Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tune Down 1/2 Step
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
dango
Hi, all. If anyone could help me?
I am tuning down 1/2 step to 6=Eb, 5=Ab, 4=Db, etc. I am using Fender Digital Guitar Tuner. So for example when I am tuning for Eb, should I tune on 6E -50cent ?, that the meter goes toward far left on the tuner. Is that collect way to do? But I can't get it right, because when meter goes to far left, it tend to change to 4D or something like that, and also the string G are sounds out of tune, so i can't follow the meter. Is there any other better way tune down?

Then, altlhough not so happy i managed tune down, then when I played the chord E5, it sounds ringing. again 3G are problem. Is that got to do with I am not press that key strong enough or what?

tks
OrganisedConfusion
Your tuner sounds like it can only tune to EADGBE. So it can be quite tricky to use.
OrganisedConfusion
To do it keep playing fret 6 on the A string and tune the E string till it sounds like the 6th fret on the A string.

Then fret 6 on D string and tune A string to that note

Then fret 6 on G string and tune D string to that note

Then fret 7 on B string and tune G string to that note

Then fret 6 on high E string and tune B string to that note

Then tune the high E string so that it sounds like fret 5 on the B string
dango
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 29 2008, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To do it keep playing fret 6 on the A string and tune the E string till it sounds like the 6th fret on the A string.

Then fret 6 on D string and tune A string to that note

Then fret 6 on G string and tune D string to that note

Then fret 7 on B string and tune G string to that note

Then fret 6 on high E string and tune B string to that note

Then tune the high E string so that it sounds like fret 5 on the B string

thank you very much
I will try. smile.gif
RIP Dime
I suggest Korg tuners.
rokchik
Hey Dango here is a neat little trick I use for this tuning.

Do you have a capo? If so place it on the first fret and then tune each string until your in standard tuning. Remove the capo and presto your tuned a half step down smile.gif

If no capo then just fret each string individually and do the same. Hope you find this useful.

rok
Robin
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 29 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have a capo? If so place it on the first fret and then tune each string until your in standard tuning. Remove the capo and presto your tuned a half step down smile.gif

If no capo then just fret each string individually and do the same. Hope you find this useful.

rok

+1 tongue.gif
FretDancer69
QUOTE (dango @ Feb 29 2008, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, all. If anyone could help me?
I am tuning down 1/2 step to 6=Eb, 5=Ab, 4=Db, etc. I am using Fender Digital Guitar Tuner. So for example when I am tuning for Eb, should I tune on 6E -50cent ?, that the meter goes toward far left on the tuner. Is that collect way to do? But I can't get it right, because when meter goes to far left, it tend to change to 4D or something like that, and also the string G are sounds out of tune, so i can't follow the meter. Is there any other better way tune down?

Then, altlhough not so happy i managed tune down, then when I played the chord E5, it sounds ringing. again 3G are problem. Is that got to do with I am not press that key strong enough or what?

tks

i also have this tuner man, its only good for Standard and Drop D tuning, for Eb i have to tune by ear. sad.gif
albino
Are you playing Hendrix because as far as I know, he played with his guitar tuned down to Eb. I wondered why Voodoo Chile was hard to play until I read this.
KloCkWorXx
whats the tuning have to do with the difficutly of playing a song? lol
UncleSkillet
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 29 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rok

Great tip! Thanks. smile.gif
Slammer
QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Feb 29 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For some ppl(Well, for me at least)

I find that Eb tuning makes the strings a bit looser and easy to bend, esp on the Solo.
rokchik
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Feb 29 2008, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great tip! Thanks. smile.gif

Glad I could help smile.gif
FretDancer69
QUOTE (KloCkWorXx @ Feb 29 2008, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif laugh.gif maybe he was referring to the sound
dango
QUOTE (rokchik @ Feb 29 2008, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rok

wow, that's sounds very easy. I am going to get that. Tks smile.gif
dango
QUOTE (albino @ Mar 1 2008, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you playing Hendrix because as far as I know, he played with his guitar tuned down to Eb. I wondered why Voodoo Chile was hard to play until I read this.

No, actually, I am playing 'Basket Case' Green Day. That how i started to play the guitar, I wanated to play Green Day!!! But I couldn't really, from the biggining there was tunde down problem, so it was never sounds right, I used to spend ages to tuning so I got bit bored to play. I haven't played for ages, but it has been 2 years since I stared play the guitar, so I thought I might try again. Because my hearing may be better than before, so I can tune better.

It was enjoyable to play. Plam muting is tricky for me bit ( i am not pressing hard enough), and when I play sounds ringing, so it's not great, but.... smile.gif

Is there any tip to play this nicely? smile.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
TO play palm muting nicely? You need to mute the strings almost at the bridge and play softly and slowly at first, and work your way to a more agressive playing, watching the sound all the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.