Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scalloping A Neck
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Marcus Lavendell
USAMAN
Did you do the scallop job yourself?
I was thinking about going further with the one on my rga 121.

1. Is there any special way you kept the depth of the scallops uniform along the entire neck?
2. Have you ever seen a scalloped wizard neck. The reason I ask is its pretty thin to start with and taking more meat off of the neck has me questioning if its a good idea or not.

Peace.
Patrick.
Marcus Lavendell
Hi Patrick,

Yes, I did the scallop myself. smile.gif
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string). But I just used my eyes for that! I guess you could mark the "correct" depth with a pencil, as they do in that tutorial. But I'm too lazy for that biggrin.gif

Someone once told me that if you scallop a thin neck, it could break. I guess it sounds reasonable since we're in fact taking away some meat off the neck. However, I've done it several times on thin Ibanez necks and never had any problems. If you're concerned about this, then start with a small scallop. You really don't have to go that deep to get the "scallop effect" (easier vibrato & legato) anyway smile.gif

Marcus
Patrik Jezierski
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 16 2008, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Patrick,

Yes, I did the scallop myself. smile.gif
Here's a good tutorial: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string). But I just used my eyes for that! I guess you could mark the "correct" depth with a pencil, as they do in that tutorial. But I'm too lazy for that biggrin.gif

Someone once told me that if you scallop a thin neck, it could break. I guess it sounds reasonable since we're in fact taking away some meat off the neck. However, I've done it several times on thin Ibanez necks and never had any problems. If you're concerned about this, then start with a small scallop. You really don't have to go that deep to get the "scallop effect" (easier vibrato & legato) anyway smile.gif

Marcus

Hej Marcus! smile.gif
Did you scalloped the whole fretboard? or just some of em? I was thinking about scalloping my strat cause I have real problem doing vibratos on the higher frets. but I'm quite unsure though, cause I've heard that it's hard to do chords if you have a fully scalloped fretboard. Is this why you, I quote, "I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string)" ?

It would be really great if you could share some of your thoughts, and maybe if you please could take som close pictures in different angles of your strat neck (the scalloped one of course tongue.gif) It would be soo helpfull smile.gif
USAMAN
Finished it last night 4 am to 8 am...(Im a little manic).

Aching fingers......
All I used was two different sized round files. I decided to practice on an old Warmoth neck I had laying around. It came out great...Malmsteen would be proud.
I did all 21 frets. True to experience a dot at the 12th fret fell out.....replaced it with a piece of black pick (thanks Marcus). It took 4 hours to complete the job. I should have documented the process. However, I can post some pics of the finished project later.
I plan on changing the profile of the back of the neck as well. It was a Warmoth boat neck and I want to put it on a diet.
Juan M. Valero
yeah, I scalloped my freatboard and it's really good !!! I think I can play faster and doing a great bends !!! It's really helpful for me this kind of frets biggrin.gif

I try to record a 'How to scallop your freatboard' lesson wink.gif (I will do it to my old guitar, hehe)
blindwillie
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 16 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I plan on changing the profile of the back of the neck as well. It was a Warmoth boat neck and I want to put it on a diet.

I've been thinking about this too but I've been afraid that the neck could get too weak and curve to much?
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (Patrik Jezierski @ Feb 16 2008, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've heard that it's hard to do chords if you have a fully scalloped fretboard. Is this why you, I quote, "I don't want the scallop to be as deep on the upper side, as on the lower side (under the high E string)" ?

Tjena Patrik! smile.gif

I've also heard some people say that it's harder to play chords when it's fully scalloped. - But I don't agree at all! Those guys are just not used to play on scalloped fretboards, and I think they press down the strings the same way as if it wasn't scalloped. That's the thing, you can't do that because it will just go out of tune. You have to press it with a lighter touch smile.gif

The reason I don't scallop as deep on the upper side is because I (personally) like to feel a little bit of the neck when I play rhythm parts. And I often don't need to do a heavy vibrato on the low e-string, so there's no need for the same deep scallop smile.gif

I'll see If I can take some photos and upload it here!

-Marcus
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 16 2008, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It took 4 hours to complete the job.

21 frets - in 4 hours?! Wow, that must be a record!! Well done:D
Patrik Jezierski
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 17 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tjena Patrik! smile.gif

I've also heard some people say that it's harder to play chords when it's fully scalloped. - But I don't agree at all! Those guys are just not used to play on scalloped fretboards, and I think they press down the strings the same way as if it wasn't scalloped. That's the thing, you can't do that because it will just go out of tune. You have to press it with a lighter touch smile.gif

The reason I don't scallop as deep on the upper side is because I (personally) like to feel a little bit of the neck when I play rhythm parts. And I often don't need to do a heavy vibrato on the low e-string, so there's no need for the same deep scallop smile.gif

I'll see If I can take some photos and upload it here!

-Marcus

Thanks for the fast answer marcus!
I think I've got a little more kött på bena when it comes to scalloping smile.gif
Cool! It would be awsome if you could upload them!
thanks again!
USAMAN
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 17 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
21 frets - in 4 hours?! Wow, that must be a record!! Well done:D

I still cant feel my forefinger..the tip is numb.
I reshaped the back of the neck last night. I might go a little thinner near the nut. Im just afraid to go to far and find the truss rod. Its fun to play around with but the jury is still out. I'll post what I think about scalloped necks in a week or so. Its gonna take some getting use to.
USAMAN
Hey marcus...
can you post a pic of the scallop job on your guitar neck (from the side).
I would like to see the depth of the scallops on your neck. 1-21 if possible.
Thanks.
Tjchep
What size files did you use man?
USAMAN
scallop:
1/4" round and around 3/8 round.
100 grit sand paper
400 sand paper.

neck reprofile:
a nasty looking rasp with big teeth. Tore it down in no time.
sanded it out in progressive steps.
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 18 2008, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
scallop:
1/4" round and around 3/8 round.
100 grit sand paper
400 sand paper.

neck reprofile:

Sounds painful. ph34r.gif I don't think I could do that to my baby. Like to see a pic if you get a chance.
USAMAN
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 19 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds painful. ph34r.gif I don't think I could do that to my baby. Like to see a pic if you get a chance.

Its a mutt of a guitar.
Warmoth neck
Charvel body
Gibson Dirty fingers pick up (1981 original)
spray can evh paint job...basically the whole guitar is spare parts.
plays nice though.
UncleSkillet
Thanks for the pics. That pretty cool. EVH ROCK!

Looks like you went a little deeper from the 12 fret down to 22 and just a litlle form 12 up. Thats probably what I would of done to.

Nice Job! Can't wait to hear it and read what you think.

Rock on Little Eddie. smile.gif
Stevie-Ray-Vaughn
So im lost, could I just scallop one of my giutars by myself right now if I wanted? huh.gif
USAMAN
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Feb 19 2008, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So im lost, could I just scallop one of my giutars by myself right now if I wanted? huh.gif

Well that depends
if it turns into firewood will it bother you?
Thats the ultimate question. I did it to an old neck i wasnt using. I highly suggest practicing on a pile of junk...you may turn it into a jewel
Stevie-Ray-Vaughn
Ahh thanks. I may wait then, as I am planning on building a guitar out of second-hand pieces in the future smile.gif Thanks
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 19 2008, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its a mutt of a guitar.
Warmoth neck
Charvel body
Gibson Dirty fingers pick up (1981 original)
spray can evh paint job...basically the whole guitar is spare parts.
plays nice though.

Great job! The scallop looks beautiful smile.gif
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 19 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did it to an old neck i wasnt using. I highly suggest practicing on a pile of junk...you may turn it into a jewel

I agree 100%. That's a very good advise
Trond Vold
That looks great!
Going to try this on a old beaten up Kaman GTX i got lying around smile.gif
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 19 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That looks great!
Going to try this on a old beaten up Kaman GTX i got lying around smile.gif

Cool! smile.gif
Will you try to break USAMAN's record? 21 frets in 4 hours biggrin.gif
bsamn
I go a new neck (allparts) scalloped.

I actually like the feeling, and yea vibrato's to become easier.

Just had to get used to the neck, but that does not take very long, a day or two. I mean if you have been playing giutar for a while, its just like shifting to diffrent neck profile thats it. Atleast imo.

Anyway of to shredding now wink.gif
Trond Vold
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 19 2008, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool! smile.gif
Will you try to break USAMAN's record? 21 frets in 4 hours biggrin.gif

I will definetly break something while doing this, and it will most likely not the be record smile.gif
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Feb 19 2008, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will definetly break something while doing this, and it will most likely not the be record smile.gif

laugh.gif

Well, I wish you good luck smile.gif
Trond Vold
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 19 2008, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Well, I wish you good luck smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif
blindwillie
QUOTE (USAMAN @ Feb 19 2008, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
neck reprofile:

So, with the neck part, have you noticed the neck being weaker or that you had to adjust the truss rod or something like that?
I'm asking because I've been thinking of doing this to my Revenger.
USAMAN
QUOTE (blindwillie @ Feb 19 2008, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, with the neck part, have you noticed the neck being weaker or that you had to adjust the truss rod or something like that?
I'm asking because I've been thinking of doing this to my Revenger.

I had to do a truss rod adjustment. I took half the thickness out of the neck and I kinda expected it. Truss rod adjustments are nothing magical though (very easy actually). Weaker...nope havent noticed anything out of the ordinary. I did see a neck on ebay one time where the dude recontoured the back of the neck and went through to the truss rod. I would suggest that you are very careful if you plan on changing the back of the neck.
USAMAN
Ok,

I've had some time to tweak my scalloped neck (the back contour). This is my first experience with a scalloped neck.
I've spent some time playing it and here is my take on it.

To start with, performing the scallop job was pretty simple. I have worked with tools (not woodworking) all my life. This may or may not need to get factored into my assessment that its easy. I just kinda jumped in and performed the surgery with a minimal of tools and as much patients as I could muster at 4:00Am. Four hours later I had a scalloped neck in my hands. Still need to apply a finish to the wood ( its kinda nice unfinished though smile.gif
Its maple and you need to be careful with maple necks. The wood is a bit prone to warping without a hard finish.

Second I took a rasp and destroyed...i mean removed a major portion of the back of the neck. I tried to flatten it out on the back similar to my s prestige neck. Its not quite as thin but im becoming increasingly conserned that the truss rod is near. The original contour was a bit of a "v" shape and really fat (picture a baseball bat sawed in half). I have not noticed any instability at all in the neck. I performed a slight truss rod adjustment and its nice and straight, no buzz plays great.

Playing.... at first it felt really wierd and I didnt like it at all. After spending a couple hours going over some of Mr lavendell's amazing compositions (seemed only fitting) It started feeling better (less goofy). Bending notes is definately different. You can get a mighty grip on the strings, however sliding up the neck is going to take some getting use to. Its a fairly bumpy ride....I hope that makes sense as im not sure how else to explain it. I have some serious jumbo frets. The biggest concern that I have heard people voice is that playing chords is tough....not so..its pretty much the same as with a normal neck. Also a concern that I had was that pushing on the strings to hard would make the notes go sharp. Good luck, the distance between frets and the tension of the strings makes this pretty much a non issue. You would have to be trying to intentionally do it IMHO. All in all its a fun toy for me right now. Im sure that it wont just collect dust because it is fun to play, however nothing I have found yet will replace my s 2170 prestige or my Les Paul and Im not taking the files to those.

Peace,
Patrick.
Marcus Lavendell
Thanks for sharing Patrick! smile.gif

It'll take some time to get used to it. Eventually you might even love it! biggrin.gif
i'm still amazed that you only spent 4 hours on the scallop. Good job!
g-forcelover
man. i accedentily was touching the frets, feels weird and kind of bumpy when i bend
glazmusik
Thanks man! Sounds like you did a really fine job!

I was planning on doing this to a project guitar soon, and it's nice to hear of somebody else's experience before I dive in (not to make you into a guinea pig wink.gif )
Patrik Jezierski
finished the scallop of my strat today biggrin.gif it took me about 6 hours and I must say that I'm very pleased over the results. It's not the same guitar anymore! ohmy.gif
I was worried that it would feel awkward to play, but it didn´t, I actually think it's easier to play now tongue.gif The bends are so much easier, the pinch harmonics sounds so much better and marcus lessons are a bit easier to play smile.gif
win/win situation biggrin.gif

Ill post some pics in a few days.
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (g-forcelover @ Mar 2 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man. i accedentily was touching the frets, feels weird and kind of bumpy when i bend

- Not good! That's exactly what you should avoid! sad.gif
It's always best to take your time, and first practice scalloping on a neck that you don't use so you can learn from mistakes like this.

Don't know if you can fix the broken frets, but try with fine sand paper.
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (Patrik Jezierski @ Mar 2 2008, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
finished the scallop of my strat today biggrin.gif it took me about 6 hours and I must say that I'm very pleased over the results. It's not the same guitar anymore! ohmy.gif
I was worried that it would feel awkward to play, but it didn´t, I actually think it's easier to play now tongue.gif The bends are so much easier, the pinch harmonics sounds so much better and marcus lessons are a bit easier to play smile.gif
win/win situation biggrin.gif

Ill post some pics in a few days.

Cool! smile.gif

Can't wait to see those pics smile.gif
Patrik Jezierski
Well heres some pictures, as promised. smile.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Marcus Lavendell
QUOTE (Patrik Jezierski @ Mar 3 2008, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well heres some pictures, as promised. smile.gif

Wow! You went pretty deep there! Looks beautiful!!
Great work Patrik! biggrin.gif
OrganisedConfusion
That looks really cool. smile.gif Good job.
glazmusik
Yeah, Patrick, yours looks gorgeous!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.