Exotic Scales - Harmonic Minor
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 5 2007, 12:26 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Exotic Scales - Harmonic Minor

The Harmonic minor scale is a variation of the minor scale in which the 7th degree is sharpened compared to the natural minor (which make is a major 7th instead of a flattened 7th). This makes the interval between the 6th and 7th notes of the scale an augmented second. The Harmonic minor scale was originally conceived to produce a minor scale that preserved the leading tone of the major scale, which has an important harmonic function but is not present in the natural minor(Aeolian) scale. For more information see my lesson on Minor Scales Revisited.

The resulting scale sounds a little odd and exotic, since the introduction of the major 7th leaves a 3 semitone gap which is a little unusual in western music. In contemporary music, this scale is beloved of neoclassical guitarists and is an important weapon in any one's arsenal. It is a very defined sound and can be overused, but used sparingly it can lend a very exotic feel to an otherwise normal piece.

Number of tones : 7

Intervals : 2-1-2-2-1-3-1

Formula : 1,2,b3,4,5,b6,7

Characteristic Chords : MinorMajor 7, Minor b6

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 5 2007, 12:30 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Great lesson Andrew, keep up the good work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 5 2007, 12:42 AM
GMC:er
Nice Lesson! You said something about how it can be
overused
what do you exactly mean by that ? Any tips to not overuse it ?

-John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 5 2007, 12:44 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Nov 4 2007, 06:42 PM) *
Nice Lesson! You said something about how it can be what do you exactly mean by that ? Any tips to not overuse it ?

-John

Yes ... play it less often wink.gif

What I meant was that it gets used a lot in neo classical and has almost become a signature sound since it is so very distinctive. My suggestion was rather than base a whole song around it, bring it in occasionally for a change here and there to mix things up a little.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 5 2007, 12:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 5 2007, 12:44 AM) *
Yes ... play it less often wink.gif

What I meant was that it gets used a lot in neo classical and has almost become a signature sound since it is so very distinctive. My suggestion was rather than base a whole song around it, bring it in occasionally for a change here and there to mix things up a little.

Tell that to Y.J.M Andrew laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 5 2007, 12:56 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 4 2007, 06:46 PM) *
Tell that to Y.J.M Andrew laugh.gif

I don't think he'd pay any attention Muris smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 5 2007, 01:03 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
It does get overused, i agree, if used scarcely it becomes a true original sounding part of the song.

Look at it this way, if Diamonds werent rare, would they be worth anything? No, they wouldnt, so id you make the Harmonic Minor scale "rare" in your playing, it will be a "diamond" when you play it smile.gif

Make any sense?

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 5 2007, 01:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 5 2007, 12:56 AM) *
I don't think he'd pay any attention Muris smile.gif

100 % correct biggrin.gif

Must tell you this,bit of topic.
Friend of mine is making album,John West did vocal parts for it.
And John West also sang on Alchemy album ,Y.J.M.
And this is small anegdote about Yngwie,true one as well. biggrin.gif
When they were recording album,Yngwie asked John to have a drink with him at Hard Rock Cafe,
not sure was it in Miami or L.A,never mind.
They went into Cafe and Yngwie pointed at the Strat hanging on the wall
"See this Strat?..That's my Strat"
And John,guy with fine manners responded with..."Really?? Cooool!! smile.gif "
But God had a final word.."But I can't see your stuff hanging here??" laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by muris: Nov 5 2007, 01:38 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Nov 5 2007, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Nov 4 2007, 04:06 PM) *
100 % correct biggrin.gif

Must tell you this,bit of topic.
Friend of mine is making album,John West did vocal parts for it.
And John West also sang on Alchemy album ,Y.J.M.
And this is small anegdote about Yngwie,true one as well. biggrin.gif
When they were recording album,Yngwie asked John to have a drink with him at Hard Rock Cafe,
not sure was it in Miami or L.A,never mind.
They went into Cafe and Yngwie pointed at the Strat hanging on the wall
"See this Strat?..That's my Strat"
And John,guy with fine manners responded with..."Really?? Cooool!! smile.gif "
But God had a final word.."But I can't see your stuff hanging here??" laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif - To bad it was really Marcus's HomeMade Strat , the irony tongue.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
LwShieN
Nov 28 2007, 12:15 PM
Awesome theory lesson , a question about harmonic minor scale and help would be appreciated,

You say suitable chords would be chords like Minor7 and major 7 etc? ..

If lets say you were to play a harmonic Minor Scale to a normal chord like C Major an example using an A Harmonic Minor would it fit and would it still sound exotic or would the raise 7 clash with it?..

Thanks

This post has been edited by LwShieN: Nov 28 2007, 12:17 PM

--------------------
MY GEAR

Ibanez RG1570
Seagul Accoustic Guitar
Brandless Classical Guitar
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Gt8 Boss Pedal

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 28 2007, 12:53 PM
QUOTE (LwShieN @ Nov 28 2007, 06:15 AM) *
Awesome theory lesson , a question about harmonic minor scale and help would be appreciated,

You say suitable chords would be chords like Minor7 and major 7 etc? ..

If lets say you were to play a harmonic Minor Scale to a normal chord like C Major an example using an A Harmonic Minor would it fit and would it still sound exotic or would the raise 7 clash with it?..

Thanks

That depends on the degree of the scale that the chord is taken from. Some will work, others might not - check out my lesson on chords for scales for more details.

For instance:

A hormonic minor is:

A B C D E F G# A

If you started on the root note of A for the scale, you could make the chord of A minor out of those notes (A C E). If you wanted to add a 7th, it would have to be a minor major 7th because of the G#.

if you started on the note of D for the same scale, you would make a chord of D minor (D F A) and adding a 7th would get you D minor 7 (adding a C),

The D minor 7 would be the same in a regular minor scale as it doesn't require use of that altered 7th note of the scale. The A minor major 7 would normally be a minor 7 in a regular minor scale.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
LwShieN
Nov 28 2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for your help Andrew, i see what you mean , depends on the chords and the triads involve ...

That helps ...Now i must learn when to apply it laugh.gif not as simple as i thought ..

Cheers for the help wink.gif

--------------------
MY GEAR

Ibanez RG1570
Seagul Accoustic Guitar
Brandless Classical Guitar
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Gt8 Boss Pedal

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 28 2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe its overused but thats just because it sounds sooooooo good smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 20 2007, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Nov 28 2007, 11:32 AM) *
Maybe its overused but thats just because it sounds sooooooo good smile.gif

wait why arient more boxes for this scale being shown? is this cause this are advanced scales and by now we should have to write them out ourselves sad.gif

--------------------
Random Person : "got a myspace page?"

Me : "hahaha who doesn't? the url is

http://www.myspace.com/maidenmayhem

hahah"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 21 2007, 01:58 PM
QUOTE (Khaos Keith @ Dec 20 2007, 09:19 AM) *
wait why arient more boxes for this scale being shown? is this cause this are advanced scales and by now we should have to write them out ourselves sad.gif

Yeah - that's the idea - you can choose boxes, 3 notes per string or any other method thaty suits you smile.gif

If you have trouble working it out yourself there are many tools in the web that will help you. My favorite is this one.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 21 2007, 02:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 21 2007, 12:58 PM) *
If you have trouble working it out yourself there are many tools in the web that will help you. My favorite is this one.

wow!! just checked that site out, thats a really excellent tool, thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 7 2008, 09:51 AM
Hi there!

Awesome theory board btw, and is just wanted to ask if someone could list me the names of the 6 other modes of the harmonic minor. So we have the harmonic minor, or, for instance starting from the fifth degree we get phrygian dominant and so on (well, that leaves only 5 more to name). I would like to know the English names of these, and possibly the most common one for each mode.

If anyone could help, i'm gonna say a HUGE thanks smile.gif wink.gif

cheers

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 7 2008, 09:56 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Here they are in order:

Harmonic minor
Locrian Natural 6
Harmonic Major/ Ionian #5
Dorian #4
Phrygian-Dominant
Lydian #2
Diminished

+Quote Post
berko
Oct 7 2008, 12:40 PM
And that's a HUGE thanks to DeepRoots smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 8 2008, 01:45 AM
QUOTE (berko @ Oct 7 2008, 07:40 AM) *
And that's a HUGE thanks to DeepRoots smile.gif smile.gif

And thanks from me too smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:58 AM