Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With Sweeping!
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pavel Denisjuk > Techniques Quest (Pavel)
syngates21
hey pavel, im a little confused im a beginner at sweeping and also a beginner for alternate picking and im wondering, if i should learn how to alternate pick like a master before i learn how to sweep
Smikey2006
Just giving you a heads up that Pavel is no longer an instructor here and therefore may not respond.. im sure some other helpful members will be able to give you the advice pavel would have smile.gif

my advice is that alternate picking is more important than sweeping but its never too early or late to try out a new technique smile.gif
Trond Vold
Mastering alternate picking should definetly come before sweeping.
I can see the temptation of wanting to learn how to sweep, but the nessessary basics should be practiced first.
shellshock1911
Don't overemphasise sweeping. I know people that think guitar is only about how fast you can sweep and "shred." Lol. It is just ONE technique. I learned sweeping first and have just started getting good at really fast alternate picking lately, I would say learn alternate picking though, I don't know, they are both fun and useful.

EDIT: When you ask if you want to learn how to alternate pick first, I am not sure what you mean. If you can't alternate pick at all, definately master that first. But if you have got that down, and the alternate picking you are talking about is speedpicking (really fast alternate picking), I would still choose that first but you could just practice them at the same time.
seagull
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 30 2008, 11:31 PM) *
Mastering alternate picking should definetly come before sweeping.
I can see the temptation of wanting to learn how to sweep, but the nessessary basics should be practiced first.

Yeah, well, it depends on how you define "master" alternate picking. If it's just knowing that it's altering between up and downstrokes and incorporating it into your playing, then I agree.
If it's to master it like Muris for instance, I simply HAVE to disagree, 'cuz I started sweeping even though I'm not anywhere near as exquisitely skilled as Muris. laugh.gif
Trond Vold
QUOTE (seagull @ Mar 31 2008, 12:38 AM) *
Yeah, well, it depends on how you define "master" alternate picking. If it's just knowing that it's altering between up and downstrokes and incorporating it into your playing, then I agree.
If it's to master it like Muris for instance, I simply HAVE to disagree, 'cuz I started sweeping even though I'm not anywhere near as exquisitely skilled as Muris. laugh.gif

Hehe.. good point smile.gif
I meant offcource mastering it to the point where you have no problems altering between up and downstrokes and can use it for average stuff smile.gif
seagull
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 31 2008, 12:39 AM) *
Hehe.. good point smile.gif
I meant offcource mastering it to the point where you have no problems altering between up and downstrokes and can use it for average stuff smile.gif

Then we agree completely. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.