Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motivating Band Members
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
RIP Dime
Hey guys, I got a problem. I joined a band about 6 months ago, and when we first started we were just acquiring the gear we need to gig regularly, and focusing on school. Then during winter we gave ourselves a goal to practice for a couple months, and then be ready to start playing shows by summer. Well it's been almost 2 months, and we haven't practiced once, I call everybody every week, and there seems to be something up with the drummer, the guys in the band say he's the leader(they have been a together for almost 4 years before I joined), but every time I used to call he always had an excuse that always seemed like bull$hit, and now he doesn't even answer. The other members of the band seem even less interested than him. Now, we make great music together in my opinion, and they are experienced, skilled players. So I don't really want to quit.

What do you guys think I should do? I could look for another band, but it is very hard to find skilled, experienced players here. I could wait, and see if they come around. But I'd prefer to find a way to motivate these guys to work together to make great songs and practice playing together. But I have no clue how to do it, help!
SensE
I understand what you feel. Well, I actually had the similar experience as you. My band broke up after 2 years or so because each member was busy with their own life. I've only 1 bass player stick with me so far and always looking for another band. Dude, there is not much you can do since they gave up their dream...If i were you, i will keep up practising, wait for another band appear. I believe, you will find a more skillful band, someday. Trust me wink.gif
RIP Dime
QUOTE (SensE @ Feb 24 2008, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand what you feel. Well, I actually had the similar experience as you. My band broke up after 2 years or so because each member was busy with their own life. I've only 1 bass player stick with me so far and always looking for another band. Dude, there is not much you can do since they gave up their dream...If i were you, i will keep up practising, wait for another band appear. I believe, you will find a more skillful band, someday. Trust me wink.gif

Thanks man, I'm always practicing, just recently since nothing was happening with band, I've gone in the woodshed and have been practicing my ass off, and it's been paying off. I think I'm just going to be straight with my band, and tell them if we don't practice we'll never achieve anything. I think they may just be scared to commit themsleves fully to the band, I think they want a safe, secure life, witch music definately doesn't provide. I just want to do what I love, play music.
SensE
he he he~ Full respect ! I'm playing my ass off too.. I would not give up playing music
Well, where do you stay by the way ?
albino
Sympathies with your problem.
Unfortunately some styles of music attract a few people who want to be in a band for all the wrong reasons and you will have to be patient to get the right bandmates. What I mean is that there are people who want to be in a rock band and they have some good skills but they want to live the rock lifestyle without trying too hard to be musicians first.
It took three bands before I was happy with the fellow bandmates. There was the drummer who never had money to help pay for the rehearsal room, and he needed to borrow bits of kit from the singer!! [he had enough money for 'recreational' drugs though and this threw his timing way off]. Then the guitarist who didn't play to enhance the overall band sound; he played the loudest and kept turning his amp up to 11. I asked him 'Do you take drugs?' to which he replied 'No......just the odd tab of acid' !!!! Once again, this severely [badly] affected his playing and then his reliability.
After you put up band notices everywhere clearly stating your influences, someone turns up for an audition wearing a pill-box hat, an embroidered jacket, and who hasn't even heard of any of the influences, he just likes world music.
Stick with it though and be upfront with your current lineup; say that you will be looking around for a hardworking band that practices regularly. They will either lift their game or tell you to leave them. Either way, you won't be wasting a year of your time with people who are showing you a glimpse of worse things to come. Hope this helps.
RIP Dime
QUOTE (albino @ Feb 24 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sympathies with your problem.
Unfortunately some styles of music attract a few people who want to be in a band for all the wrong reasons and you will have to be patient to get the right bandmates. What I mean is that there are people who want to be in a rock band and they have some good skills but they want to live the rock lifestyle without trying too hard to be musicians first.
It took three bands before I was happy with the fellow bandmates. There was the drummer who never had money to help pay for the rehearsal room, and he needed to borrow bits of kit from the singer!! [he had enough money for 'recreational' drugs though and this threw his timing way off]. Then the guitarist who didn't play to enhance the overall band sound; he played the loudest and kept turning his amp up to 11. I asked him 'Do you take drugs?' to which he replied 'No......just the odd tab of acid' !!!! Once again, this severely [badly] affected his playing and then his reliability.
After you put up band notices everywhere clearly stating your influences, someone turns up for an audition wearing a pill-box hat, an embroidered jacket, and who hasn't even heard of any of the influences, he just likes world music.
Stick with it though and be upfront with your current lineup; say that you will be looking around for a hardworking band that practices regularly. They will either lift their game or tell you to leave them. Either way, you won't be wasting a year of your time with people who are showing you a glimpse of worse things to come. Hope this helps.

Cool man, I do think being upfront with them about this is the best, thanks.

SensE: I'm from Oahu.
Ivan Milenkovic

REMEMBER: the band is not good because it has experienced players, that band is good if they act as one, are interested in music, making songs and do a lot of hard work to accomplish their goals !

So, I wouldn't waste my time with those guys. You play and practice as much as you can, and write your own songs, and pretty soon some another better chance will appear.
Luciana Segovia
I always say: "... This is my train. My train goes to 100 km per hour, is not going to diminish the speed waiting for nobody dry.gif . If you want to travel with me, you are welcome, and you have to go to the same speed than me" wink.gif
RIP Dime
QUOTE (Luciana @ Feb 25 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always say: "... This is my train. My train goes to 100 km per hour, is not going to diminish the speed waiting for nobody dry.gif . If you want to travel with me, you are welcome, and you have to go to the same speed than me" wink.gif

That's a great way to put it. smile.gif
Toni Suominen
I know how that feels, I've been in a similar situation. I suggest you atleast try to find somebody else to play with, who are interested and commited to the project. smile.gif

Best of luck!
Nemanja Filipovic
I think every band has the same problems...diferent situations, but same problems...
there is that.."the band memebers are not interested in this like me" thing......I think that is why every body in a band have deferent prospective...If you are the one who strted a band and you wright songs and do every thing....that will not last long...becouse the tipe of a band wich is:we are young and we are going to make it with our music, requiers job for every one in the band...and if that is not like that...suner or latter there will come to break up...just talking from mine expiriance.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.