Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard I-iv-v Blues Progression
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
FretDancer69
?? What is it? I want to learn to improvise over it, can you give me some examples of one? Thanks.

If i had to guess, i would thinks its a

Tonic - Subdominant - Dominant chord progression, but im not sure...

Please help
Zephyr
Well, I IV V is one of the most common progressions out there, and it is the tonic, subdominant and dominant. You'll find it in rock, pop, blue, jazz, classical, just about everything out there. One example could be G, C, D in the key of G. Once you know the key of the song, you know what to improvise in! What exactly did you want to know about it?
JVM
Here's a short recorded example of a 1-4-5 progression in A, would be cool if you could record something over it for me wink.gif

Excuse the sloppy playing it's late blink.gif
Iluha
I think it just means that you progress through the major scale..

Like in C it would be C F G, but ussually in blues it's preety rare to see a common major or minor chords, so play around with the chords till you get that blues feel, for example try C7, F7, GMAJOR6(I think it's the one im referring to, it's a G chord with an added F, so correct me if I'm wrong tongue.gif)
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (Iluha @ Feb 15 2008, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it just means that you progress through the major scale..

Like in C it would be C F G, but ussually in blues it's preety rare to see a common major or minor chords, so play around with the chords till you get that blues feel, for example try C7, F7, GMAJOR6(I think it's the one im referring to, it's a G chord with an added F, so correct me if I'm wrong tongue.gif )

G with an F would be a straight G7 - you would need an E to get a G6 ....
FretDancer69
QUOTE (Zephyr @ Feb 14 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I IV V is one of the most common progressions out there, and it is the tonic, subdominant and dominant. You'll find it in rock, pop, blue, jazz, classical, just about everything out there. One example could be G, C, D in the key of G. Once you know the key of the song, you know what to improvise in! What exactly did you want to know about it?

I see. I understasnd now. This is why i wanted to know about it:

http://www.berklee.edu/wst/auditions/guitar.html

QUOTE (Berklee)
Blues: You should be prepared to play over a standard I-IV-V blues progression.

QUOTE (JVM @ Feb 15 2008, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a short recorded example of a 1-4-5 progression in A, would be cool if you could record something over it for me wink.gif

Excuse the sloppy playing it's late blink.gif

Thanks, ill record something over it smile.gif

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 15 2008, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G with an F would be a straight G7 - you would need an E to get a G6 ....

huh...? I still dont get Seventh Chords that much.. but i assume that F to G is a minor 3rd, making it a G7 with that added third right....? unsure.gif
Andrew Cockburn
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Feb 15 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh...? I still dont get Seventh Chords that much.. but i assume that F to G is a minor 3rd, making it a G7 with that added third right....? unsure.gif

The other way around - G to an F is a dominant 7th smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.