Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help In Speeding Up..:(
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > PRACTICE ROOM
Jakub Luptovec
Its forth day, that I am practicing fourth lick of Ivans pentatonic slides.. and I still cant get faster even for 1 stupid BPM.. Firstly.. I went very quickly - in half an hour, I have been playing 70 BPM without a problem (16th notes) in a next hour, I got on 80 and was able to play it without a mistake..

but after practicing for another 10 minutes I had to actually slow down on 50 BPM - my fingers started to do weird things and absoluetely stopped to play the pattern, I've been learning all the day.. It just got STUCK at one of the notes and there was no way to break throuth this issue, than to go at 50 and start to slowly rise the bpm up.. when I went to bed that day, I was playing at 75..

Another day, the same scheme - I did it on 75 and I was ABSOLUETELY SURE, I can play it absoluetely clearly.. and when I went on 80, I played that lick 3 times.. then again the strange thing happened.. I had to go on 50 and slowly work my way towards 75... and after few plays at 80.. I just fallen down again sad.gif

I am starting to get desperate.. I still cant play any faster.. and I am practicing for fourth day... around 4 hours every day - first day even 6 hours of practice..

What should I do? Help please sad.gif
SinoMan
Take a day off, then first day play 1 hour at 50 bpm, second 2 hours 50 bpm, third 2 hours 60 bpm etc.

According to one fantastic musician, more than 5 hours a day on your instrument and you're wasting time.
Kizaze44
Sounds to me like you're overworking the muscles - thus losing speed/coordination. For me, when I can't play for a day I think I'm losing ground, but actually the opposite thing happens - I seem to gain a little speed after a short break.

-Kiz
Matt23
This has happened to me. I would stop playing it when you feel you have done well. Have a break maybe play something else on the guitar before you go back to it. Also it could be you haven't warmed up the second time you tried it.
Hope this helps
Jakub Luptovec
Acutally.. I have been playing 4 days for 16 hours a day (not still practicing though - mostly composing..).. maybe I am really just overworked:D Btw. I am always warming up:)
SinoMan
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 26 2008, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Acutally.. I have been playing 4 days for 16 hours a day (not still practicing though - mostly composing..).. maybe I am really just overworked:D Btw. I am always warming up:)

That's WAY WAY WAY too much. Steve Vai practices 10 hours a day, and he's insane. Session musicians don't practice more than 10. I would say they often practice much less.
Bogdan Radovic
I would recommend to make a break for few days to just relax yourself ...Watch movies , play sports anything but guitar wink.gif Then when you come back to it you will be refreshed smile.gif
Trond Vold
I dont think you should count how much you practice each day.
Play when you want to, even if it's 1 hour a day you might get more out of it then forcing yourself to play 5-10 hours.
Playing should be fun, not a chore.

It does sound like you are overworked and forcing yourself too much. So do what Bogdan said, take a break and relax a bit smile.gif

Sometimes when you are struggling with something, taking a break actually helps.
Muris Varajic
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 26 2008, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont think you should count how much you practice each day.
Play when you want to, even if it's 1 hour a day you might get more out of it then forcing yourself to play 5-10 hours.
Playing should be fun, not a chore.

It does sound like you are overworked and forcing yourself too much. So do what Bogdan said, take a break and relax a bit smile.gif

Sometimes when you are struggling with something, taking a break actually helps.

+1 Signing this in total.

Don't count time while practicing,just play.
When it doesn't work well,just take a break or try to practice something else.
Ivan Milenkovic
Seems like you're pushing yourself too hard both on my lesson, both in overall playing. You advanced fast to the 70bpm, but did you start from whole notes and focused to have your hands without tension and properly playing? When you hit the sealing, you have to stop imediatly. Practicing sloppy will make things worse, and tomorrow you will start all over again. I fyou practice that exercice 5 days up to 70bpm perfectly, then I guarantee you'll have some improvement on the 6th day. Usually it's much sooner, if you work your sessions more wisely.
Tjchep
Take a day off..

after warm up play the lick at 100 bpm.. Go down to 90 bpm.. then back to 80, then go from there.

And man, speed isnt everything... smile.gif. Just another tool under your belt.
Jakub Luptovec
Well here is the probolem - I dont have to push myself to continue playing - I have to push myself to STOP playing:D I am normally practicing all the time I can spend on it. I just lay my guitar down and go to bed.. but suddenly... I have an idea, so I immediately get up again, take guitar, play it and then record it.. not to forget it..

So I am having fun... I am not pushing my self - no reason to do this.. But the better I play, the bigger the fun is..

I also always work on more things at once - 4 or 5 to be exact .. i consider my practice routine good.. its just that I cant advance with this specific lick:D Maybe I really should give it a little more time.. It's just about that 'till now, I nailed everything very quickly.. and I am just not maybe used on this tongue.gif

Thanks for advices:) Keep them comming, if you want smile.gif I appreciate them greatly !
Ivan Milenkovic
Pushing yourself too hard doesn't mean that you force yourself to practice. It means that you are going for more than you can so to speak. Take a brake for a couple of days and leave the brain to cool down, you will play even better then. CHeers! smile.gif
SinoMan
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 27 2008, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well here is the probolem - I dont have to push myself to continue playing - I have to push myself to STOP playing:D I am normally practicing all the time I can spend on it. I just lay my guitar down and go to bed.. but suddenly... I have an idea, so I immediately get up again, take guitar, play it and then record it.. not to forget it..

So I am having fun... I am not pushing my self - no reason to do this.. But the better I play, the bigger the fun is..

I also always work on more things at once - 4 or 5 to be exact .. i consider my practice routine good.. its just that I cant advance with this specific lick:D Maybe I really should give it a little more time.. It's just about that 'till now, I nailed everything very quickly.. and I am just not maybe used on this tongue.gif

Thanks for advices:) Keep them comming, if you want smile.gif I appreciate them greatly !

You are addicted. You MUST take a break NOW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.