Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good Starter Set?
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > More instructors > Pavel Denisjuk > Gear Talk (Pavel)
MortenDK
Hey there Pavel,
new to this site, but seem some of your lessons and quite impressed. Just great smile.gif

Well now to the actual question. I'm a 22 year old guy, I got an electric guitar like 8-10 years ago, and I played it for a few years in a class, but the as the secind teacher stopped they couldn't get a new one and I quit playing. A month ago or so I just found my old guitar, and amp - the guitar is just a cheap guitar, and the head says "vision", the amp is a (really old as I got it used back then) peavey rage 158. I put it together and started playing a bit, but it the sound is pretty crap to be honest, and a very loud buzz when the strings are open, so I went to the local music store to see what they got, and the guy there showed me some different stuff. I would like a good beginner setup that can last, and I don't mind throwing in some extra bucks to get some better stuff, but you know - not the high end pro stuff for like $5000. The set I'm thinking about buying is a Ibanez SA120 and a Roland Cube 60 amp. I played it for a few mins in the store, but wasn't really able to test it there, but the sound was great and so was the guitar. The set cost around $1000, but is it a good beginner set? I really like all the functions and effects the amp had, and guitar felt good.

Would this be a good set to start playing with - at first just for fun at home, but you never know what it will lead to smile.gif

And as the guy in the store said - the amp was ok for even small gigs, so that's pretty cool. The Cube 30 should be big enough to play at home, but I'm like.... why not just invest the extra $200 and get duoble size wich eventualy can be used for more than just home practice?

Thank you

Morten
audiopaal
As Pavel doesn't post here anymore I could answer about the starter set..

That should be a very good starter set smile.gif

The Roland Cube is great, I own a smaller version and it's awesome for the price smile.gif
Haven't tried that specific Ibanez though, but they usually make great guitars so my guess is that it should be more than sufficient smile.gif

About the size of the amp: If you're planning on gigging/practicing with an amp, go for the 60.
But if you planning on just practicing at home for fun, go for the 30 smile.gif

Welcome to GMC by the way, glad you've joined smile.gif
MortenDK
Oh didn't know he didn't post here anymore, just read that he knew stuff about Ibanez, and thought I might ask here.

The guy in the store showed me another Ibanez model (I don't remember the model / serie, wich is why I didn't mention it), but he said the SA120 was a very good guitar for the price, and that Ibanez in generel made very good guitars at a good price, wich sounds good to me.

Yeah I don't know how far this will take me, but I know some guys playing and maybe someday play some small gigs and stuff, wich is why I think I will just go for the 60 instead of the 30, as the price difference isn't that big at all.

But glad to hear you are very satisfied with yours, the guy in the store had a cube 60 aswell and used it for gigs with his band and was very happy about it, so think that's the way I'm gonna go smile.gif

And thank you for the warm welcome, and quick answer smile.gif

Glad I joined too, been looking here for a week or so, and tried some of the free lessons, but needed to try whole lessons instead, and to be honest the $30 for 3 months is like nothing when you look at all the great lessons, tips, backing, etc on this site. Very glad I joined too biggrin.gif

See ya around
audiopaal
QUOTE (MortenDK @ Apr 15 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh didn't know he didn't post here anymore, just read that he knew stuff about Ibanez, and thought I might ask here.

The guy in the store showed me another Ibanez model (I don't remember the model / serie, wich is why I didn't mention it), but he said the SA120 was a very good guitar for the price, and that Ibanez in generel made very good guitars at a good price, wich sounds good to me.

Yeah I don't know how far this will take me, but I know some guys playing and maybe someday play some small gigs and stuff, wich is why I think I will just go for the 60 instead of the 30, as the price difference isn't that big at all.

But glad to hear you are very satisfied with yours, the guy in the store had a cube 60 aswell and used it for gigs with his band and was very happy about it, so think that's the way I'm gonna go smile.gif

And thank you for the warm welcome, and quick answer smile.gif

Glad I joined too, been looking here for a week or so, and tried some of the free lessons, but needed to try whole lessons instead, and to be honest the $30 for 3 months is like nothing when you look at all the great lessons, tips, backing, etc on this site. Very glad I joined too biggrin.gif

See ya around

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet for the price smile.gif

You're welcome mate smile.gif

No it's really cheap when you see what you get for the price!

Glad you like it here, see you around smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.