A Theory On Speed....
Jim S.
Aug 26 2015, 04:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
As I practice more technical approaches I found out a few things. First when playing a phrase over a click track at 80bpm, fingers are holding string pressure longer esp while hammer one and pull offs. When picking at low speeds there is less reason to keep other fingers down waiting to receive the pulled note. When picking you can relieve the fretting fingers as soon as the next note is played. As we speed up there and get into the 140-160bpm the fingers are only holding string pressure for way less time so in theory wouldn't it be easier to play faster?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 26 2015, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
After a certain level, I recommend friends to go back to 1234 beginner/warmup like exercises but trying to keep the left hand pressure as low as possible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 26 2015, 06:02 PM
GMC Founder
Your theory might be correct, but why is there a need for it?

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Aug 26 2015, 05:00 AM) *
First when playing a phrase over a click track at 80bpm, fingers are holding string pressure longer esp while hammer one and pull offs.

If your left hand is relaxed enough this should not be a problem. Maybe you are still pushing speed a bit too much?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Aug 26 2015, 06:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 26 2015, 01:02 PM) *
Your theory might be correct, but why is there a need for it?

If your left hand is relaxed enough this should not be a problem. Maybe you are still pushing speed a bit too much?

I guess my reasoning is similar to the idea of a scalloped vs non scalloped neck.... If you push too hard and using extra pressure then your wasting it. If you speed through it cleanly it seems so have less impact on the fingers. I'm assuming one of my specific problems comes from using too much energy because I'm not that relaxed or my muscles are not developed enough. As always I overthink things and was just giving some ideas on where problem areas could be.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 26 2015, 06:56 PM
GMC Founder
ok this kind of self analysing is very healthy!

If I were to guess I still think you should work on relaxing and practicing at slower speeds. I need to constantly remind myself about this as well.

We can look at this during the sunday chat btw!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2015, 07:25 PM
GMC:er
Sorry for the lag, I just ran across this post. You are spot on smile.gif Too much pressure, at speed, is a waste of energy and will actually force you to lose some precision as it makes it harder to release one note in time to fret the next.

Always remind your hand to play lightly at speed, which the body will fight you on. The body responds to playing fast by gettin "tense" almost like you are in a FIGHT.

One way to work on this is to play a simple three note pattern in a loop focusing only on how little pressure you can apply to your left hand. Keep bumping up the metronome and focus on using as little pressure as possible. The brain gets a break as you are only playing three notes. It's hard to focus on playing lightly while trying to remember the next million notes.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Aug 26 2015, 01:44 PM) *
I guess my reasoning is similar to the idea of a scalloped vs non scalloped neck.... If you push too hard and using extra pressure then your wasting it. If you speed through it cleanly it seems so have less impact on the fingers. I'm assuming one of my specific problems comes from using too much energy because I'm not that relaxed or my muscles are not developed enough. As always I overthink things and was just giving some ideas on where problem areas could be.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:04 AM