Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bending Trouble
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
besip
Hi i'm have somethime proble with bending and the problem is when i'm try to do bend and coming back with the string to basic position or just try to release the string the lower string somethime Ringing specialy when i'm play slow stuff

what is the best way to avoid that or how you do that

it's the best way just muting the lower string or the key is to find the right technique??

Thanks Rene cool.gif
steve25
Yeah you do need a kind of muting technique here. Lets say you're bending using your ring finger, what people usually do is use the middle finger to support it and the index finger to go over the top to the lower strings to mute them. Make sure that your index isn't pushing down at all just muting and that the bending fingers are only pushing the lower strings not holding them down. Hope this helps smile.gif
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah you do need a kind of muting technique here. Lets say you're bending using your ring finger, what people usually do is use the middle finger to support it and the index finger to go over the top to the lower strings to mute them. Make sure that your index isn't pushing down at all just muting and that the bending fingers are only pushing the lower strings not holding them down. Hope this helps smile.gif

thanks Steve actualy most stuff{there is't lot laugh.gif }what i'm work for now .I'm use the index rigth to way after bending on Higer string so probaly on that case i'm have to mute just regulary with the palm right?
steve25
If i'm understanding you rightly you're using the index finger to mute the higher strings? You shouldn't need to. Here's an example:

Let's say you're making a bend on the 15th fret on the B string up to the 17th and back down again. Your ring and middle finger should support the bend while the index finger should rest over the G and D string but don't push down that's the hard bit, is having control not to feel the urge to push down on those strings otherwise you will get string noise. Or at least that was the tough bit for me i kept noticing it would naturally push down because the other fingers were. Hope that made sense smile.gif
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If i'm understanding you rightly you're using the index finger to mute the higher strings? You shouldn't need to. Here's an example:

Let's say you're making a bend on the 15th fret on the B string up to the 17th and back down again. Your ring and middle finger should support the bend while the index finger should rest over the G and D string but don't push down that's the hard bit, is having control not to feel the urge to push down on those strings otherwise you will get string noise. Or at least that was the tough bit for me i kept noticing it would naturally push down because the other fingers were. Hope that made sense smile.gif

nonono i'm mean this now i'm play the David A-minor penta lesson and there on A-minor scale i'm do this

||----------------------------|------------------------------|----------------------|
B||---------------------5------|-----5------------------------|----------------------|
G||---------5--7--7b-------7b--|--L-----7pbr--5---7---5b------|-------5b-------------|
D||-----\7---------------------|----------------7---7---------|--7-------------------|
A||----------------------------|------------------------------|----------------------|
E||----------------------------|------------------------------|----------------------|

so when im bend the 7 fret then i'm play after that with index fret 5 on b string so there is not easi to mute with index the lower string becouse after the bending i'm play the higer string

steve25
Ah well that depends if it is just a bend or a bend and release. If it is a bend you would bend up then mute the bend before going back down. If this is the case then there is no need to use the index finger at all for muting and play the 5th fret on the b with the index. However if it is a bend and release then you will have enough time to use the index finger to mute the other strings and still play the note

EDIT: Where i said there's you mute the bent note on just a bend i meant to say you do that with your palm smile.gif
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah well that depends if it is just a bend or a bend and release. If it is a bend you would bend up then mute the bend before going back down. If this is the case then there is no need to use the index finger at all for muting and play the 5th fret on the b with the index. However if it is a bend and release then you will have enough time to use the index finger to mute the other strings and still play the note

ok i'm got you with pre bend you use the index and with basic bend ..when you ned conect the bend with lower note{with index} you are mute with palm or just play good technique enough to avoid the noise??
steve25
I think you're pretty much there. If you have say the following:

E------------------
B-------------5---
G------7b(9)-----
D-----------------

Then what you are doing is picking the note on the seventh fret, bending up to the 9th fret with whichever fingers are more comfortable and because this is just a bend, you would then mute the G string with your palm and lower the string again. Because you have muted the string with your palm you'll hear no noise when bringing the string back down. Because your palm is resting on the G string it should also be resting on the D and A as well by habit, therefore there is no need to use your index finger. Why not mute this way all the time? Because you might accidentally mute the string you're trying to bend if it is a bend and release or a vibrato, it's actually harder to do it this way because the G string is being bent up towards the d string, it's harder to judge. Now consider this:

E-------------------
B----------------5-
G-----7b(9)r(7)---
D-------------------

What this is, is a bend from the 7th fret up to the 9th, then release the bend back down to the 7th. For this you won't use your palm but rather you index finger to lay across the D and A so that when you release the string it will mute the other 2 strings as they come back down so they won't ring out and you won't get any of that white noise. This is so that while you're as muting those 2 strings your bend will still be heard as you descend the bend. Hope this clears it up for you smile.gif
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you're pretty much there. If you have say the following:

i'm thing i'm got u Steve..actualy without pre bend is ok way to mute with palm which i'm more comfortable but if i'm go to pre bend there is better to mute with index..so i'm never do that this way but i'm will try it cool.gif

thanks for your passion Steve
Rene
steve25
For a pre bend i believe you can use either for when you initially bend up, however when you strike the note it's probably best to take your palm off and let your finger do the muting. Hope you get this sorted let us know if you have any more problems smile.gif
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a pre bend i believe you can use either for when you initially bend up, however when you strike the note it's probably best to take your palm off and let your finger do the muting. Hope you get this sorted let us know if you have any more problems smile.gif

yes i'm try to work on that little time and will se rolleyes.gif
thanks again
besip
i'm was try like 5 min ago this

--10b--10--8--------------------------------|---------------------|
--------------10--8S--5---------------------|---------------------|
-------------------------7--5-----5--7S--9--|---------------------|
-------------------------------7------------|--7\-----------------|
--------------------------------------------|---------------------|
--------------------------------------------|---------------------|

and i'm have problem before with that but thas also work nice with index muting smile.gif
steve25
That licks all good now? That's good to hear smile.gif it might take a little time to get used to but i think it'll be worth it in the long run
besip
QUOTE (steve25 @ Feb 20 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That licks all good now? That's good to hear smile.gif it might take a little time to get used to but i think it'll be worth it in the long run

check the whole lesson..i'm have to go work for couple hours mad.gif rolleyes.gif
thanks man for your help today cool.gif
Rene

i'm not sure what you mean if the licks are good?? but if you talk about my playing it's wasn't be good for while laugh.gif i'm still have to work and work

and if you asking about something diferent TAKE EASY pls unsure.gif

My english understaning isn't good every day tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.