Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scales Played Over Which Chords?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > INSTRUCTORS > Kristofer Dahl
bryant
Would it be possible to list out a simple listing of major and minor chords that would particularly play well over a particular scale. For example, C major scale can be played nicely over Cmaj chord, Am, etc.

I've seen several lists like this before on other sites but I can't remember where. I couldn't remember if it tabulated a set of chords and listed what scales went well with the chord, or vica-versa.

If you could list out a couple of samples for a few major and minor chords, we could transpose from there, or perhaps list by degrees such as I II III IV, etc.

Does this make any sense.

This way I can learn to practice changing to suitable scales over chord changes in a song or backing track.
Kristofer Dahl
Yes absolutely - we have already got this I believe in Andrews awesome theory lessons! smile.gif

This is one of the topics covering this (scroll down a little and you will find exactly what you are looking for the key of C):

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3160

. For example, the key of C/Am has the following characteristic chords:

C, Dm, Em F, G, Am, Bdim

These exact chords work for A minor scale as well (the "relative minor" key of C major). So if you want to know the chords for the B minor scale you can just move them up two frets (a "whole" step).

Hope it helps! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.