Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Writing Metal
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pavel Denisjuk > Personal Questions (Pavel)
BM
Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks
Mark.
Interesting question!
I think creating chords over the lyrics gives more melodie, but is more difficult than creating the chords first. Probaly both ways are fine..

Edit : Sorry Pavel for commenting first
Pavel
QUOTE (BM @ Jan 9 2008, 07:13 PM) *
Hey I was wondering,
I am writing songs for an album. My style is based off of Megadeth (Dave Mustaine overall) and I have 2 down. My question is, do I write the riff and then fit the lyrics into it or should I fit the riff into the lyrics? It is easier to do the later but I always find that they seem to all sound alike.

thanks

There is no rule for that. When i was in a band we were usually first writing music and lyrics came afterwards. Sometimes we did the other way around.

Can't help you with making stuff "same" - it depends on your imagination - i can just advise you not to follow the metal genre that strictly, that way you can put some other style riff in and it will sound totally killer smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.