Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tip Of The Day #1
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Instructors Corner
Andrew Cockburn

"A note in itself doesn't mean anything unless it is played in reference to another one ..."

Welcome to the first in our series of tips of the day - this will be a frequent feature here on the instructors board - we will post a tip from a particular instructor, then discuss it giving experience and insight into what the tip means to us individually
Nemanja Filipovic
great idea Andrew.......
I agree with David on this one....I think that is hard to give a meaning to one note with out another...
Bogdan Radovic
Great tip!
We need to choose notes carefully , as in life, when choosing right words to express ourself! smile.gif
Nemanja Filipovic
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Apr 15 2008, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great tip!
We need to choose notes carefully , as in life, when choosing right words to express ourself! smile.gif

good line Bole...music is a great representation of our life's ....
Andrew Cockburn
Knowing the way that David approaches his compositions and lessons, I would say that the intent behind this tip is to make you think more deeply about chord progresions and scales. A note on its own is nothing, but add it to some others in a scale and you set the mood of the melody, and start to choose the chords you can use.

It would be a fun exercise to start with a single note, and see how many different directions you can take it in a short amount of time - do you go major or minor? Is it the root or 3rd of the scale you are going to use? None of these questions have meaning for a single note, but as soon as you add a second or 3rd, they define it and cement it into a particular direction.

In the end, composition is about choices - one note is no choice really, it is just a jumping off point. Each subsequent note you add removes choice, but defines direction.
Nemanja Filipovic
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 15 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the end, composition is about choices - one note is no choice really, it is just a jumping off point. Each subsequent note you add removes choice, but defines direction.

well sad Andrew.I never think about it that way.....
MickeM
I beg to differ, there's one single exception to that rule. One!

Proven HERE at 2:40
and HERE at 2:25

I'd go a see a concert with just that note wink.gif

man... you have to agree that single note is well played. It's quiet before and quiet after, he lifts one single tone out and the audience just loves it.
Nemanja Filipovic
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 15 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beg to differ, there's one single exception to that rule. One!

Proven HERE at 2:40
and HERE at 2:25

I'd go a see a concert with just that note wink.gif

man... you have to agree that single note is well played. It's quiet before and quiet after, he lifts one single tone out and the audience just loves it.

yeah you are wright,but notes before and after that long note,give that same note some sense,IMO...

Pablo Vazquez
Great tip! wink.gif
Marcus Siepen
there is so much truth to this tip! You always have to see the whole thing (song, solo, whatever), and not just focus on a single note.
Muris Varajic
Spot on bro, for love or relationship we need 2 at least. biggrin.gif
Ivan Milenkovic
Very nicely said, only a intelligent use of melodic intervals can be appreciated as a good quality music ;:)
Dejan Farkas
As Claude Debussy said: “Music is the space between the notes.”

It is a magic to hear more notes than actually played, but for that you need to leave enough space for your mind to fill with more smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.