Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Octaves?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Muris Varajic > Theory (Muris)
Coram Deo
I have noticed that both you and Gabriel have done lessons lately that say you use octaves, what do you mean when you say "playing in octaves"? How do you do it, how do you figure out what octaves to use? I know what the word octave means but I am unfamiliar with the term "playing in octaves". Can you please explain? Thank you.
Muris Varajic
It's quite simple actually. smile.gif

You just play same note doubled,higher or lower.
If you know how to find octave lower or higher from specific tone,
then you won't be having troubles. smile.gif
Coram Deo
same note as what? the backing track? Chord progression?
Muris Varajic
Per example,3rd fret on A string,that'd be note C,single tho.
Now just play it together with 5th fret on G string,that's note C as well but in octave higher. smile.gif
That means 2 notes,not chord,not backing or whatever. wink.gif
Coram Deo
QUOTE (Muris @ Jan 23 2008, 01:20 PM) *
Per example,3rd fret on A string,that'd be note C,single tho.
Now just play it together with 5th fret on G string,that's note C as well but in octave higher. smile.gif
That means 2 notes,not chord,not backing or whatever. wink.gif

OOOHHHHH!! Got it, its not an octave higher than another part of the song, just 2 notes played at the same time that are an octave apart. Cool, thanks man!!
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Coram Deo @ Jan 23 2008, 07:33 PM) *
OOOHHHHH!! Got it, its not an octave higher than another part of the song, just 2 notes played at the same time that are an octave apart. Cool, thanks man!!

You got it,cheers biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.