Harder To Descend Than Ascend?, Speed picking practice
thefireball
Nov 25 2015, 04:25 AM
Learning Roadie
Do you ever find it harder for you to descend a scale in speed picking than ascending?
I have a fast run in a guitar solo for my song, it's really getting me. The first part is descending. I can do the second part a lot quicker when I ascend. Trying to get it at full speed and clean. I set up a loop to play over and over but i get fatigued and start "tripping" over myself.

It's basically 16th notes over 141 bpm is the goal. wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Nov 25 2015, 07:06 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey!

I do have a similar problem.

When alternate picking, there are basically four ways of crossing strings (without considering string skipping, which is of course another story).
Two inside crossings and two outside crossings. For me, outside is what causes the slow-down/stumbling/tripping, and I have noticed that crossing outside from e.g. B string to G string is even worse than the other way. I guess this may well be the key reason to why descending licks seem harder than the corresponding ascending ones. [Notice also how Yngwie tends to pick differently when descending compared to ascending.]

H4H

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 25 2015, 08:54 AM
GMC Founder
Interesting topic!

I find it harder to ascend - this is is probably because I rely on legato when picking. Sounds weird I know, but if I can't play a lick with legato I won't be able to make it sound the way I want with picking.

When ascending, you typically cross stings with the index finger. And doing a hammer-on from nowhere (=legato) with the index is tricky.

Not sure I managed to explain this very well though ph34r.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2015, 09:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm in this camp and blame my pinky. I also find it easier to ascend with legato than to descend so Kris maybe onto something!!!!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Nov 25 2015, 09:45 AM
Learning Roadie
descending is easer for me in some case , and ascending in other

weird...

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 25 2015, 02:45 PM
Instructor
I think that there is no difference between both, and that it's more related to what we play / practice more. In other words, it's totally related to what we are more familiar. I think that the element that makes some AP phrases or passages more difficult than others is related to Hungry For Heaven's post. The different ways of crossing strings, and the different quantity of notes that you play on each string.

This are 5 possible patterns that we can find when crossing strings with alternate picking. Try each ascending and descending on the scale and identity where you have more problems. Then, that's what you need to practice to avoid limitations.

LINK

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:21 AM