice and home and I won't ever forget it. It's not easy to switch between ideas like that in a daw.

After you organize your presets there is a warp feature that lets you combine 2 different combos and it sounds pretty cool.
Once you have picked one preset you can go into stomp box mode which refines that preset and you can have 3 different channels for each one. Say a clean, rectified and a warp from both. You can change cabinets and add many many pedals, even a talker which takes a mic signal and mixes your guitar.

There is a button called speaker comp and with it off high gain sounds like shit (sorry it's a good use of the word) that gave me a lot of problems.

Well thanks Todd for getting me to pull the manual out. Lastly it seems best to just plug directly into amp, I did find a way to hook up the fx loop but I am realizing the power of simplicity.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 13 2015, 03:33 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 27 2015, 03:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/trak01wav

Heres a little clip from a couple nights ago. Im using the Gnx Recorder for the first time. It's a bit to get used to but I'm getting the hang of it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 27 2015, 07:15 PM
Very cool!! Well done smile.gif That's one of the great things about the GNX3/4 is the built in 8 track recorder. So you can always lay down your ideas very quickly without having to boot up the computer and load your daw etc.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 27 2015, 10:11 AM) *
https://soundcloud.com/division-bridge/trak01wav

Heres a little clip from a couple nights ago. Im using the Gnx Recorder for the first time. It's a bit to get used to but I'm getting the hang of it.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Mar 30 2015, 01:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I'm close to a rec. take for Diegos lesson. Am I close, what changes in tone and playing do I need to make to pass?

Thanks guys!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  trim.B7724A85_BEE8_4080_97C7_86E0CB5303F1.MOV ( 44.03MB ) Number of downloads: 422

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 31 2015, 10:36 PM
The tone won't keep you from passing smile.gif As for the playing, any way you can put this up on youtube so we can stream it? it's a 40 megabyte download as is sad.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Mar 30 2015, 08:42 AM) *
So I'm close to a rec. take for Diegos lesson. Am I close, what changes in tone and playing do I need to make to pass?

Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Apr 2 2015, 01:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sorry for the late response Todd, here is the vid. Thanks for informing me about download sizes. I never thought about it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2015, 02:06 AM
Is that your GNX tone? Is so NICE!!!!!!! smile.gif Which AMP / Pedals are you using on the gnx? Thanks for uploading to youtube smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 2 2015, 08:37 AM) *
Sorry for the late response Todd, here is the vid. Thanks for informing me about download sizes. I never thought about it.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Apr 6 2015, 12:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 5 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Is that your GNX tone? Is so NICE!!!!!!! smile.gif Which AMP / Pedals are you using on the gnx? Thanks for uploading to youtube smile.gif

Hey thanks! Yes that's all Gnx. I'm using a vox amp with a stomp box "bigg muff?" And the low, mids, and highs all needed boosted in the Gnx and that brought out some clarity.

What's really nice is I'm not using my computer to rec my guitar anymore. That's killer because with using sup drummer and bass vst it consumes memory like crazy. I still run logic to assemble but use the Gnx to rec the takes. Once I get a good recording I hit one button and I drag it into logic. It's pretty easy.

This is my latest rec. take

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 6 2015, 07:16 PM
Your in luck smile.gif There is a KILLER parametric EQ built in to the GNX. If you have not messed with it yet, it's worth a try! It can put great sparkle on your tone. This EQ is on top of the Bass/Treble controls that are part of each amp.

Also, with the cab modelling, it's possible to go directly from the GNX and in to your audio interface/sound card and skip the guitar cab if you like smile.gif The cab modelling is pretty spiff. Usually, my gnx sounded better direct or through a PA than through a guitar cab. Also, if you turn OFF the cab emulation, you get much brighter tone through a real guitar cab.

Keep tweaking and jamming!! The GNX remains one of my fave units ever built and I"ve tried wads of fx units. It sounds as good as my 11 Rack which is far newer and far more expensive.

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Apr 6 2015, 07:30 AM) *
Hey thanks! Yes that's all Gnx. I'm using a vox amp with a stomp box "bigg muff?" And the low, mids, and highs all needed boosted in the Gnx and that brought out some clarity.

What's really nice is I'm not using my computer to rec my guitar anymore. That's killer because with using sup drummer and bass vst it consumes memory like crazy. I still run logic to assemble but use the Gnx to rec the takes. Once I get a good recording I hit one button and I drag it into logic. It's pretty easy.

This is my latest rec. take

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:46 PM